A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
chownah

Re: Why so few Western Buddhists?

Post by chownah » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:59 pm

binocular wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:02 am
chownah wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:24 am
You say "because harmony is valued above everything else" when speaking of eastern culture....I dispute that statement.
If harmony was valued above everything else then there would be no wars in eastern culture.
If harmony was valued above everything else then there would be no quarrels in eastern culture.
If harmony was valued above all else there would be no murders in eastern culture.
If harmoney was valued above all else then people would not amass gold in eastern culture.
If harmoney was valued above all else then it would not need to be enforced in eastern culture.
It's in order to establish harmony that people are executed, wars fought etc. It's because harmony is so important to them that they will kill for it.
Surely you jest. Most wars have been fought over power and wealth....in fact wars are almost exclusivly fought over power and wealth......"give me this piece of land as my control of it is necessary for harmony"..... :jawdrop: :jumping: :rofl:
chownah

Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:27 pm

Here's is a piece of land that looks quite harmonious ... :tongue:

If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters

binocular

Post by binocular » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:28 pm

chownah wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:59 pm
Surely you jest. Most wars have been fought over power and wealth....in fact wars are almost exclusivly fought over power and wealth......"give me this piece of land as my control of it is necessary for harmony".....
Tomayto, tomahto.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

chownah

Post by chownah » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:08 am

binocular wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:28 pm
chownah wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:59 pm
Surely you jest. Most wars have been fought over power and wealth....in fact wars are almost exclusivly fought over power and wealth......"give me this piece of land as my control of it is necessary for harmony".....
Tomayto, tomahto.
Are you saying that "harmony" and "power and wealth" are the same thing?...or is this some obscure pali reference?.....or something else...
chownah

binocular

Post by binocular » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:47 pm

Some say wars are fought for power, some say they are fought for harmony. Now what?

binocular

Post by binocular » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:16 pm

A matter of interpretation.
For example, if you're feeling particularly generous, you can conceive of the Nazi'ss reason for going to war as simply a matter of economic and territorial gain.

manas

Post by manas » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:38 am

DNS wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:14 pm
I agree with this. In our current time, there is a huge increase in secularization. People might identify as "Christian" or "Jewish" or "Buddhist" but in reality are non-religious, don't attend church/temple services and are basically agnostic and identify with a religion label merely because they were born into it. In the near future "non-religious" might be the number 2 ideology among the list of top 5 world religions.
I think much of our culture is nihilistic / annihilationist also.

:anjali:
Knowing this body is like a clay jar,
securing this mind like a fort,
attack Mara with the spear of discernment,
then guard what's won without settling there,
without laying claim.

- Dhp 40

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:08 pm

binocular wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:47 pm
Some say wars are fought for power, some say they are fought for harmony. Now what?
Talk is cheap...if you listen long enough some say just about everything that can be said....doesn't make it right or truthful though. Can you bring a reference where someone discussing fighting a war for harmony?
chownah

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:50 pm

Greetings,
manas wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:38 am
DNS wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:14 pm
I agree with this. In our current time, there is a huge increase in secularization. People might identify as "Christian" or "Jewish" or "Buddhist" but in reality are non-religious, don't attend church/temple services and are basically agnostic and identify with a religion label merely because they were born into it. In the near future "non-religious" might be the number 2 ideology among the list of top 5 world religions.
I think much of our culture is nihilistic / annihilationist also.

:anjali:
I think those two things are closely intertwined...

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)