Alternatives to "moments"

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
zerotime

Re: Alternatives to "moments"

Post by zerotime »

It can be an error keeping the belief that all what the Buddha taught is what we read today in the Suttas.

Nobody can assure what the Buddha taught in all the extent. Specially when we know the Sangha was grouped in different groups, according the teaching and also the sex. However, today nobody knows exactly how that people were taught by the Buddha.

In example, we have the dhamma-yoga monks appearing in the AN 6.46 and without more mention in the whole Canon. Today they are grossly characterized like simple "preachers" or "repeaters" by the scholars. We have also the community of bhikkhunis with a great lack of representation of their teachings and lifes in the Canon.

“Thus, friends, you should train yourselves: ‘Being Dhamma-devotee monks, we will speak in praise of jhana monks.’ That’s how you should train yourselves. Why is that? Because these are amazing people, hard to find in the world, i.e., those who dwell touching the deathless element with the body.

“And thus, friends, you should train yourselves: ‘Being jhana monks, we will speak in praise of Dhamma-devotee monks.’ That’s how you should train yourselves. Why is that? Because these are amazing people, hard to find in the world, i.e., those who penetrate with discernment statements of deep meaning.”

AN 6.46
https://suttacentral.net/en/an6.46
* (the translator use the word "devotee" to translate "dhamma-yoga") :shock:

We cannot know how those teachings could evolve across the times. Although we can know the Buddha wanted these teachings in the world so he taught them, despite a later intention to be silenced by somebody under historical circumstances or who knows.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

I do not wish to quote any post because I feel that this conversation may be off the opening post while It is asking for an alternative to momentariness, hoping that I am not wrong. The direct answer to the alternate to momentariness is the state of nirvana .
Living or existence is passing moments as citta. Citta is arising of cetasikas as vingnana which again is conditioned by paticca samuppada. Existence is passing such conditioned moments which never overlaps .
Uppada Tithi banga is again terms for arising sustenance and dissipation of citta as moments which will cease only after nirvana.
With metta.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

I do not wish to quote any post because I feel that this conversation may be off the opening post while It is asking for an alternative to moments, hoping that I am not wrong. The direct answer to the alternate to momentariness is the state of nirvana .
Living or existence is passing moments as citta. Citta is arising of cetasikas as vingnana which again is conditioned by paticca samuppada. Existence is passing such conditioned moments which never overlaps .
Uppada Tithi banga is again terms for arising sustenance and dissipation of citta as moments which will cease only after nirvana.
With metta.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

binocular wrote: Consider just the concept of "admirable friendship": Can you conceive of admirable friendship, with everything it entails, from the perspective of momentariness?
Surely conceiving of admirable friendship (and so on) from the perspective of khandas or sense bases has the same "issue".? The buddha sometimes spoke in terms of beings, and sometimes in terms of details (or convenience one might label this conceptual/conventional vs irreducible/ultimate). Sometimes he used both in the same paragraph:
“Now this, bhikkhus, is the noble truth of suffering: birth is suffering, aging is suffering, illness is suffering, death is suffering; union with what is displeasing is suffering; separation from what is pleasing is suffering; not to get what one wants is suffering; in brief, the five aggregates subject to clinging are suffering.
https://suttacentral.net/en/sn56.11/4
:anjali:
Mike
zerotime

Post by zerotime »

justindesilva wrote:I do not wish to quote any post because I feel that this conversation may be off the opening post while It is asking for an alternative to moments, hoping that I am not wrong. The direct answer to the alternate to momentariness is the state of nirvana .
Living or existence is passing moments as citta.
you are right, I think