Invasive animal species and the first precept

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
pilgrim

Invasive animal species and the first precept

Post by pilgrim »

If an invasive species is causing havoc to the natural environment how would you deal with it as a Buddhist? Would you break the precept ? If not, would you side-step the issue and let someone else deal with the problem? Or would you say it's not a problem and let the invasive animal species dominate the environment possibly causing the extinction of local animal species?
Polar Bear

Re: Invasive animal species and the first precept

Post by Polar Bear »

I would encourage the government to look into finding ways of sterilizing the invasive species.

https://www.biosciencetechnology.com/ne ... opulations

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
binocular

Post by binocular »

polarbear101 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:57 am I would encourage the government to look into finding ways of sterilizing the invasive species.

Do you know if they have found a solution for the invasion of the red/black/brown slug?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

binocular wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:50 am
polarbear101 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:57 am I would encourage the government to look into finding ways of sterilizing the invasive species.

Do you know if they have found a solution for the invasion of the red/black/brown slug?
I do not. I should also add that I am not aware of an invasive species that has been eradicated solely through sterilization. But I imagine if we put enough R&D into it, it could be done.

"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Interesting technique but not intended primarily for pest species -
Popular Science wrote:If this method proves to be similarly effective in other species, it could replace spaying or neutering household pets like cats and dogs. But it could also be helpful to limit the numbers of pest species, such as deer (many of which currently receive hormone-blocking shots every few years) or rodents such as, well, mice.

One day, similar technology may even work to make reliable long-term birth control in humans, according to Science News. But in the more foreseeable future, finding a way to easily reduce the large populations of feral cats or destructive deer might just be enough. As Science notes, “A cheaper, faster method of sterilization is considered a holy grail for animal population control.”
The smaller and more numerous the target species, the less cost-effective the technique becomes.

:namaste:
Kim
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Kim OHara wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:50 pm
The smaller and more numerous the target species, the less cost-effective the technique becomes.

Kim
A while ago, I read something about using a synthesised sex hormone to disrupt the breeding cycle of an insect pest. No need to chase and vasectomise every critter if we can get them to hump something inappropriate!
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Interesting technique but not intended primarily for pest species -
Popular Science wrote:If this method proves to be similarly effective in other species, it could replace spaying or neutering household pets like cats and dogs. But it could also be helpful to limit the numbers of pest species, such as deer (many of which currently receive hormone-blocking shots every few years) or rodents such as, well, mice.

One day, similar technology may even work to make reliable long-term birth control in humans, according to Science News. But in the more foreseeable future, finding a way to easily reduce the large populations of feral cats or destructive deer might just be enough. As Science notes, “A cheaper, faster method of sterilization is considered a holy grail for animal population control.”

Kim
Right, there are other sterilization techniques that could be helpful though. The thing I'm thinking of may not be feasible due to the possibility of unwanted mutation, but I imagine it would be possible to create a virus that renders a species infertile. You'd want to make sure that the virus would only and could only attack the target species though, or we might wind up as the last generation on earth. But anyway, like I said, with enough R&D, I imagine we could make sterilization far more viable, utilizing various different techniques.

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Sam Vara wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:56 pm

Kim
A while ago, I read something about using a synthesised sex hormone to disrupt the breeding cycle of an insect pest. No need to chase and vasectomise every critter if we can get them to hump something inappropriate!
This is not that project but is similar in transmission - https://blogs.biomedcentral.com/bugbitt ... t-malaria/.

:coffee:
Kim
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Perhaps not considered an invasive species, but some municipalities, including Las Vegas have apparently solved the feral cat problem with sterilization. They trap, neuter, and release. They make a small clip cut on the cat's ears, so that if it gets captured again, they'll know that it is already neutered and then just release it. (I suppose with a male, it would be pretty easy to see a neutered cat, but with a female, you can't tell from a visual look.) No more euthanasia of unwanted cats.
:woohoo:
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

DNS wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:34 am Perhaps not considered an invasive species, ...
Absolutely an invasive species!
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... ry/5802204
http://www.australianwildlife.org/field ... earch.aspx

Kim
Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

why so eager to break the precepts
killing is wrong objectively
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

pilgrim wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:46 pm If an invasive species is causing havoc to the natural environment how would you deal with it as a Buddhist? Would you break the precept ? If not, would you side-step the issue and let someone else deal with the problem? Or would you say it's not a problem and let the invasive animal species dominate the environment possibly causing the extinction of local animal species?
We humans are a very invasive species. :tongue:

But seriously, invasive species are usually just better at adapting, and therefore more successful. Instead of meddling in how other species adapt and evolve, we we might do better to reflect on the damage that we are doing to to the natural world.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
binocular

Post by binocular »

Dinsdale wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:56 amInstead of meddling in how other species adapt and evolve, we we might do better to reflect on the damage that we are doing to to the natural world.
That is all fine and well, but the invasive species can do a lot of damage as well, to the point of destruction.

Take for example the red/brown/black slug invasion that we have in central Europe (and elsewhere). If the slugs aren't destroyed, they eat up all young plants, and also some small animals. Those invading slugs will eat rainworms alive!

It's a big problem.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Makes me think of my thread Killing Rats

I had to resort to killing them using my super efficient rat trap. No other way. I tried not to. But no other way. Breaking the First Precept did not come easy but what has to be done, has to be done. If it is any consolation .. I do it without any malice and lot of sadness.

In spite of my belief in Buddhism, I believe I am allowed to defend myself against all enemies and that includes rodents and mosquitoes (only living things I kill).

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
JMGinPDX

Post by JMGinPDX »

Then there's the perspective that the Precept is just a training rule and not a law, and for laypeople at least, one designed to help us remain compassionate and respectful of all living creatures, and to detach from the anger, carelessness and lack of compassion that motivate harm against living creatures.
While there's no escaping the bad kamma that results from intentionally harming a living creature, if the harm is approached with mindfulness and wisdom, and all other options have been sought, sometimes there is simply no other solution, and the effects of the kamma can hopefully be minimized.
As I heard one teacher say "sometimes you just have to decide who is going to live in the house and who isn't."
Right now, it's like this...