Buddhahood

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
CedarTree

Buddhahood

Post by CedarTree » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:44 pm

Strange question.

As I have been practicing more and in a somewhat intensive style I am more curious about "Buddhahood". Not in some grandeur way but as an understanding in some sense in it's relation to practice.

It has been answered to death the difference between a Buddha and an Arahant in the Theravada perspective but I would be curious to know if any Abhidhamma literature, other suttas, etc. really delve into how Buddhahood is achieved and if the differences are really delved into.

Thank you. :)

Practice, Practice, Practice

paul

Re: Buddhahood

Post by paul » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:41 pm

The threefold higher powers attained by the Buddha on enlightenment frequently appear in the suttas, for example in MN 19. They are: remembrance of former existences; seeing how beings are reborn according to their deeds; and the extinction of all cankers. Only the last is a necessary condition for attainment of arahantship:

"When the mind was thus concentrated, purified, bright, unblemished, rid of defilement, pliant, malleable, steady, & attained to imperturbability, I directed it to the knowledge of the ending of the mental fermentations. I discerned, as it had come to be, that 'This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress... This is the way leading to the cessation of stress... These are fermentations... This is the origination of fermentations... This is the cessation of fermentations... This is the way leading to the cessation of fermentations.' My heart, thus knowing, thus seeing, was released from the fermentation of sensuality, released from the fermentation of becoming, released from the fermentation of ignorance. With release, there was the knowledge, 'Released.' I discerned that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'

"This was the third knowledge I attained in the third watch of the night. Ignorance was destroyed; knowledge arose; darkness was destroyed; light arose — as happens in one who is heedful, ardent, & resolute."

Unexist

Re: Buddhahood

Post by Unexist » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:29 am

The followers of Buddhism is fallen into the traps of barren metaphisics, mysticism, code calculation. They have compltely forgotten what Buddha used in teaching. They are fallen into the traps of what is Buddha hood and arhat. Some selfish monks have created, four Noble truth which the vedas dictates.

Abhidhamma pitaka is that work of monks, who mystify certain things or seems to have fallen to logic.

Buddha only said, rightousness is called Nibbana. It's not what one would get after death but while living.

He said the living in rightousness is living in Nibbana, as he pointed out to Radha, his female disciples.
The lead role of the monks he created nighter for secultion in solitude, nor for perfected individual, nor for selfish abstraction towards world which is misery. But he teaches them to revolt against wrong belief, social descrimination against caste, gender and set an example while living as their own virtue. He said one who don't live welfare for all is term them as fallen. While he equally believe in discrimination between good and bad, for which,panna(wisdom) is needed.
While giving Dana, not everyone is worthy, people first use their wisdom to know it is a real begger or not. How he do that? By the power of wisdom. Inability to know right and wrong is the ignorance root of misery into the world. That's why he created monks to act on it to won wisdom and apply to the society at large.