Questions about Mara

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Tom

Questions about Mara

Post by Tom »

Can Mara kill any putthujana he wishes to? Can Mara do anything he wishes to a putthujana? Or is he limited?
santa100

Re: Questions about Mara

Post by santa100 »

No, he can tempt people but cannot take direct action on them because no one, not even the Buddha, can change the law of kamma. For example, if Mara could kill a virtuous person who abstains from taking life, then that would've violated the law of kamma. However he can tempt the person into commiting unwholesome deeds. If that person is not heedful and gave in to evil, then s/he'll reap the consequences in due time due to their own kamma.
AN 5.57 wrote:I am the owner of my actions,[1] heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my arbitrator. Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I fall heir.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Some interesting reading.
Letter from Mara.

http://www.arrowriver.ca/maraidx.html

Have you face to face with Mara.

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 564&hilit=
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
ToVincent

Post by ToVincent »

Well, I would say that the Evil one (Mara) is just Virtue that takes all liberties.
So you better be (sure to be) a God to allow that to yourself; and that you also come from the right sphere.
Evil is indeed very virtuous. He will not admit the slightest fault; might you pretend to be good and virtuous.

Let us not forget that Mara has reached the highest sphere of the world of senses (kamaloka), because he was a generous and a virtuous man.
For this is how you get to the highest sphere of the kamaloka: being generous and virtuous.
And he has not forgotten that.

O! - and he loves to trick people - and guess who?

You should see the power of Good differently now.
In this world, there are many people acting and yearning for the Mara's world; some for the Brahma's world; and very few for the Unborn.
ganegaar

Post by ganegaar »

I was thinking "Mara" was just a concept, to give a nice story like flavour to "Defilements" or "bad deeds" !.

Like, say I get a thought to harm someone, if I see the danger in harming (i.e. i am being not ignorant, mindful and alert), i would not proceed, but if i am ignorant, i would proceed and act. Now, when I am not ignorant, it would be "I have seen the Mara, and have out-smarted him! (so he could not catch me)", but when i am ignorant, it would be "I got caught to Mara".
Sīlepatiṭṭhāya naro sapañño, cittaṃ paññañca bhāvayaṃ;
Ātāpī nipako bhikkhu, so imaṃ vijaṭaye jaṭanti.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

santa100 wrote:For example, if Mara could kill a virtuous person who abstains from taking life, then that would've violated the law of kamma. However he can tempt the person into commiting unwholesome deeds. If that person is not heedful and gave in to evil, then s/he'll reap the consequences in due time due to their own kamma.
But beings can kill other beings. Is Mara a being or is Mara purely symbolic? Does all taking of life violate the law of kamma?
santa100

Post by santa100 »

MrMan wrote:But beings can kill other beings. Is Mara a being or is Mara purely symbolic? Does all taking of life violate the law of kamma?
Some people interprets Mara to be strictly and exlusively symbolic. But MN 50 made it clear that's not the case. About the violation of kamma, that means that Mara simply cannot just kill any being as he likes, even to those who did not commit the killing themselves. That's what I meant about "violating the law of kamma", there can't be a re-action without an action. That's exactly the reason why I consider Mara a "tempter" instead of an "almighty", someone who tempts you, yes "You", to do things that will lead to your own downfall.
Tom

Post by Tom »

santa100 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:19 pm
MrMan wrote:But beings can kill other beings. Is Mara a being or is Mara purely symbolic? Does all taking of life violate the law of kamma?
Some people interprets Mara to be strictly and exlusively symbolic. But MN 50 made it clear that's not the case. About the violation of kamma, that means that Mara simply cannot just kill any being as he likes, even to those who did not commit the killing themselves. That's what I meant about "violating the law of kamma", there can't be a re-action without an action. That's exactly the reason why I consider Mara a "tempter" instead of an "almighty", someone who tempts you, yes "You", to do things that will lead to your own downfall.
Are there human beings Mara can kill?