Simile for Samsara.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
ronir583

Simile for Samsara.

Post by ronir583 »

Samsara is like a prison cell that is not yet visible to the prisoner. This is how to be done because if we are not aware about the prison cell, then why do we have to want to get out from it? However, once the prison cell, the steel bars and the room or the prison cell is seen to the prisoner, the next thing to do now is what? how can we get out from it? we do not have the key right? but this is just a simile which if look at closely, the real interpretation is that once the prisoner is aware that he is imprisoned, the next thing to do is not do anything, nor try to escape from it. and so, there are some who become neurotic and paranoid and afraid because they really wanted to get out from that prison cell. But how can they get out from it? There is no way to get out from it because the only way to get out from it is not to do anything from it. Which means, we have to say, ah there you prison cell, I can see you now, but I am not afraid nor shock because I know and has this insight that such prison cell is just a prison cell. In fact this prison cell is only my own creation. But, I have to be mindful because although it is its own creation, to forcefully get out from it would be futile. The more I wanted to get out from it, the more it would become stronger. But we might ask, if in the first place, that I am not aware of the prison cell, then why do I have to find it? This is now what we called Ignorance. It is like the 1st noble truth which says, if I am not suffering now, then why do I have to know it? The realization that says, not to do anything once the prison cell is seen is because it is like a dream. Its nature is like a nature of a dream and once we are awake, the dream just vanished right? But the difficulty here is that the prison cell that I am talking about here is those things that we crave. If it is pleasurable we cling to it, not knowing that it is one of the prison steel bar. And we avoid on what is painful which is aversion, which again made or one of the steel bar. We are having this cemented ignorance that these prison cells are good.