False Memories and Questionable Buddhist Lore

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
l_rivers

False Memories and Questionable Buddhist Lore

Post by l_rivers »

I have two memories of teachings by the Buddha and their import that I wish to confirm as I can't track them down and at 67 I may be misremembering badly. I would be very grateful for references to the accurate sources for my sloppy memory.

First is a teaching where he "says" "There have been Religions and Philosophies for thousands of years, yet human character and the consequences of human conduct remain unchanged. Therefore I say we must apply ourselves to our own salvation."

and

Second the teaching where he "says" "Examine the dhamma as it accords with your reason and what you have been taught"
This quote is likely misunderstood. I read an essay some years ago in which it is explained the Buddha ISN'T advocating free thought once you have joined the Sangha, he is saying, until they are ready, let them progress as best they can. Lost essay. It was convincing. :rolleye:
retrofuturist

Re: False Memories and Questionable Buddhist Lore

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Regarding the first instance, it could be one of the two suttas mentioned in this post.

The second sounds like the Kalama Sutta, but do let us know if you were thinking of something else.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
l_rivers

Re: False Memories and Questionable Buddhist Lore

Post by l_rivers »

Thanks everybody for the assist. I have come to realize the first false memory may be a one sentence lauding of the Buddha's approach by Bertrand Russel... It is good to check in with good spiritual friends before opening one's mouth. :namaste: