Daily life, silent mind or not?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
zan

Daily life, silent mind or not?

Post by zan »

I practice jhana in the vein of, but not identical to the commentary tradition. So there are ideally zero thoughts when I meditate (ideally being the key word here, I'm not a meditation master).

That being said, what of daily life? I drive for a living, should I also be trying to have zero thoughts and focus 100% on the road? What about when grocery shopping, cooking dinner and so on: silence and focus at all of these times as well?

The other alternative that I know of is noting as in Insight Meditation. Of course this would be noting whatever you are doing. I believe Venerable Nyanaponika Thera said that one could take whatever one was engaged in as one's meditation object. So in the case of cooking, for example, one would note "stirring, stirring" "grasping..." "chopping..." etc.

Are both correct?

What do the suttas say specifically? What is a person supposed to do with their mind during the course of normal daily activities?
Assume all of my words on dhamma could be incorrect. Seek an arahant for truth.

"If we base ourselves on the Pali Nikayas, then we should be compelled to conclude that Buddhism is realistic. There is no explicit denial anywhere of the external world. Nor is there any positive evidence to show that the world is mind-made or simply a projection of subjective thoughts. That Buddhism recognizes the extra-mental existence of matter and the external world is clearly suggested by the texts. Throughout the discourses it is the language of realism that one encounters.
-Y. Karunadasa
Zom

Re: Daily life, silent mind or not?

Post by Zom »

What is a person supposed to do with their mind during the course of normal daily activities?
Do normal daily activities.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Discursive thought only ceases in the second Jhana. When not in meditation the Buddha teaches us to be developing thoughts rooted in renunciation, goodwill and compassion. Also any thoughts that help you to remain mindful and keep you grounded in the moment should be developed. There is nothing special about a silent mind, the Buddha says even infants are free from thoughts.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

When in "Rome", do as the locals do. Only be mindful that "Rome" isn't your true home. Be aware- not silent which is impossible when carrying out daily activities like driving.
[2] "Furthermore, when walking, the monk discerns, 'I am walking.' When standing, he discerns, 'I am standing.' When sitting, he discerns, 'I am sitting.' When lying down, he discerns, 'I am lying down.' Or however his body is disposed, that is how he discerns it.

[3] "Furthermore, when going forward & returning, he makes himself fully alert; when looking toward & looking away... when bending & extending his limbs... when carrying his outer cloak, his upper robe & his bowl... when eating, drinking, chewing, & savoring... when urinating & defecating... when walking, standing, sitting, falling asleep, waking up, talking, & remaining silent, he makes himself fully alert.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

zan wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:33 pm I drive for a living, should I also be trying to have zero thoughts and focus 100% on the road?
I hope so. ;)
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

zan wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:33 pm I practice jhana in the vein of, but not identical to the commentary tradition. So there are ideally zero thoughts when I meditate (ideally being the key word here, I'm not a meditation master).

That being said, what of daily life? I drive for a living, should I also be trying to have zero thoughts and focus 100% on the road? What about when grocery shopping, cooking dinner and so on: silence and focus at all of these times as well?

The other alternative that I know of is noting as in Insight Meditation. Of course this would be noting whatever you are doing. I believe Venerable Nyanaponika Thera said that one could take whatever one was engaged in as one's meditation object. So in the case of cooking, for example, one would note "stirring, stirring" "grasping..." "chopping..." etc.

Are both correct?

What do the suttas say specifically? What is a person supposed to do with their mind during the course of normal daily activities?
The idea that one should have no thoughts is impossible. In fact, you need thought to enter jhana, just like you need thought to figure out what to do in life circumstances. The problem of thought is the quality of thought. If you are immersed in thinking that puts you in a reactive mood, you need to change that. Otherwise, thoughtless jhana is always a temporary state. Your concentration is responsible for keeping thoughts quiet, but as soon as you get off that cushion, thoughts will return. By relaxing the body, your attention automatically focuses on what is at hand, whether driving, or doing something else. Many people call this being present. It is not a thoughtless state.