The aggregates "exist" only conventionally

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
lostitude

Re: The aggregates "exist" only conventionally

Post by lostitude »

chownah wrote: Your mention of probabilities is not appropriate.
How so?
You say, "The evidence is overwhelming in favor of an external world. Maybe not fully conclusive, but still overwhelming."

I said, "it really really really seems like there is an external world but I do not have the faculties to be able to determine that conclusively."
Yes, sorry if I was supposed to take these two statements as synonymous and failed to do so. I interpreted yours differently, after reading it again I realise I simply misinterpreted it, sorry about this.
chownah wrote: The latest example: "saying that both hypotheses are equally likely is another and that we can't favor one over the other really looks exaggerated to me". I never said this and did not even imply it. This is totally your fabrication.....I think this is what is called a strawman arguement. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man)
You never said this but you're not saying you agree either. Sorry I've always had trouble with ambiguous positions. But if I should take it as agreement, then everything is settled for me. About the strawman, I'm just a bit sad that you keep ascribing such intentions to my postings, but I'll survive... thanks for your patience...
chownah

Post by chownah »

lostitude wrote: About the strawman, I'm just a bit sad that you keep ascribing such intentions to my postings, but I'll survive... thanks for your patience...
If I say you present a strawman arguement it only says that you are making a mistake in your arguement.....it does not imply any intention. I would guess that most people who engage in a strawman arguement have no intention of doing so except perhaps for politicians who seem to be constantly doing this as their standard operating procedure.
chownah
chownah

Post by chownah »

It really really really seems like something is happening. However I conceive of what is happening is fabrication and subject to error.
chownah
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

chownah wrote:It really really really seems like something is happening. However I conceive of what is happening is fabrication and subject to error.
chownah
What puzzles me on this context is that in this meaning Lord Budda himself has to be a conventional truth as a person. Then there are those in his presence who listned to his valuable sutta. And those who listened to budda as conventional truths ,would not have existed.
We as such have to realise that conventional truth exists as a need for the equilibrium of the earth and cosmological objects but only exists as the need be with the equilibrium of the cosmos and is not eternal .Water clouds seas planets will exist until and unless necessary by the system. This is a temporary need of the universe. We are part of the conventional truth where as that earth and beings are temporarily bound with the conventional truth of paticca samuppada.
Cula Rahulovada and Rahulovada sutta explains this in a better manner though the term conventional truth is not mentioned.