American Buddhist Monk living in Thailand Needs Help!

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Hannah1

American Buddhist Monk living in Thailand Needs Help!

Post by Hannah1 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:52 am

Hi,
I'm new to the Dhamma Wheel board, but my dad Glen Zorn is an ordained Buddhist monk who lives in a temple in Thailand. About 2 months ago he was diagnosed with an immediately life threatening aneurysm and transferred by ambulance to Chulalongkorn hospital in Bangkok. He was told his medical treatment and surgery would be free or very inexpensive (couple hundred dollars) because he is a monk, and monks have free healthcare in Thailand. The costs are either paid by the temple or the hospital, never the monk. Well, the hospital and temple both refused to pay his bill, only saying this after the surgery was done. So, since he's a monk with no money or possessions I'm the only one to pay the bill. I don't have that kind of money. My dad can't be released from the hospital until his bill is paid in full, or they will arrest him and dis-robe him (you go to jail for unpaid debt in Thailand).

I've set up a Go Fund Me page to help with the hospital bill. Even if you can't help, please share the page via social media and other boards. I wouldn't be going the crowd funding route if another option was available. Thank you, and please share!

Go Fund Me page:

http://www.gofundme.com/MonkGlenZorn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hannah

pilgrim

Re: American Buddhist Monk living in Thailand Needs Help!

Post by pilgrim » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:21 pm

Its terrible that the temple or the hospital would do this to a monk of 40 vassas. I hope some friends in Thailand can help sort this out. Would it be wise to disclose the name of the hospital and temple here?

Joshua

Post by Joshua » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:19 pm

pilgrim wrote:Its terrible that the temple or the hospital would do this to a monk of 40 vassas. I hope some friends in Thailand can help sort this out. Would it be wise to disclose the name of the hospital and temple here?
Just want to point out that the above link says this man has been practicing for 40 years, but only recently ordained.
He has been a Buddhist for over 40 years, and last year he gave away all his possessions and money, and became a monk (monk's don't own things or have money).
I'm not saying this is not a worthy cause, just wanted to clear this up.

samseva

Post by samseva » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:36 pm

I would definately contact the organizations of the Thai sangha about this. I don't know who it would be best to contact. What I've come up with is the Thailand Sangha Supreme Council, but maybe a monk actually living in Thailand, like Ven. Dhammanado, could be of better help.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:53 pm

Ven Dhammanando did comment in general on the issues of medical treatment for monks here:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 31#p336021

I think it's worth thinking out your options carefully if you travel to a country like Thailand, as a monk or otherwise. Public health care in Thailand is relatively cheap, but the conditions are not what a Westerner would usually find comfortable. High-quality care in modern hospitals is excellent, but comes with excellent prices, and a very business-oriented attitude. I have a friend who spent over a week in a Bangkok hospital a year or two ago. Though he had insurance that eventually paid for everything, his wife had to go to an ATM every day for cash to keep the administration happy. Ironically, that's harsher than my experience with a sick family member while visiting the USA, where the hospital (in suburban Chicago) sent us the bills, which we forwarded to our insurance company.

:anjali:
Mike

jagodage

Post by jagodage » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:05 am

Dear DW freinds

Kindly help the monk in any possible way.It may happen to me or you one day.

With Metta
Jagodage

:candle: :candle: :candle:

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:51 am

I hope Venerable Zorn receives help .. yet I cannot help but wonder ...

Thailand has at any one time 200,000 monks. How can high class medical care for them be paid by the Sangha? Did that not strike him before he went to the hospital. The webpage says he asked but a lot must have been lost in translation.

What a sad and tragic thing to happen.
I know one thing: that I know nothing

A fool from HK

Post by A fool from HK » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:58 pm

Sorry for the below dump question.
Is donation suppose to be made by credit card? (I wish to help but I am not familiar with this kind of donation. And I am not a credit card holder.)

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:19 pm

No_Mind wrote:I hope Venerable Zorn receives help .. yet I cannot help but wonder ...

Thailand has at any one time 200,000 monks. How can high class medical care for them be paid by the Sangha? Did that not strike him before he went to the hospital. The webpage says he asked but a lot must have been lost in translation.

What a sad and tragic thing to happen.
The link I gave above to Ven Dhammanando's post summarises the issues quite well.
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 31#p336021

:anjali:
Mike

A fool from HK

Post by A fool from HK » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:51 am

Donated already.
Hope Venerable will be well.

forestmat

Post by forestmat » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:45 am

@Hannah1, I did send you a private message 24hrs ago, guessing you must be busy.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:42 pm

Good to see that donations are climbing steadily:

Now $2,345 of $7,000
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:14 pm

forestmat wrote:@Hannah1, I did send you a private message 24hrs ago, guessing you must be busy.
You might also contact Hannah via her Facebook page:

Hannah Zorn

forestmat

Post by forestmat » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:25 am

Many thanks Tan Ajahn,

sent Hannah a message now on FB.

Hope things are well with you?

Namassakarn

Matt

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:04 am

forestmat wrote:Hope things are well with you?
Fine, thanks — enjoying a pleasant vassa on a northern Thai mountain. Hope all's well with you too.