relationship between a healthy body and enlightenment

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
form

relationship between a healthy body and enlightenment

Post by form » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:34 pm

The healthier, the younger the body the easier it is to progress. Is that correct?

Bundokji

Re: relationship between a healthy body and enlightenment

Post by Bundokji » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:54 pm

In theory, this seems to be correct. Its always better to practice when we are young and healthy before the shit hits the fan.
“It happened that a fire broke out backstage in a theater. The clown came out to inform the public. They thought it was a jest and applauded. He repeated his warning. They shouted even louder. So I think the world will come to an end amid the general applause from all the wits who believe that it is a joke.”
Søren Kierkegaard

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:04 pm

form wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:34 pm
The healthier, the younger the body the easier it is to progress. Is that correct?
I'm not sure. One would certainly have more strength to practice, but maybe that is offset by a greater difficulty in renouncing things, and a greater strength of defilements. The Buddha says
"Monks, there are these three forms of intoxication. Which three? Intoxication with youth, intoxication with health, intoxication with life.

"Drunk with the intoxication of youth, an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person engages in bodily misconduct, verbal misconduct, & mental misconduct. Having engaged in bodily misconduct, verbal misconduct, & mental misconduct, he — on the break-up of the body, after death — reappears in the plane of deprivation, the bad destination, the lower realms, in hell.

"Drunk with the intoxication of health, an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person engages in bodily misconduct, verbal misconduct, & mental misconduct. Having engaged in bodily misconduct, verbal misconduct, & mental misconduct, he — on the break-up of the body, after death — reappears in the plane of deprivation, the bad destination, the lower realms, in hell.

"Drunk with the intoxication of life, an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person engages in bodily misconduct, verbal misconduct, & mental misconduct. Having engaged in bodily misconduct, verbal misconduct, & mental misconduct, he — on the break-up of the body, after death — reappears in the plane of deprivation, the bad destination, the lower realms, in hell.

"Drunk with the intoxication of youth, a monk leaves the training and returns to the lower life. Drunk with the intoxication of health, a monk leaves the training and returns to the lower life. Drunk with the intoxication of life, a monk leaves the training and returns to the lower life."
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

On the other hand, exceptional individuals like Ratthapala gained insight without experiencing "loss through illness and loss through ageing".

So I don't think it is as clear cut as all that.

polarbear101

Post by polarbear101 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:23 pm

A healthy body is certainly useful:
"These are the five factors for exertion. Which five?

"There is the case where a monk has conviction, is convinced of the Tathagata's Awakening: 'Indeed, the Blessed One is pure & rightly self-awakened, consummate in knowledge & conduct, well-gone, an expert with regard to the world, unexcelled as a trainer for those people fit to be tamed, the Teacher of divine & human beings, awakened, blessed.'

"He is free from illness & discomfort, endowed with good digestion — not too cold, not too hot, of moderate strength — fit for exertion.

"He is neither fraudulent nor deceitful. He declares himself to the Teacher or to his wise friends in the holy life in line with what he actually is.

"He keeps his energy aroused for abandoning unskillful mental qualities and taking on skillful mental qualities. He is steadfast, solid in his effort, not shirking his duties with regard to skillful mental qualities.

"He is discerning, endowed with discernment leading to the arising of the goal — noble, penetrating, leading to the right ending of stress.

"These are the five factors for exertion."

"Monks, these five future dangers are just enough, when considered, for a monk — heedful, ardent, and resolute — to live for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized. Which five?

"There is the case where a monk reminds himself of this: At present I am young, black-haired, endowed with the blessings of youth in the first stage of life. The time will come, though, when this body is beset by old age. When one is overcome with old age and decay, it is not easy to pay attention to the Buddha's teachings. It is not easy to reside in isolated forest or wilderness dwellings. Before this unwelcome, disagreeable, displeasing thing happens, let me first make an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized, so that — endowed with that Dhamma — I will live in peace even when old.

"This is the first future danger that is just enough, when considered, for a monk — heedful, ardent, and resolute — to live for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized.

