New Translation Project from Sutta Central

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Cittasanto

Re: New Translation Project from Sutta Central

Post by Cittasanto » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:06 am

SarathW wrote:Isn't there a generally accepted Buddhist dictionary?
:thinking:
PS: If not we have to put all the people who want to have a different translation in to a one room and lock them up for 18 months and come out with a generally accepted terminology / Buddhist dictionary!
:stirthepot:

Top 20 Pali words without a proper English meaning.

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=21531&hilit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
why do we need that? regardless of whether something is accepted or not doesn't make it exact to the word being translated. Even our own language has wider definitions/uses than our own languages dictionaries have.

Kind Regards
Cittasanto
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill

samseva

Post by samseva » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:27 am

Bakmoon wrote:Personally, whenever I read translations I usually mentally substitute the Pali technical terms back in, especially with Ajahn Thanissaro's quirkier translations (such as stress for dukkha).
That's actually a really good idea.
Bakmoon wrote:I think the main reason why the Sutta Translation project isn't going that direction is because the stated purpose of the project is to render the Canon into much more idiomatic (and also more interpreted) English than the standard Bhikkhu Bodhi translation so as to be more accessible to the general public. I think they will have an interlinear feature that can be toggled on and off though, which is a plus. Hooray for the internet!
Yeah, their main purpose is to make the texts accessible to people that would be pushed back by Bhikkhu Bodhi's and other authors' translations. It's a good goal and why I've stopped expecting different translations from Sutta Central. However, if they add a feature to toggle the technical Pali terms, that would be good.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue May 22, 2018 4:47 am

At the Nelum Pokuna main auditorium on the 31st of May from 3.00pm to 5.30pm.

To reserve your spot now please visit
https://suttacentralinsrilanka.eventbrite.com.au5

Ajahn Sujato will join with three hundred maha sangha for seth pirith chanting, guided meditation followed by a demonstratiaon to use SuttaCentrral.net2 and a dhamma discussion.
PLEASE SHARE THIS INFORMATION WITH YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY IN SRI LANKA.
ALL WELCOME
Looking forward to see you at the Nelum Pokuna auditorium on the 31st of May 2018.

https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/ce ... lanka/9515
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

justindesilva

Post by justindesilva » Tue May 22, 2018 5:20 am

Can this gathering on 31st May be watched in a buddhist channel of Sri lanka?

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Tue May 22, 2018 7:52 am

Perhaps they might produce a video you can watch later.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Wed May 23, 2018 8:18 pm

Blake wrote:The final twice-proofread translations of the 4 Nikayas by Bhante @sujato are now live and the draft flag has been removed.

In addition, the site should now (of a week or so) be properly indexed by search engines so texts should become Googlable, also URL previews such as on Twitter, Facebook and Discourse’s own Onebox should now work correctly.
https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/4- ... dated/9543

Zom

Post by Zom » Wed May 23, 2018 8:34 pm

Yeah, their main purpose is to make the texts accessible to people that would be pushed back by Bhikkhu Bodhi's and other authors' translations. It's a good goal and why I've stopped expecting different translations from Sutta Central. However, if they add a feature to toggle the technical Pali terms, that would be good.
They won't succeed. To do that one must completely rewrite canonical text, making it a retelling.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:24 pm

Zom wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 8:34 pm
samseva wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:27 am
They won't succeed. To do that one must completely rewrite canonical text, making it a retelling.
My impression is that the main aim was to have good translations and that if all of Bhikkhu Bodhi's translations were free, they would have just used those. Simplifying the English is a secondary aim.

I'm finding the new site extremely useful. We now have accessible translations of the the complete first four Nikayas, the Vinaya, and most of the early KN texts. And there are quite a few of Bhikkhu Bodhi's translations there as well.

For Ven Sujato's translations there is the option of having line-by-line English and Pali, and lookup of the Pali by hovering over the words. That's coming for Ven Bramali's Vinaya translation.

So, whether or not one likes Ven Sujato's particular translation choices, it's very easy to match up the Pali and English and examine the Pali with pop-ups from the on-line dictionary. So it's easy to see how the key Pali terms are being translated.

Here's part of MN1, with English+Pali and a Pali Dictionary Popup:
Screenshot from 2018-05-24 09-08-58.png
Screenshot from 2018-05-24 09-08-58.png (156.85 KiB) Viewed 60 times
:heart:
Mike