Re: Momentary blanking out of consciousness

Post by m0rl0ck » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:14 am

aflatun wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:00 am
m0rl0ck wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:58 pm
aflatun wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:42 pm

If you don't mind sharing, what Chan method do you practice?
After doing a huatou (who is this?) for a while my last instructions were to "abide with mind"
Awesome, I love huatou, but I don't have a teacher, so I can't say I really practice it (but I do in a way :embarassed: 8-) )
From what i have read the "who is this" method crosses a lot of traditions. "Who is this" is traditionally short for "Who is this reciting the buddhas name?"
The complete instructions i was given fyi, which i wouldnt necessarily recommend following, they might have been personal to me since i had known this teacher for a while, were as follows:

Look, as in look inside, turning the light around, as they say in chan and ask "who is this?" Continue looking and asking until the question is no longer necessary and there is just the looking and the sense of inquiring, "who is this?"
Look with the sense that you are seeing an old friend that you bumped into, that you cant quite place or recognize. I was also told to not concentrate too hard and again i think these instructions might have been somewhat personally tailored to me, i sometimes veer toward being a little too intense.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:28 am

It happened to me once and I thought I am going to faint.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:06 am

Probably a momentary entry into the state of non-perception (bhavanga).
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha

m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:07 am

I emailed my teacher that gave me the "abide with mind" practice. His take on it was that it could have been a number of things and that "whether it was important or unimportant, is secondary to your sincere continuation of the practice you're currently doing."

I gotta say i just love this guy :)
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

Garrib

Post by Garrib » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:12 am

m0rl0ck wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:07 am
I emailed my teacher that gave me the "abide with mind" practice. His take on it was that it could have been a number of things and that "whether it was important or unimportant, is secondary to your sincere continuation of the practice you're currently doing."

Greetings m0rl0ck,

Who is your teacher (if you don't mind my asking)?

W Metta,

Brad

m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:17 am

Garrib wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:12 am
m0rl0ck wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:07 am

Greetings m0rl0ck,

Who is your teacher (if you don't mind my asking)?

W Metta,

Brad
Ying Fa cloudwater.org

catsquotl

Post by catsquotl » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:21 am

m0rl0ck wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:43 pm
I experienced a moment of blanking out of consciousness and seem to remember reading about this as a side effect of insight meditation (which i do not practice, i do a chan method).
It was disconcerting, like being completly gone for a split second while wide awake and then blinking back into existence. I wasnt doing anythign special at the time, watching a youtube video.
Does anyone know what this phenomena is called in the context of the path of insight meditation?
My first Vipassana retreat ended with 3 days of determination. On the last day I was to count the times I momentarily blanked out of consciousness.
We had to set an intention for the day, I'm sorry, but can't recall it exactly. As I am at work I can't look it up

It was however definitely an expected and integrated outcome of the retreat.
I believe they called it a touch of nibanna.

With Love
Eelco
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please share your light in abundance

Dhammavaro

Post by Dhammavaro » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:29 am

catsquotl wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:21 am
m0rl0ck wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:43 pm
I experienced a moment of blanking out of consciousness and seem to remember reading about this as a side effect of insight meditation (which i do not practice, i do a chan method).
It was disconcerting, like being completly gone for a split second while wide awake and then blinking back into existence. I wasnt doing anythign special at the time, watching a youtube video.
Does anyone know what this phenomena is called in the context of the path of insight meditation?
My first Vipassana retreat ended with 3 days of determination. On the last day I was to count the times I momentarily blanked out of consciousness.
We had to set an intention for the day, I'm sorry, but can't recall it exactly. As I am at work I can't look it up

With Love
Eelco
I have done a similar retreat in Thailand.
I would not call it a touch of Nibbana.
It was a lack of sleep. The days before the determination, we had between 18 and 19 hours of meditation.
They try to break you. After the second day in determination, I began to see / hear ghosts....
^^The Greatest Gift to Buddha, our Parents, our teacher..is to open the eye of dhamma^^

Garrib

Post by Garrib » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:47 am

Ying Fa cloudwater.org
:anjali:

robertk

Post by robertk » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:19 am

catsquotl wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:21 am
[quote in the context of the path of

With Love
Eelco
I think I would call it something less complimentary.

catsquotl

Post by catsquotl » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:45 am

Dhammavaro wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:29 am

I have done a similar retreat in Thailand.
I would not call it a touch of Nibbana.
It was a lack of sleep. The days before the determination, we had between 18 and 19 hours of meditation.
They try to break you. After the second day in determination, I began to see / hear ghosts....
In my experience they didn't try to break me,
I didn't envision ghosts and had momentary lapses of consciousness missing. Just stating what they said.
I will say that i don't see it as stream entry. It did however form an idea in me of what it means to experience emptiness.

Working night-shifts regularly I can say it felt very different than normal exhaustion and lack of sleep.
I was amazed at the clarity of my state of mind leading up to and during the days of determination.

I'm guessing you had a different experience during those days?
Planning a second retreat coming April so will see if the experience is similar then.

With Love
Eelco

catsquotl

Post by catsquotl » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:49 am

robertk wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:19 am

I think I would call it something less complementary.
Then you should. I'm merely parroting what my retreat teacher called it.

With Love
Eelco

robertk

Post by robertk » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:18 am

catsquotl wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:49 am
robertk wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:19 am

I think I would call it something less complimentary.
Then you should. I'm merely parroting what my retreat teacher called it.

With Love
Eelco
Thanks for the encouragement. In that case I would say it is a case of either momentary sleep, or very strong level of moha.

catsquotl

Post by catsquotl » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:21 am

robertk wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:18 am

Thanks for the encouragement. In that case I would say it is a case of either momentary sleep, or very strong level of moha.
May I ask what moha stands for?

robertk

Post by robertk » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:38 am

Hi, moha is usually translated as 'ignorance' . It is a very common reality arising countless times a day.
The reason I suggested this as a possibility is that all insight moments have a clear object: never some sort of momentary "blank out".

Even the moments of satipatthana preceding vipassana nanas have a clear object.

When putting in much effort to concentrate for long periods on various objects many experiences that seem different from daily life may occur - and unfortunately these may be taken by the eager practitioner ( and his guide)as indications of progress.