"Furthermore, the monk reminds himself of this: At present I am free from illness and discomfort, endowed with good digestion: not too cold, not too hot, of medium strength and tolerance. The time will come, though, when this body is beset with illness. When one is overcome with illness, it is not easy to pay attention to the Buddha's teachings. It is not easy to reside in isolated forest or wilderness dwellings. Before this unwelcome, disagreeable, displeasing thing happens, let me first make an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized, so that — endowed with that Dhamma — I will live in peace even when ill...

But it would be grasping the teaching improperly to then give up hope if one is old or sick, like grabbing a snake by the tail.
Then Ven. Malunkyaputta, who was ardent & resolute, went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat to one side. As he was sitting there, he said to the Blessed One: "It would be good, lord, if the Blessed One would teach me the Dhamma in brief so that, having heard the Dhamma from the Blessed One, I might dwell alone in seclusion: heedful, ardent, & resolute."

"Here now, Malunkyaputta: What will I say to the young monks when you — aged, old, elderly, along in years, come to the last stage of life — ask for an admonition in brief?"

"Lord, even though I'm aged, old, elderly, along in years, come to the last stage of life, may the Blessed One teach me the Dhamma in brief! May the One Well-gone teach me the Dhamma in brief! It may well be that I'll understand the Blessed One's words. It may well be that I'll become an heir to the Blessed One's words."

Then Ven. Malunkyaputta, having been admonished by the admonishment from the Blessed One, got up from his seat and bowed down to the Blessed One, circled around him, keeping the Blessed One to his right side, and left. Then, dwelling alone, secluded, heedful, ardent, & resolute, he in no long time reached & remained in the supreme goal of the holy life for which clansmen rightly go forth from home into homelessness, knowing & realizing it for himself in the here & now. He knew: "Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for the sake of this world." And thus Ven. Malunkyaputta became another one of the arahants.

“I am old, venerable sir, aged, burdened with years, advanced in life, come to the last stage, afflicted in body, often ill. I rarely get to see the Blessed One and the bhikkhus worthy of esteem. Let the Blessed One exhort me, venerable sir, let him instruct me, since that would lead to my welfare and happiness for a long time.”

“So it is, householder, so it is! This body of yours is afflicted, weighed down, encumbered. If anyone carrying around this body were to claim to be healthy even for a moment, what is that due to other than foolishness? Therefore, householder, you should train yourself thus: ‘Even though I am afflicted in body, my mind will be unafflicted.’ Thus should you train yourself.”

“And how, householder, is one afflicted in body but not afflicted in mind? Here, householder, the instructed noble disciple, who is a seer of the noble ones and is skilled and disciplined in their Dhamma, who is a seer of superior persons and is skilled and disciplined in their Dhamma, does not regard form as self, or self as possessing form, or form as in self, or self as in form. He does not live obsessed by the notions: ‘I am form, form is mine.’ As he lives unobsessed by these notions, that form of his changes and alters. With the change and alteration of form, there do not arise in him sorrow, lamentation, pain, displeasure, and despair.

“He does not regard feeling as self, or self as possessing feeling, or feeling as in self, or self as in feeling. He does not live obsessed by the notions: ‘I am feeling, feeling is mine.’ As he lives unobsessed by these notions, that feeling of his changes and alters. With the change and alteration of feeling, there do not arise in him sorrow, lamentation, pain, displeasure, and despair.

“He does not regard perception as self, or self as possessing perception, or perception as in self, or self as in perception. He does not live obsessed by the notions: ‘I am perception, perception is mine.’ As he lives unobsessed by these notions, that perception of his changes and alters. With the change and alteration of perception, there do not arise in him sorrow, lamentation, pain, displeasure, and despair.

“He does not regard volitional formations as self, or self as possessing volitional formations, or volitional formations as in self, or self as in volitional formations. He does not live obsessed by the notions: ‘I am volitional formations, volitional formations are mine.’ As he lives unobsessed by these notions, those volitional formations of his change and alter. With the change and alteration of volitional formations, there do not arise in him sorrow, lamentation, pain, displeasure, and despair.

“He does not regard consciousness as self, or self as possessing consciousness, or consciousness as in self, or self as in consciousness. He does not live obsessed by the notions: ‘I am consciousness, consciousness is mine.’ As he lives unobsessed by these notions, that consciousness of his changes and alters. With the change and alteration of consciousness, there do not arise in him sorrow, lamentation, pain, displeasure, and despair.

