Parents gaining merit for son's ordination - canonical support?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sati1

Parents gaining merit for son's ordination - canonical support?

Postby Sati1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:06 pm

Hello and happy new year to the Dhamma Wheel community,

I was wondering if anybody knows of any canonical texts that support the common belief that when a man ordains his parents will receive merit.

Many thanks, in the Dhamma,

Sati1
Sati1
London, UK

----
"I do not perceive even one other thing, o monks, that when developed and cultivated entails such great happiness as the mind" (AN 1.10, transl. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi)
"So this spiritual life, monks, does not have gain, honor, and renown for its benefit, or the attainment of moral discipline for its benefit, or the attainment of concentration for its benefit, or knowledge and vision for its benefit. But it is this unshakable liberation of mind that is the goal of this spiritual life, its heartwood, and its end," (MN 29, transl. Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi)

pilgrim

Re: Parents gaining merit for son's ordination - canonical support?

Postby pilgrim » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:15 am

As far as I know, there is none. I think this belief arose as an ordinand requires a parents permission to ordain. So in a way, the parent "gives" their child to the sangha.

Sati1

Re: Parents gaining merit for son's ordination - canonical support?

Postby Sati1 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:23 am

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the reply.
Sati1
London, UK

----
"I do not perceive even one other thing, o monks, that when developed and cultivated entails such great happiness as the mind" (AN 1.10, transl. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi)
"So this spiritual life, monks, does not have gain, honor, and renown for its benefit, or the attainment of moral discipline for its benefit, or the attainment of concentration for its benefit, or knowledge and vision for its benefit. But it is this unshakable liberation of mind that is the goal of this spiritual life, its heartwood, and its end," (MN 29, transl. Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi)

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”