Samvega: Arising naturally, or developed by training

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
phil

Samvega: Arising naturally, or developed by training

Post by phil » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:17 am

This morning I was piling scrambled eggs on to toast and there was a sudden reflection on the constant piling up of food, day by day, year by year. It reminded me of one of the eight factors(?) for samvega being something to do with the endless search for food to keep living.

Do you all see samvega as something that arises when it arises, and can be appreciated with understanding at that moment, or do you intentionally work to develop it? My feeling is that the latter would be like spinning wheels in sand, you can't really have it when it isn't there. But happy to hear otherwise.

I suppose that if one does the five daily recollections in a habitual way it would be a way of intentionally developing samvega. Perhaps posting this will encourage me to do more of that. Now there are often recollections on the truths of aging, illness, death, separation and ownership of kamma, but not in an intentional way.

Thanks.
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

phil

Re: Samvega: Arising naturally, or developed by training

Post by phil » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:39 pm

Well, Phil, let me tell you how Phil feels about it. :tongue:

I think it comes down to prompted vs. unprompted cittas, the moments of samvega that arise naturally would be more powerful than the ones that are "generated" intentionally. Certainly value in the latter but just as likely to be a lot of wanting to have certain mind states, i.e rooted in greed for mental pleasure. In my opinion that is something those of us who fit meditation into our busy householder lives have to be aware of. (Still not a reason to stop meditating, but honesty about the underlying motives is wise.)
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)