Unconditioned

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ben

Re: Unconditioned

Post by Ben »

cappuccino wrote:I think we can conclude Nirvana is a state, an aferlife as well.

All we call self is inconstant.
Please provide textual support for your assertion that "Nirvana" is an afterlife.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

“There is that sphere where there is no earth, no water, no fire nor wind; no sphere of infinity of space, of infinity of consciousness, of nothingness or even of neither-perception-nor non-perception; there, there is neither this world nor the other world, neither moon nor sun; this sphere I call neither a coming nor a going nor a staying still, neither a dying nor a reappearance; it has no basis, no evolution and no support: this, just this,
is the end of dukkha.”
~ Ud 8.1
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

neither this world nor the other world

Nibbāna Sutta: Parinibbana
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .irel.html
davidbrainerd

Post by davidbrainerd »

Is it not correct to understand the following paragraph in MN 22 as indicating Nirvana is not annihilation?
MN 22 wrote:"Speaking in this way, teaching in this way, I have been erroneously, vainly, falsely, unfactually misrepresented by some brahmans and contemplatives [who say], 'Gotama the contemplative is one who misleads. He declares the annihilation, destruction, extermination of the existing being.' But as I am not that, as I do not say that, so I have been erroneously, vainly, falsely, unfactually misrepresented by those venerable brahmans and contemplatives [who say], 'Gotama the contemplative is one who misleads. He declares the annihilation, destruction, extermination of the existing being.'
Last edited by davidbrainerd on Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Nirvana is not annihilation. It's selflessness.
Last edited by cappuccino on Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

"Sensing a feeling of pleasure, he discerns that it is inconstant, not grasped at, not relished. Sensing a feeling of pain... Sensing a feeling of neither-pleasure-nor-pain, he discerns that it is inconstant, not grasped at, not relished. Sensing a feeling of pleasure, he senses it disjoined from it. Sensing a feeling of pain... Sensing a feeling of neither-pleasure-nor-pain, he senses it disjoined from it. When sensing a feeling limited to the body, he discerns that 'I am sensing a feeling limited to the body.' When sensing a feeling limited to life, he discerns that 'I am sensing a feeling limited to life.' He discerns that 'With the break-up of the body, after the termination of life, all that is sensed, not being relished, will grow cold right here.'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
Doesn't sound much like an afterlife does it? Nothing gets annihilated since nothing belongs to self.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Ben

Post by Ben »

cappuccino wrote:Nirvana is not annihilation. It's selflessness.
Please attribute authorship when quoting, as per the TOS.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben

Post by Ben »

cappuccino wrote:“There is that sphere where there is no earth, no water, no fire nor wind; no sphere of infinity of space, of infinity of consciousness, of nothingness or even of neither-perception-nor non-perception; there, there is neither this world nor the other world, neither moon nor sun; this sphere I call neither a coming nor a going nor a staying still, neither a dying nor a reappearance; it has no basis, no evolution and no support: this, just this,
is the end of dukkha.”
~ Ud 8.1
None of what you have provided supports the notion that "Nirvana" is an afterlife.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

davidbrainerd wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:For the "true self" to experience phenomenal existence, it must be able to have experience, meaning that it much be able see, hear, touch, taste, smell, have thoughts, which then means it must be able to feel, and then must be able recognize what is experienced based upon repeated experience, and it must be able to develop volitional responses to what it experiences, and, of course, underlying all of this is awareness. Without all this, nothing.
Meaning when its linked to the aggregates it experiences what the aggregates experienced because of its clinging to the viññāṇa aggregate.
And you really do not see the problem here.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

davidbrainerd wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:For the "true self" to experience phenomenal existence, it must be able to have experience, meaning that it much be able see, hear, touch, taste, smell, have thoughts, which then means it must be able to feel, and then must be able recognize what is experienced based upon repeated experience, and it must be able to develop volitional responses to what it experiences, and, of course, underlying all of this is awareness. Without all this, nothing.
Meaning when its linked to the aggregates it experiences what the aggregates experienced because of its clinging to the viññāṇa aggregate.
And you really do not see the problem here.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Ben wrote:None of what you have provided supports the notion that "Nirvana" is an afterlife.
Parinibbana!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parinirvana
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

cappuccino wrote:
Ben wrote:None of what you have provided supports the notion that "Nirvana" is an afterlife.
Parinibbana!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parinirvana
So, you are saying that the Buddha is still around, hanging out in parinibbana, is that it?

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

I don't think Buddha was annihilated.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

cappuccino wrote:I don't think Buddha was annihilated.
If he not annihilated, the is eternally persisting, is that what you are saying?

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

It is the Everlasting
the Refuge, the Beyond.
~ S 43.1-44