What is worth spending time on?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
nichiren-123

What is worth spending time on?

Post by nichiren-123 »

So I'm currently not working or studying due to mental illness which is now subsiding and that means I have allot of time on my hands.
So I've been wasting my time just watching TV, listening to music, anything to fill my day. But this feels like such a waste of time in the grand scheme of things.
So I'm wondering, from a buddhist perspective, what is worth spending time on? What will leave me fulfilled each day and give me meaning?

Thanks,
N-123
Caodemarte

Re: What is worth spending time on?

Post by Caodemarte »

nichiren-123 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:57 pm So I'm currently not working or studying due to mental illness which is now subsiding and that means I have allot of time on my hands.
So I've been wasting my time just watching TV, listening to music, anything to fill my day. But this feels like such a waste of time in the grand scheme of things.
So I'm wondering, from a buddhist perspective, what is worth spending time on? What will leave me fulfilled each day and give me meaning?

Thanks,
N-123
Walk around
Exercise
Read books
Part-time volunteer charity work
Study
These will all help.
Meditation or type of meditation may be dependent on your health so I would suggest medical advice.
befriend

Post by befriend »

Have fun with healthy people, help your parents out, sports, find a sangha if not a Buddhist sangha find a religious group that suits your personality try to have a goal like finishing a book or work using your hands the idle mind is maras playground
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
befriend

Post by befriend »

I always feel better when I have positive mind body and speech activity only this will make you feel satisfied in a Buddhist way. There are many suttas where the point of the teaching is to maintain healthy mental verbal and physical actions.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
chownah

Post by chownah »

Grow a garden.
chownah
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

nichiren-123 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:57 pm

Thanks,
N-123
keep your mind from wandering back and forth (or dont identify with that dependent mechanism) creating the illusion that you and time are one, and give up all habits other than the one first mentioned ... :smile:

Dont look for fillings, let it all be and relax into the present - because it is your personal present, and the only way to open that kind of presents, are to open up for them, and there you are all the way

So, you can
have your cake and eat it too
:anjali:

Be well!
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Meditation practice. :meditate:
chownah

Post by chownah »

Grow a bigger organic garden.
chownah
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

"A day without work is a day without food"

Baizhang Huaihai
8th century Zen master

It doesn't necessarily have to be paid-work, but it can be cooking, cleaning, chores around the house, gardening, etc and it fills times and leaves you feeling fulfilled.

Check with your health care professional, you might be able to have paid-work too, since there are many people with some forms of mental illness, taking their medications and still working regular jobs and careers.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

All of the above advice is great, but it might be worth pointing out that anything is worth spending time on, providing we spend it without greed, hatred, and delusion. Sometimes we just need to watch TV and laze around for a time, particularly if we have been unwell.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

nichiren-123 wrote:So I'm wondering, from a buddhist perspective, what is worth spending time on? What will leave me fulfilled each day and give me meaning?
Exercise, read suttas, meditate, and spend more time outdoor. Nature and fresh air do wonder to the human body and spirit. They're the cheapest and most effective medicine in healing all kinds of illness.
ryanM

Post by ryanM »

DNS wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:03 pm It doesn't necessarily have to be paid-work, but it can be cooking, cleaning, chores around the house, gardening, etc and it fills times and leaves you feeling fulfilled.
I like David's comment :smile:
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"
rolling_boulder

Post by rolling_boulder »

nichiren-123 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:57 pm So I'm wondering, from a buddhist perspective, what is worth spending time on?
After years of considering this, I've come to the conclusion that the only thing worthwhile, in an ultimate sense, is practicing the Dhamma with a view to Nibbana.
The world is swept away. It does not endure...
The world is without shelter, without protector...
The world is without ownership. One has to pass on, leaving everything behind...
The world is insufficient, insatiable, a slave to craving.
L.N.

Post by L.N. »

Be kind to yourself.
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

愿众佛坐在我的头顶, 佛法在我的眼中, 僧伽,功德的根源, 端坐在我的肩上。
WindDancer

Post by WindDancer »

nichiren-123 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:57 pm So I'm currently not working or studying due to mental illness which is now subsiding and that means I have allot of time on my hands.

Thanks,
N-123
Thanks for the question. I used to live a very active life in work, in my spiritual practice and in engaging in vigorous outdoor activities. Over the years I have had to adapt to new ways of living as a chronic illness changed different areas of my life. Here are some of the things that help me to live a reasonably happy, content and useful life:

1. First, I do my very best to maintain my spiritual and personal wellness. I have learned that it is vital to take care of the basics of self care: spiritually, physically, mentally and emotionally. This includes eating in a healthy way, getting good quality sleep, maintaining the best level of fitness that I can and maintaining healthy relationships.

2. I was taught that it is important to take care of the basic chores of life so we can feel good about being as self-sufficient and independent as we can. Then find one or more things you feel inspired to do. What lifts your spirit? What would be something that would motivate you to get out of bed or off the couch without thinking too much about how you feel?

Two things came to mind when I asked myself these questions. First, I love animals, and I feel inspired to care for and rehabilitate lost, neglected and abused animals. Over my lifetime, I have rescued numerous cats and dogs and even three wild horses. Daily, I show up in love and service to the animals I have now, and I look for opportunities to allow these loving beings to touch and enrich the lives of others as I go out in my community.

3. I have been taught that we find meaning, purpose and direction in our lives when we show up in love and service to others. Living in this manner fills my heart with a well spring of love and spiritual well being as I do what I can to make a difference in the lives of others. Personally, I have felt led to show up in love and service in AA and Al-Anon, helping reduce the suffering of others, helping them find liberation and happiness and helping them find a spiritual path that leads them to a life better than most of them have ever known.

4. I do many things which lift my spirit or bring healing to different areas of my life. Being in the beauty of Nature helps me more than most anything else. I feel a deep spiritual connection. I am an artist, and I love the beauty. I am a naturalist and have worked as a Park Ranger. I love gazing at the stars, watching meteor showers, taking long gentle walks with my two Great Pyrenees and Doberman. I listen to spiritually uplifting talks from different disciplines. Most of the time I listen to Dharma talks. Most recently I have been listening to talks by Thai Forest Monks like Ajhan Amaro and recordings of various monks doing readings of talks originally given by Ajhan Cha.

5. Owning a furry friend has been one of the best blessings. They are safe trustworthy friends, constant companions and offer lots of love and comfort. They also help me get out of myself. It is easy to get self-absorbed when alone or when living with chronic illness. It is a great help to stop thinking so much about ourselves and instead show up in love and service to others. The love and care I give out to them is reflected back to me.

5. I have spent many years practicing Zen Buddhism, especially in daily life practice. It helps to engage in doing physically productive activities, ever mindful, coming fully into the present moment, in the zone of being the activity instead of me doing the activity. Working on my potter's wheel throwing a vase or some kind of vessel is a wonderful activity. It is a living meditation experience, fun, creative, expressive of my spiritual practice, and when I am done I see tangible results from my efforts. Doing light maintenance on my home or caring for my property works well for me too.

7. I do formal meditation every day, and I practice meditation in all my activities. I read Dharma books, and I enjoy talking with others on a similar path.

8. When I was unable to get out as much, I started showing up in love and service in a few online support groups of people in recovery or those who had chronic illnesses similar to the ones I have.

Good luck. I wish you well in finding the mix that is right for you.

:namaste:

WindDancer
Live Gently....