Anatta, Sakkaya-ditthi (self view),Mana (pride)?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Anatta, Sakkaya-ditthi (self view),Mana (pride)?

Post by SarathW »

Anatta, Sakkaya-ditthi (self view),Mana (pride)

It appears above three words are used inter-changeably.
Are those the same or different?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkd4vOCE-XU
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
paul

Re: Anatta, Sakkaya-ditthi (self view),Mana (pride)?

Post by paul »

Anatta is an overall term; sakkya-ditthi is personality-belief, a lower fetter tying to the sensual world; mana is conceit, a higher fetter binding to the fine-material and immaterial worlds.--Samyojana, Buddhist Dictionary, Ven. Nyanatiloka.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks Paul
Isn't Mana is relevant to sensual realm as well?
(I am higher, lower or equal)
theY

Post by theY »

Atta is a type of paññatti (unreal), that can not force anything, but puthujana thinking wrong, by Sakkaya-ditthi, as "Atta is real. Atta have their power to force something. Atta can live forever, never die".

Anatta is real. Everything is anatta. Nothing have a real power. Everything can arise because of paccaya (factor).

Sakkaya-ditthi (self view) is cetasika, that thinking wrong "Atta is real. Atta have their power to force something. Atta can live forever, never die". Sakkaya-ditthi must arise together with lobha cetasika (desiring in atta).

Mana (pride/faze) is cetasika, that thinking "Self/Self-relating khandha are difference from another khandha. Although each khandha are difference from the other khandha, but every khandha are the same as "anicca, dukkha, anatta". Self/Self-relating is not the only one, that difference or being "anicca, dukkha, anatta".

Mana maybe not wrong as Sakkaya-ditthi. But it also arising with lobha, too.

http://unmixedtheravada.blogspot.com/20 ... -mana.html
Above message maybe out of date. Latest update will be in massage's link.
--------------------------------------------------
Tipitaka memorization is a rule of monks. It isn't just a choice. They must done it.
bahussuto nāma tividho hoti – nissayamuccanako, parisupaṭṭhāpako, bhikkhunovādakoti.
http://UnmixedTheravada.blogspot.com/20 ... monks.html
paul

Post by paul »

"Isn't Mana is relevant to sensual realm as well?"

After the completion of the first three paths, there is no return to the sensuous sphere, so in the sutta context the five higher fetters including mana, conceit about meditational achievements (including inferiority) refer only to the fine-material and immaterial realms.
Such conceit about the practice exists in the sensual realm but it is insignificant compared with the grosser forms of ego resulting in desire and aversion.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

SarathW wrote:Isn't Mana is relevant to sensual realm as well?
Of course the Ten Fetters apply to all 3 realms. For example, the 9th and 10th fetters of restlessness and ignorance are all pervasive. It's just that the five "higher" ones are more difficult to abandon than the five "lower" ones. In SN 22.89, Ven. Khemaka — a monk who has attained the level of non-returner, and so has cut the first five fetters — indicates how self-identity views may be cut even though the mind has yet to cut the conceit, "I am," which ends only at the level of full awakening:
[Ven. Khemaka:] "Friends, it's not that I say 'I am form,' nor do I say 'I am something other than form.' It's not that I say, 'I am feeling... perception... fabrications... consciousness,' nor do I say, 'I am something other than consciousness.' With regard to these five clinging-aggregates, 'I am' has not been overcome, although I don't assume that 'I am this.'

"It's just like the scent of a blue, red, or white lotus: If someone were to call it the scent of a petal or the scent of the color or the scent of a filament, would he be speaking correctly?"

"No, friend."

"Then how would he describe it if he were describing it correctly?"

"As the scent of the flower: That's how he would describe it if he were describing it correctly."

"In the same way, friends, it's not that I say 'I am form,' nor do I say 'I am other than form.' It's not that I say, 'I am feeling... perception... fabrications... consciousness,' nor do I say, 'I am something other than consciousness.' With regard to these five clinging-aggregates, 'I am' has not been overcome, although I don't assume that 'I am this.'"
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Now I heard from few Sri Lankan monks that the word Anatta does not relate to Sakkaya-ditthi or Mana.
Anatta means the inability to stop the process of impermanence and Stress (Dukkha)

I have lot of respect for the knowledge of the monk in this video.
Unfortunately it is in Sinhala language.
I just post it here to substantiate my source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do2gKV91Bc0
piotr

Post by piotr »

