The next evolution is the evolution of consciousness?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The above phrase is taken form the following link.
Does this mean Nibbana is an evolution?
What are your comments?

http://protobuddhism.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=62
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
chownah

Re: The next evolution is the evolution of consciousness?

Post by chownah »

This does not mean that nibbanana is an evolution. The author is suggesting that the process of evolution will create a population of people who are more capable of attaining nibbanana.
chownah
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

:goodpost: Chownah
That is my understanding too.
The question what is that level ?
Is it Sotapanna?
chownah

Post by chownah »

SarathW wrote::goodpost: Chownah
That is my understanding too.
The question what is that level ?
Is it Sotapanna?
I don't understand what you are talking about when you say level. There are no levels of anything that pertain to the discussion that I can see.
chownah
Saoshun

Post by Saoshun »

Nibbana is dissolution of ignorance. The Citta can not evolve anymore because it's beyond such concepts. Evolution is related to the skandhas formations which are ultimately empty.

The next evolution if it would be evolution of consciousness it will be end of dhamma definitely.
Remember… the Buddha had said that everyone living in this world is crazy, by the phrase, “Sabbē prutajjana ummattakā”; excluding the Arahants, everyone else is crazy. Would you get angry if a mad person scolds? Do we get angry for a crazy thing done by a crazy person? Just think about it! :candle:
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

SarathW wrote:The next evolution is the evolution of consciousness?

What are your comments?

It looks a bit new-agey to me. :toilet:
Buddha save me from new-agers!
SDC

Post by SDC »

Just an FYI regarding that website: it was started by some of Ven. Punnaji's Malaysian students back in 2010 and it is not at all clear what writings are his and which are those of his students. Though having once been a serious follower of his work, it appears there is a very good chance that this article is a transcription of one of his lectures (his primary means of teaching), though with a little added flare.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Jetavan

Post by Jetavan »

chownah wrote:...the process of evolution will create a population of people who are more capable of attaining nibbanana.
In other words, the process of evolution will produce Metteya Buddha.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Are we in this earth to attain Nibbana?

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 076&hilit=
chownah

Post by chownah »

Jetavan wrote:
chownah wrote:...the process of evolution will create a population of people who are more capable of attaining nibbanana.
You have edited my post so that it looks like I am stating my views on evolution.
I WANT TO BE CLEAR THAT THESE ARE NOT MY VIEWS BUT JUST THE VIEWS THAT ARE PRESENTED IN THE ARTICLE. JETAVAN SHOULD BE MORE CAREFUL WHEN EDITING WHAT OTHERS HAVE POSTED AND THEN PRESENTING IT LIKE THIS AS IT CAN GIVE AN ENTIRELY WRONG IMPRESSION LIKE HAS HAPPENED HERE.
Also...No, you are wrong. The statement about evolution creating a population of peole who are more capable of attianing nibbanana does not mean or imply that evolution will produce metteya buddha. These are two different things and neither of them is "in other words" to the other.
chownah
davidbrainerd

Post by davidbrainerd »

SarathW wrote:The next evolution is the evolution of consciousness?

What are your comments?

I'd say that None of what they say works at all with Theravada, and it would require stretching even Mahayana pretty hard to come to their conclusion. Logically I think what they are calling 'consciousness' over there is a soul and not what Buddha means by 'consciousness' in the Pali suttas--and souls don't evolve, matter does, so its a non-starter. Then the typical definition of anatta as no-soul would prevent basically everyone here but me from buying into their theory. And I wouldn't buy into it because souls evolving makes no sense to me, and evolution is an essentially random process wheras progress in the Dhamma requires effort.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

I know Ven. Punnaji very well and as SDC noted that site was prepared by some of his students in Malaysia. It is referring to the individual progression from craving and self to non-self. Ven. Punnaji fully understands anatta and there is no self view in all his teachings. Evolution started with craving, with the first forms of life multiplying then continuing to what we have today. The progression needed is to go away from craving and the self views.
L.N.

Post by L.N. »

If evolution is driven by natural selection in adaptation to an ever-changing environment over a long period of time affecting the development of entire species of beings, then I don't see how evolution will lead me or anyone else reading this reply to "the resolution of all fabrications, the relinquishment of all acquisitions, the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Nibbana." — AN 3.32
Sire patitthitā Buddhā
Dhammo ca tava locane
Sangho patitthitō tuiham
uresabba gunākaro

愿众佛坐在我的头顶, 佛法在我的眼中, 僧伽,功德的根源, 端坐在我的肩上。
davidbrainerd

Post by davidbrainerd »

David N. Snyder wrote:I know Ven. Punnaji very well and as SDC noted that site was prepared by some of his students in Malaysia.
I was about to say that is surprising it was written by a monk since it sounds like its written by an American millenial, and then I read your post again and noticed the part I bolded. It smacks so much of a millenial trying to retrofit Buddhism into the scientismist mythology that is the new religion he was indoctrinated into in public school. This wrong view of viewing everything in terms of evolution is just one more thing to let go of.
chownah

Post by chownah »

L.N. wrote:If evolution is driven by natural selection in adaptation to an ever-changing environment over a long period of time affecting the development of entire species of beings, then I don't see how evolution will lead me or anyone else reading this reply to "the resolution of all fabrications, the relinquishment of all acquisitions, the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Nibbana." — AN 3.32
Yeah, this idea is more likely to lead one to mindless musings about the future....but then again for some people it might effect them differently.
chownah