“It is in such a way, householder, that one is afflicted in body but not afflicted in mind.”

This is what the Venerable Sāriputta said. Elated, the householder Nakulapita delighted in the Venerable Sāriputta’s statement.

https://suttacentral.net/en/sn22.1
"Then there is the case where a monk comes down with a slight illness. The thought occurs to him: 'I have come down with a slight illness. Now, there's the possibility that it could get worse. Why don't I make an effort beforehand for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized?' So he makes an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized. This is the seventh grounds for the arousal of energy.

"Then there is the case where a monk has recovered from his illness, not long after his recovery. The thought occurs to him: 'I have recovered from my illness. It's not long after my recovery. Now, there's the possibility that the illness could come back. Why don't I make an effort beforehand for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized?' So he makes an effort for the attaining of the as-yet-unattained, the reaching of the as-yet-unreached, the realization of the as-yet-unrealized. This is the eighth grounds for the arousal of energy.

"These are the eight grounds for the arousal of energy."

Also, see this sutta:

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

paul

Post by paul » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:10 pm

Energy is the third factor of enlightenment and one of the five elements of effort is health (faith, health, sincerity, energy and wisdom). So health is a fundamental factor underlying successful practice:

"There is the case where a monk has conviction, is convinced of the Tathagata's Awakening: 'Indeed, the Blessed One is worthy and rightly self-awakened, consummate in knowledge & conduct, well-gone, an expert with regard to the world, unexcelled as a trainer for those people fit to be tamed, the Teacher of divine & human beings, awakened, blessed.'

"He is free from illness & discomfort, endowed with good digestion — not too cold, not too hot, of moderate strength — fit for exertion.
"He is neither fraudulent nor deceitful. He declares himself to the Teacher or to his wise friends in the holy life in line with what he actually is.
"He keeps his persistence aroused for abandoning unskillful mental qualities and taking on skillful mental qualities. He is steadfast, solid in his effort, not shirking his duties with regard to skillful mental qualities.
"He is discerning, endowed with discernment leading to the arising of the goal — noble, penetrating, leading to the right ending of stress.
"These are the five factors for exertion.—-MN 90, AN 5:53.

From experience, having practised both reasonably young and old, insight is developed and stronger with age, whereas further concentration practice is not possible when old due to physical restraints.
Last edited by paul on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:18 pm

Greetings,

A healthy body is certainly not to be taken for granted on the Dhamma path. Once you've read Nanavira Thera's letters you'll know all about it...

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:44 pm

I don't think being young is necessary and I'm not just saying that because I'm old. :mrgreen: Being healthy is good though. I can't imagine what it must be like for some people who endure chronic pain on a daily/hourly basis. It must be hard to have equanimity when in constant pain.

The Buddha prior to awakening was weak from ascetic practices and ate food and then attained enlightenment.

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:51 pm

Healthy body for Buddhism includes normal breathing. Strong hatha yoga practises, for example, can distort natural breathing patterns. I noticed a thread here about deliberate short energetic breathing practises & could only cringe.

Dhammanando
Location: Ban Sri Pradu Cremation Ground, Phrao District, Chiangmai

Post by Dhammanando » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 pm

form wrote:
I think it's an over-generalization. In the Suttas there are no arahants under the age of seven and the commentaries say that seven is in fact the minimal age for any ariyan attainment. They also say that the fifth decade of one's life is the optimal age. After that the task becomes increasingly difficult because of the decline in mental sharpness (nipuṇatā). In the first of the Vuḍḍhapabbajitasuttas, nipuṇatā is given as the first of the five qualities that are seldom found in those who go forth in old age.

As for strong health, this is essential for development of the jhānas, but not for insight development.

form

Post by form » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:30 pm

Dhammanando wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 pm
form wrote:
I think it's an over-generalization. In the Suttas there are no arahants under the age of seven and the commentaries say that seven is in fact the minimal age for any ariyan attainment. They also say that the fifth decade of one's life is the optimal age. After that the task becomes increasingly difficult because of the decline in mental sharpness (nipuṇatā). In the first of the Vuḍḍhapabbajitasuttas, nipuṇatā is given as the first of the five qualities that are seldom found in those who go forth in old age.