Conceit or pride are not the best translations for māna since in the English they mean only "unduly favorable estimation of one's own abilities or worth; overly positive self-regard." Whereas māna in the Pāli means thinking about oneself as better, equal or worse from others.
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
theY

Post by theY »

piotr wrote:Conceit or pride are not the best translations for māna since in the English they mean only "unduly favorable estimation of one's own abilities or worth; overly positive self-regard." Whereas māna in the Pāli means thinking about oneself as better, equal or worse from others.
Only with lobha (desiring). Buddha and arahanta are still compare themselves with another. But they have not mana.
Tipitaka memorization is a rule of monks. It isn't just a choice. They must done it.
bahussuto nāma tividho hoti – nissayamuccanako, parisupaṭṭhāpako, bhikkhunovādakoti.
piotr

Post by piotr »

theY wrote:Only with lobha (desiring). Buddha and arahanta are still compare themselves with another. But they have not mana.

I guess, they don't have a māna mainly because they got rid of the notion "I am", which is a prerequisite for comparing oneself to others.
Bhagavaṃmūlakā no, bhante, dhammā...
theY

Post by theY »

piotr wrote:
theY wrote:Only with lobha (desiring). Buddha and arahanta are still compare themselves with another. But they have not mana.

I guess, they don't have a māna mainly because they got rid of the notion "I am", which is a prerequisite for comparing oneself to others.
No one can live without comparing, and thinking (except asannasatta, arupabhrahm, and person who getting nirodhasamapatti).

Arahan still compare, and still have notion "I am". Arahan still thinking, until they die, or take nirodhasamapatti.

But his notion don't have lobha, and mana.

Why?

Because they think about tilakkhana more than anagami.

Anagami still think "my happiness in jhana is good. I wanna live with jhana". But arahanta think "my happiness in jhana is anicca, dukkha, anatta".
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Perhaps the meaning of Anatta is best explained in the following Sutta.
Anatta-lakkhana Sutta

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nymo.html
theY

Post by theY »

From this sutta.
SarathW wrote:Perhaps the meaning of Anatta is best explained in the following Sutta.
Anatta-lakkhana Sutta

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nymo.html
Many people stop at:
Now is what is impermanent, what is painful since subject to change, fit to be regarded thus: 'This is mine, this is I, this is my self'"? — "No, venerable sir."
Above quote have many case to consider, so some case maybe wrong.

So I have said:
theY wrote: Anagami still think "my happiness in jhana is good. I wanna live with jhana". But arahanta think "my happiness in jhana is anicca, dukkha, anatta".
Above become in that sutta, too. It is befor from first quote:
"Bhikkhus, how do you conceive it: is form permanent or impermanent?" — "Impermanent, venerable Sir." — "Now is what is impermanent painful or pleasant?" — "Painful, venerable Sir."
Also this quote, too.
"So, bhikkhus any kind of form whatever, whether past, future or presently arisen, whether gross or subtle, whether in oneself or external, whether inferior or superior, whether far or near, must with right understanding how it is, be regarded thus: 'This is not mine, this is not I, this is not myself.'
Abhidhamma very important because of This quote.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Why?
Can you explain it?
theY

Post by theY »

SarathW wrote:
Why?
Can you explain it?
Because:
Minded Sīla = Minded Vinaya = Minded Whole Physical Suffering
Minded Samādhi = Minded Sutta = Minded Whole Mental Suffering
Minded Vipassanā = Minded Abhidhamma = Minded Whole Possible Suffering, And The Other
Some part of http://unmixedtheravada.blogspot.com/20 ... hamma.html
Underline of above quote is this quote:
anattalakkhanasutta wrote:"So, bhikkhus any kind of form whatever, whether past, future or presently arisen, whether gross or subtle, whether in oneself or external, whether inferior or superior, whether far or near, must with right understanding how it is, be regarded thus: 'This is not mine, this is not I, this is not myself.'
Each of everything have it's own ton of individual detail. Abhidhamma sum whole tons to be the way to enlighten nibbana. Buddha enlighten abhidhamma, then buddha brief abhidhamma as sutta to teach individual student. So commentary said "Abhidhamma is bohdhipakkhiyadhamma".

Abhidhamma answer every possible question of vipassana-students.

For the second quote, abhidhamma having a complete detail of it, more than commentary. Students have the answer of question "How what is 'past'? How 'past' is? Why we should include last dead life in 'past'? What is 'gross'? How 'gross' is?, etc".