Core teaching of the Buddha

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
terryshine

Core teaching of the Buddha

Post by terryshine » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:19 am

This small book explains the Buddha’s core teachings in a simple and profound way. Suitable for all shades of Buddhists or those who are’nt. It’s just plain common sense. If you have the time and inclination to read it – enjoy!

A free download on internet only

An inquiring mind's journey into wisdom, compassion, freedom and silence.
Bhante Kovida

http://ftp.budaedu.org/ebooks/pdf/EN156.pdf

If a false return is added to this web address, then delete everything after the second pdf including the inverted commas.

samseva

Re: Core teaching of the Buddha

Post by samseva » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:16 pm

It does work, but takes a long time to load.

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:11 pm

Thanks for sharing!
samseva wrote:
It does work, but takes a long time to load.
Yes, 34 MB for only a 160 page .pdf is excessive. I have a 158 page .pdf that is 1.5 MB. I'm sure there is a way to make the file much smaller and this would be an aid for those people with slow computers and/or internet connections.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

terryshine

Post by terryshine » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:35 am

Sorry it took a little longer to download than perhaps usual, though hope you find the content useful.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:28 pm

Here is a quicker-to-load link I have found: http://smoothriver.net/bhante/bhante-ko ... ly2003.pdf

terryshine

Post by terryshine » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:44 pm

Thanks Nicolas - took two seconds to download!

lostitude

Post by lostitude » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:39 am

Thanks you. He seems to have an unusual interpretation of rebirth (as far as I can tell) but it's very interesting.

dhammacoustic

Post by dhammacoustic » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:34 pm

This is not the core teaching of the Buddha, these are his own views.

He rejects kamma and rebirth, hence sotāpatti, that's all, he's one of those natthattā-annihilationists.

:anjali:
Uppādā vā tathagātanaṃ anuppādā vā tathagātanaṃ, ṭhitāva sā dhātu dhammaṭṭhitatā dhammaniyāmatā idappaccayatā. Taṃ tathagāto abhisam­buj­jhati abhisameti. Abhisam­bujjhitvā abhisametvā ācikkhati deseti paññāpeti paṭṭhapeti vivarati vibhajati uttānīkaroti. ‘Passathā’ti cāha; ‘avijjāpaccayā, bhikkhave, saṅkhārā’. Iti kho, bhikkhave, yā tatra tathatā avitathatā anaññathatā idappaccayatā-ayaṃ vuccati, bhikkhave, paṭiccasamup­pādo.
:heart: namō tassa bhagavatō, arahatō, sammā sambuddhassā

terryshine

Post by terryshine » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:29 pm

dhammacoustic wrote:This is not the core teaching of the Buddha, these are his own views.

He rejects kamma and rebirth, hence sotāpatti, that's all, he's one of those anattā-annihilationists.

:anjali:
Not sure he rejects Kamma or more to the point vipaka. Think he puts it where it should be, in the here and now. This is where instant vipaka arises influencing each moment by moment. Each one perfuming the next. Of course if you wish to speculate and make up conceptual ideas of a future, for which you have no proof whatsoever. Then I suggest you become a Hindu or Christian, they have these belief systems. The idea that one has a past, present and future birth only endorses self view. Speculating on whether there will be a future life or not can only hinder your practice. Stick to the here and now if you wish to progress with the Buddhas teachings. The only place you can see and prove rebirth is in the here and now, as each sankhara arises and passes away. I'm sure the Buddha would'nt have sold you anything else! :yingyang:

kirk5a

Post by kirk5a » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:50 pm

terryshine wrote: Speculating on whether there will be a future life or not can only hinder your practice.
I have confirmed that is not true for myself. Why make global pronouncements? You don't actually know the truth of "can only hinder," "the only place," etc.
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

terryshine

Post by terryshine » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:13 pm

kirk5a wrote:
terryshine wrote: Speculating on whether there will be a future life or not can only hinder your practice.
I have confirmed that is not true for myself. Why make global pronouncements? You don't actually know the truth of "can only hinder," "the only place," etc.
I'm not sure you will find any great difference between one bod and another. We all have sankharas arising and passing. See yourself and you see others inc the Buddha, who also operates in the same way.

Though well done Kirk5a Either you have attained or have gained psychic powers. May I offer my congratulations.
Last edited by terryshine on Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meggo

Post by Meggo » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:14 pm

vast awareness, which is the true self...
objects arise and pass away relative to this awareness...
cosmic consciousness...

doesn't seem to have much to do with real buddhism...

terryshine

Post by terryshine » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:23 pm

Meggo wrote:vast awareness, which is the true self...
objects arise and pass away relative to this awareness...
cosmic consciousness...

doesn't seem to have much to do with real buddhism...
Wonder if you can explain the meaning of your quote?

kirk5a

Post by kirk5a » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:27 pm

terryshine wrote:I'm not sure you will find any great difference between one bod and another. We all have sankharas arising and passing. See yourself and you see others inc the Buddha, who also operates in the same way.

Though well done Kirk5a Either you have attained or have gained psychic powers. May I offer my congratulations.
Incorrect assumption.

The Buddha did in fact encourage reflections (not "speculations") about past and future births. See for example Assu Sutta: Tears SN 15.3.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
"When one thing is practiced & pursued, ignorance is abandoned, clear knowing arises, the conceit 'I am' is abandoned, latent tendencies are uprooted, fetters are abandoned. Which one thing? Mindfulness immersed in the body." -AN 1.230

Meggo

Post by Meggo » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:39 pm

@terryshine

It is from page 38. I can't copy the books content directly.
On page 40 he says nirvana is a "sublime state of being"...
Also there is a lot of talk of "purifying" the mind and silence as an attribute of enlightenment.

What do you mean with explain the meaning? Isn't the meaning obvious? He understands nibbana not as an insight but as a new mind state, consisting of a perception of a vast awareness, perception of oneness, perception of silence, perception of sublime vs. gross, perception of being. There is a lot of special experience vs. experience which is not so special, arising and vanishing in a relation of duality to this big awareness.