Delusion

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
dhammarelax

Delusion

Post by dhammarelax » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:39 pm

Hi Friends

Has anyone Sutta references that define delusion?

smile all the time
dhammarelax
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5

equilibrium

Re: Delusion

Post by equilibrium » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:44 pm

vinasp

Post by vinasp » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:10 pm

Hi dhammarelax,

Quote:- "Has anyone Sutta references that define delusion?"

That is an interesting question. I do not think that there is any such definition. And it is not just delusion, there are many things which are talked about frequently but are never defined.

The teachings seem to be in the form of a puzzle, where the noble disciple has to put various pieces together in order to arrive at a solution.

The reason for this is that the puthujjana understands the teachings in a different way from the noble disciple. So there are some things which cannot be explained directly, but only indirectly.

Some clues for aspiring noble disciples.

1. The Arahant is said to have eliminated greed, hatred, and delusion.

2. The Arahant has eliminated the asava's which includes the asava of ignorance.

3. The Arahant has broken all ten fetters, ignorance is one of the five higher fetters.

4. Since these cannot be different things they must be the same thing.

Step 1. - Work out how the four asava's correspond to the ten fetters.

Step 2. - Work out how the three unwholesome roots correspond to the ten fetters.

Step 3, - Since there is no explanation of 'delusion', or of the fetter of ignorance, or of the asava of ignorance, we have to look for something else which is identical to the asava's but uses another name.

There are further steps beyond these, this is one of the most complicated and difficult puzzles found in the teachings.

With kind regards, Vincent.

bodom

Post by bodom » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:06 pm

"Monks, there are these four perversions of perception, perversions of mind, perversions of view. Which four? 'Constant' with regard to the inconstant is a perversion of perception, a perversion of mind, a perversion of view. 'Pleasant' with regard to the stressful... 'Self' with regard to not-self... 'Attractive' with regard to the unattractive is a perversion of perception, a perversion of mind, a perversion of view. These are the four perversions of perception, perversions of mind, perversions of view.

"There are these four non-perversions of perception, non-perversions of mind, non-perversions of view. Which four? 'Inconstant' with regard to the inconstant is a non-perversion of perception, a non-perversion of mind, a non-perversion of view. 'Stressful' with regard to the stressful... 'Not-self' with regard to not-self... 'Unattractive' with regard to the unattractive is a non-perversion of perception, a non-perversion of mind, a non-perversion of view. These are the four non-perversions of perception, non-perversions of mind, non-perversions of view."

Perceiving constancy in the inconstant,
pleasure in the stressful,
self in what's not-self,
attractiveness in the unattractive,
beings, destroyed by wrong-view,
go mad, out of their minds.
Bound to Mara's yoke,
from the yoke they find no rest.
Beings go on to the wandering-on,
leading to birth & death.
But when Awakened Ones
arise in the world,
bringing light to the world,
they proclaim the Dhamma
leading to the stilling of stress.
When those with discernment listen,
they regain their senses,
seeing the inconstant as inconstant,
the stressful as stressful,
what's not-self as not-self,
the unattractive as unattractive.
Undertaking right view,
they transcend all stress & suffering.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:namaste:
The heart of the path is so simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice.

Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing.

Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this-just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle.

- Ajahn Chah