As for strong health, this is essential for development of the jhānas, but not for insight development.
I ever come across in AN, where the Buddha listed (among five factors) being young as an advantage to practicing the dharma. I hope I have phrased it correctly as it comes from my memory.
Last edited by form on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:50 am

For sattipatana one only needs to minimally remember that "there is a body". Seems like while health is important it does not seem that vibrant health would be needed to minimally remember that "there is a body".
chownah

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:14 am

Greetings,
chownah wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:50 am
For sattipatana one only needs to minimally remember that "there is a body". Seems like while health is important it does not seem that vibrant health would be needed to minimally remember that "there is a body".
:jumping:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:13 am

I'm glad my post strikes you as funny. I don't get it. Unintended humor is sometimes the best kind.
chownah

polarbear101

Post by polarbear101 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:41 am

Dhammanando wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:05 pm

What is the explanation for that, particularly in relation to the development of jhānas? Also, what text(s) is that notion found in?

I would imagine the reasoning would be along the lines of bodily tranquility (passaddhi) being necessary for samadhi whereas comprehension of feeling is sufficient for liberating insight leading to arahantship; but I'd be interested in a more explicit, sourced answer.

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

form

Post by form » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:19 am

quote=Dhammanando post_id=440887 time=1507849512 user_id=56]

[/quote]

This is an interesting point that may suggest jhana is closely related to body alchemy.

form

Post by form » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:20 am

chownah wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:50 am
chownah
On the other hand, when one is not feeling well, he will be reminded that he has a body. :lol:

Dhammanando
Location: Ban Sri Pradu Cremation Ground, Phrao District, Chiangmai

Post by Dhammanando » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:49 am

polarbear101 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:41 am
What is the explanation for that, particularly in relation to the development of jhānas? Also, what text(s) is that notion found in?
I think it's in several texts, though the only one that I can immediately recall is the Samādhi section of the Visuddhimagga. It states:
Herein, we shall comment below upon the suitable and unsuitable, the preparatory tasks consisting in the severing of impediments, etc., and skill in absorption. When a man cultivates what is unsuitable, his progress is difficult and his direct-knowledge sluggish. When he cultivates what is suitable, his progress is easy and his direct-knowledge swift. But if he cultivates the unsuitable in the earlier stage and the suitable in the later stage, or if he cultivates the suitable in the earlier stage and the unsuitable in the later stage, then it should be understood as mixed in his case. Likewise if he devotes himself to development without carrying out the preparatory tasks of severing impediments, etc., his progress is difficult. It is easy in the opposite case. And if he is not accomplished in skill in absorption, his direct- knowledge is sluggish. It is swift if he is so accomplished.

[...]

But mundane concentration should be developed by one who has taken his stand on virtue that is quite purified in the way already stated. He should sever any of the ten impediments that he may have. He should then approach the good friend, the giver of a meditation subject, and he should apprehend from among the forty meditation subjects one that suits his own temperament.

[...]

Now, the “ten impediments” are:
A dwelling, family, and gain,
A class, and building too as fifth,
And travel, kin, affliction, books,
And supernormal powers: ten.

[...]

Affliction is any kind of illness. It is an impediment when it is actually afflicting; therefore it should be severed by treatment with medicine. But if it is not cured after taking medicine for a few days, then the ascetic’s duties should be done after apostrophizing one’s person in this way: “I am not your slave, or your hireling. I have come to suffering through maintaining you through the beginningless round of rebirths.”
The "mundane concentration" referred to is the development of samatha-bhāvanā with the mundane jhānas as its aim.

binocular

Post by binocular » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:33 am

form wrote:
It seems rather that the healthier and the younger the body is, the less interest the person is likely to have for pursuing the path of renunciation.

With a healthy and young body, various worldy paths seem not only more appealing, but also more feasible.

Adam120

Post by Adam120 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:23 pm

DNS wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:44 pm
I don't think being young is necessary and I'm not just saying that because I'm old. :mrgreen: Being healthy is good though. I can't imagine what it must be like for some people who endure chronic pain on a daily/hourly basis. It must be hard to have equanimity when in constant pain.
I do not know if I have right to participate in this conversation since I am new here, but I want to say some things about this.

