Best sutta to memorize

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
zan

Best sutta to memorize

Post by zan »

What do you think is the best sutta to memorize and why?
Assume all of my words on dhamma could be incorrect. Seek an arahant for truth.

"If we base ourselves on the Pali Nikayas, then we should be compelled to conclude that Buddhism is realistic. There is no explicit denial anywhere of the external world. Nor is there any positive evidence to show that the world is mind-made or simply a projection of subjective thoughts. That Buddhism recognizes the extra-mental existence of matter and the external world is clearly suggested by the texts. Throughout the discourses it is the language of realism that one encounters.
-Y. Karunadasa
zan

Re: Best sutta to memorize

Post by zan »

I have memorized the Magga Vibhanga Sutta (SN 45.8). It is an analysis of the Eightfold Path and so covers a huge amount of what one should know about the Dhamma in a relatively very small amount of words. In addition to this I am writing the sutta in a notebook, side by side with it's Pali language original and then following that with a section that lists every Pali word in the sutta followed by the definition for each.

I feel like with this done I will have a fairly firm and focused, if rudimentary, understanding of the Dhamma.

Before doing this I always felt like I had a very broad understanding and was full of information but it was so spread out that I never felt like I really had an intensely focused knowledge of any one sutta.

I want to memorize the Maha Satipatthana Sutta (which actually contains the Magga Vibhanga Sutta so I'll have that part done!) and have made some progress but also some backsliding. I got all the way to the charnel ground contemplations and was nearly done with that section but then slacked off on my recitation for over a year and now I am back at clear comprehension, but making progress!

"If we base ourselves on the Pali Nikayas, then we should be compelled to conclude that Buddhism is realistic. There is no explicit denial anywhere of the external world. Nor is there any positive evidence to show that the world is mind-made or simply a projection of subjective thoughts. That Buddhism recognizes the extra-mental existence of matter and the external world is clearly suggested by the texts. Throughout the discourses it is the language of realism that one encounters.
-Y. Karunadasa
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Haven't you asked this question before?
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
zan

Post by zan »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Haven't you asked this question before?
Oops, I hope not. Apologies, Venerable, if I did. I will search my previous posts and if there is a duplicate I will request that this one be deleted.

-Y. Karunadasa
zan

Post by zan »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Haven't you asked this question before?
Venerable, I couldn't find one identical to this. I did find a conversation within an unrelated post that mentioned roughly this information though: https://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 96#p418171. It was that post that lead to my idea for this one.

-Y. Karunadasa
User156079

Post by User156079 »

Maha Satipatthana Sutta is probably the most important one imo.
I would like to memorize some 20-30 Suttas and have those as base for teaching, if you want i can tell u which have made the list so far.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

r111
Do you memorize in English or Pali?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
davidbrainerd

Post by davidbrainerd »

Dhammapada....unless you're afraid of a sutta that says you don't get to nirvana by riding elephants but by riding the well tamed self.
User156079

Post by User156079 »

SarathW wrote:r111
In English as i have not started studying Pali yet, i would like to eventually if i get to live so long.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

User156079 wrote:
In English as i have not started studying Pali yet, i would like to eventually if i get to live so long.
:bow:
Very impressive R111!
Which translation do you use?
zan

Post by zan »

Last edited by zan on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

-Y. Karunadasa
User156079

Post by User156079 »

SarathW wrote:
User156079 wrote:
:bow:
Very impressive R111!
Which translation do you use?
Not meant to be impressive as ive not done much work on it, but i think its a good aspiration:)
I plan on getting started learning Pali when living at the monastery, will move in some weeks:)
Ive chosen so far mostly Ven. Thanissaro, Piyadassi Thera, Nyanaponika Thera and Soma Thera's translations.
There are only few places where "i dont approve" of Thanissaro's translations.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Is there a Sutta recitation web link with Pali written in English?
zan

Post by zan »

SarathW wrote:Is there a Sutta recitation web link with Pali written in English?
This may not be exactly what you're looking for but suttacentral has it set up to where you can switch from English to romanized Pali back and forth easily.

-Y. Karunadasa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks I know that.
What I need is to get a printout of a Sutta and listen to someone reciting it so I can recite with the recording.