Metta Training: Wat Phleng

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Anagarika

Metta Training: Wat Phleng

Post by Anagarika »

I am to be in Bangkok next week, and wish to visit Wat Phleng and Ajahn Chatchai for his Metta practice. Has anyone been to Wat Phleng, and is there a English speaking contact at the Wat that anyone knows? I am comfortable just showing up, but if anyone has a contact there, or experiences there, I'd appreciate the shared info. Thanks in advance.
Dhammanando

Re: Metta Training: Wat Phleng

Post by Dhammanando »

I dropped in on Ajahn Chatchai some years ago to pose some questions about mettabhāvanā.

I wouldn’t count on there being anyone there who speaks English. Though in residential meditation centres there will often be a translator on hand, Wat Phleng isn’t this kind of place. It’s a tuppenny ha’penny Bangkok funeral temple that happens to have a meditation teacher in residence, Ajahn Chatchai, who leads day-long meditation sessions for the general public once a week.

If you go by taxi make sure that the driver takes you to the right Wat Phleng, for there are two wats of this name in the same district of Bangkok. To distinguish them the larger and more famous one of the late Ajahn Praderm is called Wat Phleng Vipassanā, while the smaller one that you want is called Wat Phleng Bang Phlat. The taxi drivers know it as Wat Phleng Jaran 75 because of its location on the Jaran Sanitwong Road. This is the address:

Phra Mahā Chatchai Rakkhitacitto,
Wat Phleng Bang Phlat (or Wat Phleng Jaran 75)
Soi Phanurangsi, Jaransanitwong 75,
Yi Khan Sub-district,
Bangphlat District,
Bangkok 10701.

พระมหาฉัตรชัย รักขิตจิตโต
วัดเพลงบางพลัด (วัดเพลง จรัญฯ ๗๕)
ซอยภาณุรังษี จรัญสนิทวงศ์ ๗๕
แขวงบางยี่ขัน
เขตบางพลัด
กทมฯ ๑๐๗๐๑

And here it is on google maps.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

Many thanks, Ven. Dhammanando. Your post gave me a real sense of what to expect, and the directions in Thai will be invaluable. I've been in many a Thai taxi or tuk-tuk with a decent English language map, and spent the afternoon with the driver driving lost. By the way, I saw that you are to be in Chiang Rai region for the Vassa and I wish you a very happy and healthy Rains period there. One day I hope to get back to Chom Tong to meet you in person. AM
Marcodhammam

Post by Marcodhammam »

Just digging up this thread because I'll be in Bangkok this month and I'd like to visit Ajahn Maha Chatchai wat. Do you know if he offers guided meditation/teachings in English? Thanks in advance.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Marcodhammam wrote:Do you know if he offers guided meditation/teachings in English?
He didn't do so when I was there, but perhaps Anagarika could offer you a more up-to-date picture. I've sent him a note.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

Thanks for the note, Bhante and glad to hear from you and trust you are well.

Ajahn Chatchai does not speak much English, at all, but he does have lay disciples at Wat Phleng (including a lovely, helpful man named Vira who was impossibly kind to me) who translates. Ajahn Chatchai is very willing to spend time to talk, and answer questions. He seems to me one of those one-in-a-million monks that is truly noble and kind, unpretentious, and dedicated to high level Dhamma practice and teaching without any desire to be famous. A chance to meet him and to be part of the Sunday morning at 10 am Metta practice is well worth the trip to Bangkok. Note: I was advised that the best day to visit is on the Sunday mornings at 10 am....one can't show up and see Ajahn Chatchai, but he is open and happy to visit on Sunday mornings, at least from my prior experience there.

If anyone on DW wants to travel to Wat Phleng they can always PM me or email ( [email protected]) , and I'll help in any way I can. I have met along the way some supporters of Ajahn Maha Chatchai's, and can email them to help travelers to Wat Phleng find the temple and be ready for translation support.
Marcodhammam

Post by Marcodhammam »

Thank you so much Bhante Dhammanando and Anagarika for your help. I'll be visiting Ajahn Chatchai late November and I'll post any updates here.
Dheerayupa

Post by Dheerayupa »

Here is Ajahn Chatchai's basic guide to Metta meditation in the English language: http://wisdomandwonders.org/wp-content/ ... -cover.pdf

With metta,
Dheerayupa
SidhartaSuryametta

Post by SidhartaSuryametta »

Dear All,

First of all thank you so much for all the information shared here about Ajahn Maha Chatchai. I am really inspired with the teaching of Metta that I read in the book shared by Dheerayupa which I found really relatable from my own personal practice.

I am going to go to Thailand and planned to visit Ajahn Chatchai's Metta session on Sunday 22nd April. I wonder if anyone here can share the timetable of the program? And whether Ajahn's temple allow for yogi to stay for long term practice e.g. for 1 month?

I have emailed Anagarika Michael but probably he has not read the email yet.

Thank you so much once again.