I've been born with a disease that makes my body muscles weak and very slow to regenerate which results in almost everyday pain and in me not being able to go somewhere far (>500m or a floor above). When I was younger (well, practically my whole elementary school years and 2 years of secondary school), I had a stage of my life where the only thing I was thinking about was how to stop the pain or sadly even my own life due to the constant pain and people around me making fun of me or even beating me up.
But there is one thing. From this experience, I think people can become very strong minded, very humble etc. Due to exactly these conditions, I always thought about other living beings, their suffering or reasons for their actions like "why does he run so fast and bumps into people... what happened that he abandoned polite behavior to rush somewhere risking a lot)... Then high school came and it was even worse. I always went to my room and asked what to do to stop being miserable, why me...

And somewhere along the way something changed. My living place changed, I decided to switch to a different school too (medical). I met great people and teachers along the way. I met a friend online who helped a great deal. He is a Christian and he had has shown me a great guidance to life and my problems. Not from his beliefs but his mind and his seeing of the world. I changed a lot of my thoughts and started to believe in things very similar to Karmic law and reincarnation (or rebirth, depends).

Nowadays, I feel even gratitude for my situation. Even though I have my problems, am in pain, developed some kind of a social anxiety and am depending on other people for bringing things from a shop. There is a lot I received. And the pain that still troubles me is something that opposed to what others might think, helps me concentrate and think. It became like a focus pointer (if you know the thing where if you want to focus on something, you draw a dot on it and it helps a lot) and a reminder of what life really is and to considere every action of mine so it won't hurt others or so it could even help them. Every good action or reaction of others warms my heart and every pain I see makes me want to help them any little bit I can. My enemy became my friend you could say.

It really has some great advantages that could make the person's life better if handled correctly. I pray for others to find a guidance through those hard times to find their own place and beliefs.

I am sorry it is this long, but stories tend to be long :anjali:

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:49 am

Adam120 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:23 pm
DNS wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:44 pm
I do not know if I have right to participate in this conversation since I am new here, but I want to say some things about this.

I've been born with a disease that makes my body muscles weak and very slow to regenerate which results in almost everyday pain and in me not being able to go somewhere far (>500m or a floor above). When I was younger (well, practically my whole elementary school years and 2 years of secondary school), I had a stage of my life where the only thing I was thinking about was how to stop the pain or sadly even my own life due to the constant pain and people around me making fun of me or even beating me up.
But there is one thing. From this experience, I think people can become very strong minded, very humble etc. Due to exactly these conditions, I always thought about other living beings, their suffering or reasons for their actions like "why does he run so fast and bumps into people... what happened that he abandoned polite behavior to rush somewhere risking a lot)... Then high school came and it was even worse. I always went to my room and asked what to do to stop being miserable, why me...

And somewhere along the way something changed. My living place changed, I decided to switch to a different school too (medical). I met great people and teachers along the way. I met a friend online who helped a great deal. He is a Christian and he had has shown me a great guidance to life and my problems. Not from his beliefs but his mind and his seeing of the world. I changed a lot of my thoughts and started to believe in things very similar to Karmic law and reincarnation (or rebirth, depends).

Nowadays, I feel even gratitude for my situation. Even though I have my problems, am in pain, developed some kind of a social anxiety and am depending on other people for bringing things from a shop. There is a lot I received. And the pain that still troubles me is something that opposed to what others might think, helps me concentrate and think. It became like a focus pointer (if you know the thing where if you want to focus on something, you draw a dot on it and it helps a lot) and a reminder of what life really is and to considere every action of mine so it won't hurt others or so it could even help them. Every good action or reaction of others warms my heart and every pain I see makes me want to help them any little bit I can. My enemy became my friend you could say.

It really has some great advantages that could make the person's life better if handled correctly. I pray for others to find a guidance through those hard times to find their own place and beliefs.

I am sorry it is this long, but stories tend to be long :anjali:
Thanks for sharing your story :anjali:
“It happened that a fire broke out backstage in a theater. The clown came out to inform the public. They thought it was a jest and applauded. He repeated his warning. They shouted even louder. So I think the world will come to an end amid the general applause from all the wits who believe that it is a joke.”
Søren Kierkegaard