Thanksgiving Reflections by Bhikkhu Bodhi

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist

Re: Thanksgiving Reflections by Bhikkhu Bodhi

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I agree with Bhikkhu Pesala and Sarath.

Indeed it is not good to attack anyone, ever, but just as it is legitimate to disagree with the opinions of a monk in relation to the Dhamma, it is particularly legitimate to disagree with a monk when they step out of their ancestral range and resort, and venture into the realm of political activism. As important as secular matters are, I prefer the Dhamma and the Sangha to remain out of the firing line of politics. Once they step into politics they step into a polarised world whose language is full of false perception of absolutes, and which exposes them (and by association, the Triple Gem) to a greater risk exposure. With all respect, the Dhamma is the greatest truth, the greatest cure for dukkha, and answers can be found there without wandering unprotected into the unrestrained and emotionally inflammatory realm of politics - with its craving, attachment, partiality, power struggles, cronyism, corruption and ideologically-motivated hawks.

Metta,
Paul. :)
Last edited by retrofuturist on Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

• Ven Bodhi -- More power to him.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
The Thinker

Post by The Thinker »

This is just a reflection, not a call to arms, I imagine many monks think about these topics in private and talk about between each other, this is human nature,, if parts of society are seen to be exploiting another, then they should expect opinions to be voiced, I agree religion should be kept away from politics in a call to arms nature, but this is just a reflection and much welcomed.
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth
The Thinker

Post by The Thinker »

What is this thing we call craving and how can we alleviate it?
"Watch your heart, observe. Be the observer, be the knower, not the condition" Ajahn Sumedho volume5 - The Wheel Of Truth
Anagarika

Post by Anagarika »

I was reading a posting yesterday about "safe spaces," but decided not to contribute to the discussion. I will mention, on reading again this "Thanksgiving Reflections" section, on how all of us that read this posting, and all that posted on it, did so in a thoughtful, intelligent way.

This forum isn't a safe space, nor should it be. People that I respect and like ( even in a virtual way ...) posted responses that I may not agree with, but we do it in a way that cultivates thought, that inspires disagreement and opposition, but all in a reasonably respectful way. And in this process, we get a chance to grow just a bit. Someone once said that the greatest growth comes not from being told you're right, but being informed that you're wrong on an issue.

Being in the company of these good Venerables that we have at DW, and in the virtual company of all of us that participate here, even when we disagree or find another's opinion to be ridiculous, or 'aDhammic,' we stretch ourselves, and grow and learn to occupy happily a space that is sometimes discordant ... as others have pointed out, that is the safest space, the ones where all of us can be found wrong, be found wanting in our analysis, and be given a chance to improve our positions and grow.

I still prefer my positive view of Ven. Bodhi's essay...just sayin' :)
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Anagarika why not post on the appropriate thread then this thread wouldn't go off topic?

My perception is that this forum is a safe space - there is moderation and rules. We have a common interest. The disruptive are excluded. Many of us remain anonymous.

:focus: