Yuttadhammo Bhikkhu

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sati1

Yuttadhammo Bhikkhu

Post by Sati1 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:16 am

Hello,

I would like to recommend to everyone here the videos of Yuttadhammo Bhikkhu on YouTube. What makes them stand out is that most of them deal with many dozens of questions posted to him by listeners, which he addresses from his perspective as a Buddhist monk. I appreciate particularly that he does not shy away from providing uncomfortable answers, which by many standards might be considered extreme (on topics such as friendship, exercise, sleep, food, etc). There are also some videos on meditation technique (vipassana with noting) and a series of videos on the Dhammapada.

Best,
Sati1
London, UK

----
"I do not perceive even one other thing, o monks, that when developed and cultivated entails such great happiness as the mind" (AN 1.10, transl. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi)
"So this spiritual life, monks, does not have gain, honor, and renown for its benefit, or the attainment of moral discipline for its benefit, or the attainment of concentration for its benefit, or knowledge and vision for its benefit. But it is this unshakable liberation of mind that is the goal of this spiritual life, its heartwood, and its end," (MN 29, transl. Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi)

tiltbillings

Re: Yuttadhammo Bhikkhu

Post by tiltbillings » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:25 am

Sati1 wrote:Hello,

I would like to recommend to everyone here the videos of Yuttadhammo Bhikkhu on YouTube. What makes them stand out is that most of them deal with many dozens of questions posted to him by listeners, which he addresses from his perspective as a Buddhist monk. I appreciate particularly that he does not shy away from providing uncomfortable answers, which by many standards might be considered extreme (on topics such as friendship, exercise, sleep, food, etc). There are also some videos on meditation technique (vipassana with noting) and a series of videos on the Dhammapada.

Best,
Ven Yuttadhammo is quite good.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

samseva

Post by samseva » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:38 pm

Ape

Post by Ape » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:05 pm

I'm extremely thankful for Ven. Yuttadhammo. He's the one that really got me into the dhamma. He's also a member here as well.

acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:50 pm

Yes, I too like his videos. I've translated subtitles for one of the early meditation videos into german once.
His videos have been very helpful when I began practicing meditation for the first time.
I do not agree with everything he says, but that's very little and his videos and his blog is definitly worth a look.
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.

Sati1

Post by Sati1 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:15 am

Thanks for these extra links. I wasn't aware of some of his other efforts.

It recently called my attention that he has over 40,000 followers on YouTube...
Sati1
London, UK

----
"I do not perceive even one other thing, o monks, that when developed and cultivated entails such great happiness as the mind" (AN 1.10, transl. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi)
"So this spiritual life, monks, does not have gain, honor, and renown for its benefit, or the attainment of moral discipline for its benefit, or the attainment of concentration for its benefit, or knowledge and vision for its benefit. But it is this unshakable liberation of mind that is the goal of this spiritual life, its heartwood, and its end," (MN 29, transl. Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi)

Atman1

Post by Atman1 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:57 pm

He is even on Facebook and Twitter.

Tweets @yuttadhammo

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/yuttadhammo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:18 pm

I heard that he was also in that 'Second Life' virtual reality place.

Plat

Post by Plat » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:58 pm

I am a big fan of him as well, he explains things very well. I wonder when he will be back in the GTA (Toronto)