Exercise and pain

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Tom

Exercise and pain

Post by Tom »

is it considered an unskillful bodily action to engage in a physical exercise that will be somewhat physically unpleasant?
bodom

Re: Exercise and pain

Post by bodom »

Tom wrote:is it considered an unskillful bodily action to engage in a physical exercise that will be somewhat physically unpleasant?
No pain no gain! :tongue: The only way the body will grow is to force it to go beyond it's normal capabilities. There is a thin line between exertion and overdoing it. Sorenes is natural for anyone training physically. It means your growing. But pain is something different. If you are pushing yourself too the point of injuring yourself then this is no good. It is only through experience that you learn to see the difference between the two and know when to adjust accordingly.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
User156079

Post by User156079 »

do you mean things like squats or uphill sprints?:P
A recent thread about exercise https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=29721
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Tom wrote:is it considered an unskillful bodily action to engage in a physical exercise that will be somewhat physically unpleasant?
Depends on what kind of pain. Listen closely to your body, if it's a kind of sharp piercing pain, then you're definitely doing something wrong. But if it's just the "burn", then that's normal. Your muscles are undergoing micro-tear so that newer and stronger muscles will be rebuilt.
chownah

Post by chownah »

I think you might have gotten the wrong idea about pleasand and unpleasant feelings. It seems to me that the buddha did not say to avoid these things (if it is even possible to do so) but rather to understand how and why they arise.

Avoiding the unpleasant is aversion.
Delighting in the unpleasant is perversion.

chownah
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

santa100 wrote:
Depends on what kind of pain. Listen closely to your body, if it's a kind of sharp piercing pain, then you're definitely doing something wrong. But if it's just the "burn", then that's normal. Your muscles are undergoing micro-tear so that newer and stronger muscles will be rebuilt.
In order to add to this I wish to say that exercising the physical body is part of samma kammantha as health is needed to serve others. Thereby exercises with right intention to be healthy is a skillful act. Samma kammantha and samma ajiva are like the two sides of the coin and say a surgeon is supposed to be healthy all times to go on with his profession.
Of course one has to know ones limits and exercising for competition could be a point of argument.
WindDancer

Post by WindDancer »

Thanks for the question and for the replies.

I have a chronic illness which includes high levels of physical pain and fatigue. Years ago I tried to rest much of the time, thinking I was doing the right thing. I discovered that I just got more and more unhealthy. I learned that my body is going to feel more pain and fatigue than I used to feel or a normal person would feel; however, I am not immune to illness and disease. I need to do all I can to maintain a healthy balance of diet, exercise and rest. In addition, I learned that I need to work to keep healthy mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually. Becoming ill in any one area tends to pull the others down. A few years later I realized that I also needed to maintain healthy relationships and finances. Just one extremely unhealthy relationship can take a real toll on me. Likewise, living in financially unsustainable ways will eventually lead to great stress and inevitable impact on my overall well being.

I am reminded of the Buddha's comments that there are types of suffering which lead to more suffering and types of suffering which lead to the end of suffering. It is uncomfortable for me to work physically hard, but I get great benefit if I do it in a healthy balanced way. I just have to accept that I am going to hurt more and for a longer period of time, and I will need to give myself additional time to recover.

I frequently remind myself of the two darts/arrows. I cannot avoid the first dart/arrow--I am going to feel physical pain no matter what I do. I have a choice of whether I add on the additional suffering of the second dart/arrow. I have an active daily life practice where I do my very best to avoid this type of additional suffering.
Live Gently....