Buddhist hymns

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Mawkish1983

Buddhist hymns

Post by Mawkish1983 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:01 pm

I do not want this to be a discussion about whether or not it is acceptable to recite passages from the Pali Canon in a tuneful manner, whether singing is permitted in the Canon nor whether any benefit can or cannot be gained through singing.

In Daily Buddhist Devotions by Ven. K Sri Dhammananda, it is written that parts are often sang as hymns in traditionally Buddhist countries: for example, the section entitled Saranatta-Mupemi (page 222-223 in my edition). There is no guidance about melodies or rhythms presented. Could anyone advise me where I might glean that information please?

Many thanks!

cooran

Re: Buddhist hymns

Post by cooran » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:25 pm

Hello Mawkish,

Interesting question. I found this by Paul Carus " Buddhist Hymns" :

http://library.uoregon.edu/ec/e-asia/read/budkins.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

Don't know how relevant it is though.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:29 pm

Thanks Cooran. Looks very westernised/Christianised. I was really more interested in the traditional melodic chanting in Asian Theravadin countries. Thanks for the download though!

ryanM

Post by ryanM » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:32 am

Wat Dhammamonkhon chanting of "Jaya Noy"

there's also one by Ajahn Chob that I'll try and find...

:thumbsup:
Last edited by ryanM on Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sabbe dhammā nālaṃ abhinivesāya

"nothing whatsoever should be clung to"

Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:18 am

This looks like a starter. http://www.basicbuddhism.org/index.cfm?GPID=19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and this http://www.dhammatalks.org/chant_index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you google "pali chanting mp3" you'll probably find what you're after.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.” ― Ajahn Chah