Mental ilness, causes and apaya realms

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
D1W1

Mental ilness, causes and apaya realms

Post by D1W1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:52 am

Hi guys,

Mental illness is not uncommon in modern society, from mild to severe illness. Depression, (generalized) anxiety disorder, panic disorder and schizophrenia, to name a few. Do people with (long-term) mental illness are "destined" to be reborn in one of lower realms or they're just illness rather than unwholesome state of mind? What is the cause of mental illness from Dhamma point of view?

Garrib

Re: Mental ilness, causes and apaya realms

Post by Garrib » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:00 am

D1W1 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:52 am
Hi guys,

Mental illness is not uncommon in modern society, from mild to severe illness. Depression, (generalized) anxiety disorder, panic disorder and schizophrenia, to name a few. Do people with (long-term) mental illness are "destined" to be reborn in one of lower realms or they're just illness rather than unwholesome state of mind? What is the cause of mental illness from Dhamma point of view?
Ultimate cause = avijja. Since most of us have avijja, most of us are or will become, mentally ill. Of course it is a spectrum - there are various degrees of mental health. Any mental state is an impermanent condition, and it can be overcome once and for all with attainment of the path.

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:18 am

D1W1 wrote:
Do people with (long-term) mental illness are "destined" to be reborn in one of lower realms or they're just illness rather than unwholesome state of mind?
For severe neurological types of mental illness, its probably best or wise to say they're "just illness"; given the person often has little control over their situation. My impression of the doctrine of kamma is it is about intentional/volitional action. Where as the doctrine of illness ('affliction') is about lacking control or lacking volition.
Bhikkhus, form is nonself. For if, bhikkhus, form were self, this form would not lead to affliction, and it would be possible to have it of form: ‘Let my form be thus; let my form not be thus.’ But because form is nonself, form leads to affliction, and it is not possible to have it of form: ‘Let my form be thus; let my form not be thus.’

Feeling is nonself…. … Perception is nonself…. Formations are nonself…. Consciousness is nonself. For if, bhikkhus, consciousness were self, this consciousness would not lead to affliction, and it would be possible to have it of consciousness: ‘Let my consciousness be thus; let my consciousness not be thus.’ But because consciousness is nonself, consciousness leads to affliction, and it is not possible to have it of consciousness: ‘Let my consciousness be thus; let my consciousness not be thus.’

https://suttacentral.net/en/sn22.59
So it is, householder, so it is! This body of yours is afflicted, weighed down, encumbered. If anyone carrying around this body were to claim to be healthy even for a moment, what is that due to other than foolishness?

https://suttacentral.net/en/sn22.1

binocular

Post by binocular » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:17 pm

D1W1 wrote:
Mental illness is not uncommon in modern society, from mild to severe illness. Depression, (generalized) anxiety disorder, panic disorder and schizophrenia, to name a few.
"Mental illness" is something defined by a vote of a group of medical professionals who, like people normally do, are first and foremost protecting their interests ...