Re: Bhante Jag - Euthanasia

Post by SarathW »

bodhi: "(V 320,24-25). Spk: He reflected thus: "Since the destination
after death of one who has fallen away from jhana is
uncertain, while one who has not fallen away is certain of
rebirth in the brahma world, let me use the knife"
Does this mean he was not an Arahant?
or
Does this mean he did not want to die while he was on Jhana?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
binocular

Post by binocular »

Maiev wrote:I don't think you have been reading the topic too much. Where was such a thing said ? Can you quote ?
Read the first line of my post that you're quoting:
binocular wrote:It's not clear what the underlying issue is in this thread topic.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

To clarify what the thread's topics for discussion are:-
  1. Killing does not include killing oneself. (i.e. suicide is not the unwholesome kamma of killing living-beings, which Arahants are clearly incapable of doing).
  2. A Stream-winner (sotāpanna) can kill a living being. He is only incapable of doing five heinous kamma.
  3. Arahant can kill themselves as they are blameless. Blameless means that they do not have another life.
  4. The three Arahants committed suicide as per Sutta were Arahants before they commit the act.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
binocular

Post by binocular »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:To clarify what the thread's topics for discussion are:-
  1. Killing does not include killing oneself. (i.e. suicide is not the unwholesome kamma of killing living-beings, which Arahants are clearly incapable of doing).
  2. A Stream-winner (sotāpanna) can kill a living being. He is only incapable of doing five heinous kamma.
  3. Arahant can kill themselves as they are blameless. Blameless means that they do not have another life.
  4. The three Arahants committed suicide as per Sutta were Arahants before they commit the act.
But there seems to be an underlying, so far unspoken idea that connects these topics in a particular way.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
robertk

Post by robertk »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: The comments of Buddhaghosa are much closer to the original texts, and therefore more reliable, although he is clearly not an Arahant if the colophon in the Visuddhimagga is taken at face-value.

"By the performance of such merit As has been gained by me through this
And any other still in hand So may I in my next becoming Behold the joys of Tāvatiṃsā,
Glad in the qualities of virtue And unattached to sense desires.
By having reached the first fruition, And having in my last life seen
Metteyya, Lord of Sages, Highest Of persons in the World, and Helper Delighting in all beings’ welfare, And heard that Holy One proclaim The Teaching of the Noble Dhamma,
May I grace the Victor’s Dispensation By realizing its highest fruit."

At best he might have attained Stream-winning, and aspired to attain Arrahantship in the next Buddha's dispensation.
there was a post by ven. Dhammanando about this:
http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... osa#p39669
David N. Snyder wrote:
Buddhaghosa apparently mentions his desire for a heavenly realm in the epilogue to the Visudhimagga:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhaghosa#Critics
=====================================

It is Buddhaghosa's editor who expresses a wish to be reborn in heaven and later meet the Buddha Metteyya. Dhammika, like Nyanavira before him, confuses the scribe's colophon with that of Buddhaghosa himself.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

robertk wrote:It is Buddhaghosa's editor who expresses a wish to be reborn in heaven and later meet the Buddha Metteyya. Dhammika, like Nyanavira before him, confuses the scribe's colophon with that of Buddhaghosa himself.

Best wishes,
Dhammanando
Thanks. My former quote was indeed from the Postscript to the Visuddhimagga. In Buddhaghosa's own colophon just before the postscript he shares the merits he has made with all beings, wishing for their speedy attainment of the Path.
Buddhaghosa wrote:What store of merit has been gained by me
Desiring establishment in this Good Dhamma
In doing this, accepting the suggestion
Of the venerable Saṅghapāla,
One born into the line of famous elders
Dwelling within the Great Monastery,
A true Vibhajjavādin, who is wise,
And lives in pure simplicity, devoted
To discipline’s observance, and to practice,
Whose mind the virtuous qualities of patience,
Mildness, loving kindness, and so on, grace—
By the power of that store of merit
May every being prosper happily.
And now just as the Path of Purification,
With eight and fifty recitation sections
In the text, has herewith been completed
Without impediment, so may all those
Who in the world depend on what is good
Glad-hearted soon succeed without delay.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Can I know the exact word used in Pali for " kill" in buddhism. If kill is destroying life where is it highlighted.
The first precept in five "Panathi patha veramani Sikkha padam samadiyami"- is it only about killing.
These questions haunts my mind now in this thread.
Maiev

Post by Maiev »

justindesilva wrote:Can I know the exact word used in Pali for " kill" in buddhism. If kill is destroying life where is it highlighted.
The first precept in five "Panathi patha veramani Sikkha padam samadiyami"- is it only about killing.
Why is the percept there in the first place ? It is because other living beens do not want do get thing stolen from them, otherwise they would have donated those things. And they do not want to be killed otherwise they would have committed suicide already. These percepts did not come out of the blue, they have logic behind them. They are based on the idea of "don't do to others what you would not like to happen to yourself".
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Maiev wrote:
justindesilva wrote:Can I know the exact word used in Pali for " kill" in buddhism. If kill is destroying life where is it highlighted.
Why is the percept there in the first place ? It is because other living beens do not want do get thing stolen from them, otherwise they would have donated those things. And they do not want to be killed otherwise they would have committed suicide already. These percepts did not come out of the blue, they have logic behind them. They are based on the idea of "don't do to others what you would not like to happen to yourself".
Panathi patha means lives which is breathing living air (oxygen) not hindered and not only killing. And it is not a rule but a Sila (descipline) to be observed by stream entrants.
It also means protection of environment. If one needs volumes can be written on this but is an essential quality of buddhist living by protecting the life energy common to the universe and the earth.
Maithri is also the foremost quality of brahmaviharas.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Bhikkhu Samhita talk about euthanasia.
He discus in details the relevant Sutta and gives a detailed reason why we should not commit suicide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEDJipQXMto
form

Post by form »

udani wrote:
SarathW wrote::goodpost: :)

The question is in your opinion all those Arahants (appears to be) were Panna Vimukti?
I discussed this with an Arahant and according to his clarification all of these arahants are Panna Vimukti. And aslo I didn't find any sutta that mention supper Jhana of above arahants.
There is still arahant living in this world? Who is that?
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

A judge’s sentencing of a 20-year-old Massachusetts woman who urged her boyfriend via text to carry out his suicide may have showed leniency but should not have happened at all, legal experts told USA TODAY.

Juvenile Court Judge Lawrence Moniz sentenced Michelle Carter to 2 ½ years in prison on a charge of involuntary manslaughter Thursday, but Carter will only serve 15 months of that. She was convicted in June in the 2014 suicide of her boyfriend, Conrad Roy III, who died of carbon monoxide poisoning in his truck with Carter’s encouragement via text messaging.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/sui ... ocid=ientp
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The Sutta support that Arahant or even Anagami can attain Cessation of Perception and feeling.

See No 6 Nirdhasuttam

>Here, friends a bhikkhu endowed with virtues, concentration and wisdom, if he abides attaining to and rising from the cessation of perceptions and feelings, he here and now realizes worthiness, or else is born a mental being with the gods who have gone beyond partaking material food and abides attaining to and rising from the cessation of perceptions and feelings>

http://awake.kiev.ua/dhamma/tipitaka/2S ... ggo-e.html