karmic conundrum

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
knighter

karmic conundrum

Post by knighter » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:57 am

ok, today my four year old found a paper wasp nest under his cubby house. he had been stung the day before and so was my wife, actually my two and a half year old pointed it out.
As the cubby house is very close to all our activity, the wasps just want to come and sting anyone in proximity. So i took my wifes hairspray can and found a lighter and burnt the whole nest and about 20 wasps. I would never have imagined doing this 10 years ago but one wife and two kids later i thought it to be the only option. I've been a serious and lay vippassana old student for 10 years and i have a feeling i know whats coming, but what is your vibe on the repercussions of this act???.

Kind Regards
Ian

Ben

Re: karmic conundrum

Post by Ben » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:22 am

No one knows the repercussion of any act. Kamma is intention. And the kamma of killing as a means of protecting others is going to be mixed.
As householders we are faced with some intractable situations and we just do the best we can.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:31 pm

The world is dukkha.
chownah

Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:00 pm

Clearly it was an act that contravened the First Precept. Still, there's no need to beat yourself up over it, you will experience the result in line with your act regardless.

Just try to do better next time. Be well.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 279&v=info
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com

ryanM

Post by ryanM » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:36 pm

chownah wrote:The world is dukkha.
chownah
Is this helping? Please give advice at a level all/most of us can make use of.
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"

equilibrium

Post by equilibrium » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:39 pm

knighter wrote:.....but what is your vibe on the repercussions of this act???.
The Buddha describes the unpleasant consequences of not sticking to the precepts: (AN 8.40: Results):
"Monks, the taking of life — when indulged in, developed, & pursued — is something that leads to hell, leads to rebirth as a common animal, leads to the realm of the hungry shades. The slightest of all the results coming from the taking of life is that, when one becomes a human being, it leads to a short life span.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:39 pm

Khalil Bodhi wrote:Clearly it was an act that contravened the First Precept. Still, there's no need to beat yourself up over it, you will experience the result in line with your act regardless.

Sadhu!
I agree with you.

I remember I caught a mice using my vaccum cleaner and realease to wild.

I had a bee hive in my house cavity and they started to eat the ceiling plaster.
I try to remove some bricks so I want take the nest out.
I got two bee stings and I killed few bees unintentionally in an attempt to remove the bricks.
I extend loving kindness during this exercise and did not use any protective body cover.
This attempt disturbed the bees and left the house.

Next time If you have to kill, be creative to avoid killing.
Last edited by SarathW on Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:40 pm

SarathW wrote:
Khalil Bodhi wrote:Clearly it was an act that contravened the First Precept. Still, there's no need to beat yourself up over it, you will experience the result in line with your act regardless.

Sadhu!
I agree with you.

I remember I caught a mice using my vaccum cleaner and realease to wild.

I had a bee hive in my house cavity and they started to eat the ceiling plaster.
I try to remove some bricks so I want take the nest out.
I got two bee stings and I killed few bees unintentionally in an attempt to remove the bricks.
I extend loving kindness during this exercise and did not use any protective body cover.
This attempt disturb the bees and left the house.

Next time If you have to kill, be creative to avoid killing.
Anumodana! :anjali:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 279&v=info
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com

cappuccino

Post by cappuccino » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:56 pm

"Now suppose that a man were to drop a salt crystal into the River Ganges. What do you think? Would the water in the River Ganges become salty because of the salt crystal, and unfit to drink?"

"No, lord. Why is that? There being a great mass of water in the River Ganges, it would not become salty because of the salt crystal or unfit to drink."

"In the same way, there is the case where a trifling evil deed done by one individual takes him to hell; and there is the case where the very same sort of trifling deed done by the other individual is experienced in the here & now, and for the most part barely appears for a moment.
Lonaphala Sutta

knighter

Post by knighter » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:16 pm

Smile and start again.
Thanks for your time
peace
ian

chownah

Post by chownah » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:36 am

ryanM wrote:
chownah wrote:The world is dukkha.
chownah
Is this helping? Please give advice at a level all/most of us can make use of.
Sorry that my post was so vague.....I will explain:
It is inevitable that if one lives in the World that one will encounter dukkha. One should expect that if one is living in the World that one will encounter dukkha. So, the scenario of having to kill wasps to protect a child should not be seen as something egregious, awful, or special in any particular way....it should just be seen as one more instance of a World which offers unavoidable dukkha everywhere.
Should I give a definition of dukkha?
chownah

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:02 am

Chownah
You have to address this question with all four noble truths not on isolation of Dukkha (or Samsara).
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:06 am

knighter wrote:ok, today my four year old found a paper wasp nest under his cubby house. he had been stung the day before and so was my wife, actually my two and a half year old pointed it out.
As the cubby house is very close to all our activity, the wasps just want to come and sting anyone in proximity. So i took my wifes hairspray can and found a lighter and burnt the whole nest and about 20 wasps. I would never have imagined doing this 10 years ago but one wife and two kids later i thought it to be the only option. I've been a serious and lay vippassana old student for 10 years and i have a feeling i know whats coming, but what is your vibe on the repercussions of this act???.

Kind Regards
Ian
Sometimes you simply need to do what you need to do. Don't worry about it.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

knighter

Post by knighter » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:20 am

Thanks again, this is all helpful stuff.
Be happy.

Ian

knighter

Post by knighter » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:22 am

Im an avid gardener to
so killing some insects is also a must
as much as i hate it if i don't
my family doesn't get to eat
the beautiful veg i grow.
Ian