Easier translations of Visuddhimagga?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Kaneki

Easier translations of Visuddhimagga?

Post by Kaneki »

So I was very excited to find there is a systematized step by step process of cultivating the path factors, the Visuddhimagga. I have Bhikkhu Nyanamoli's translation. But I've gotta say.... WHAT? I can't make sense of most if it, the grammar is so confusing. "What is virtue? It is the states beginning with volition present in one who abstains from killing living things, etc." Ok so it's the states beginning, that's good to know, what state? Virtue is the state of virtuosity's beginning? I mean I can understand some of what's said, but for the most part I'm left thinking "ARE YOU ***** KIDDING ME????". Though that's what I get for getting my hopes up.

So I ask, is there any translation that makes sense for a weak minded person like myself? Or maybe even an alternative system that's more modern?
bodom

Re: Easier translations of Visuddhimagga?

Post by bodom »

I returned my copy to the bookstore for a refund less than a week after purchasing it. Like you it was too much for me to wrap my mind around at the time. Though I eventually did purchase another copy it is strictly for reference use.

Here's a thread with my experience of trying to read the visuddhimagga:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?t=1156" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Kaneki wrote:So I was very excited to find there is a systematized step by step process of cultivating the path factors
This is in the Suttas too, called the 'Gradual Path'.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
samseva

Post by samseva »

Even if there were another version, it would probably be much less acurately translated or even be unreliable. Like you said, it's a systematized work (so is the original); it's very techincal and detailed. Removing these aspects would probably render a more simple translation imprecise and the messages in this large work could very easily be misunderstood.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Kankei,

Which parts are you reading? Chapters IV to XVII are very dense and theoretical as they spell out details of the Abhidhamma model. The previous sections on virtue and concentration are much easier to read, and there are some material in Chapters XVIII on that is not too difficult. One approach is to simply skim over bits that you find confusing.

If you really want to get to grips with the Visuddhimagga, Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation of A Comprehensive Manual of the Abhidhamma, which is available as a PDF, see: http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=826#p10038, is helpful. You can simply read chapter IX, Compendium of meditation subjects, which summarises the development of concentration and wisdsom.

:anjali:
Mike
paul

Post by paul »

"What is virtue? It is the states beginning with volition..."
This means that virtue requires an act of will, unlike the states arising from it.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
schakma94

Post by schakma94 »

I translated the Visuddhimagga in Bengali a few months ago. Perhaps I can give you a more readable excerpt of a certain chapter in plain english. Just tell me which chapter you need and I will give it a try.
Kare

Post by Kare »

I read the English translation many years ago. I found it very tough going. Then I got hold of it in Pali, and I was stunned by the clearness and beauty of the text.
Mettāya,
Kåre
samseva

Post by samseva »

Kare wrote:I read the English translation many years ago. I found it very tough going. Then I got hold of it in Pali, and I was stunned by the clearness and beauty of the text.
That is good to know. I hope to get there eventually, however for now, I think the learning curve of actually learning Pāḷi will be more difficult and take much longer than simply reading Ven. Ñāṇamoli's translation slowly and carefully. :D