An Amazing opportunity - ven. Wajirabuddhi Thero

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
tiltbillings

Re: An Amazing opportunity - ven. Wajirabuddhi Thero

Post by tiltbillings »

cjmacie wrote:
And, btw, my sense, so far here, is that this Wajirabuddhi Thero is using magic, especially when watching him speak. This is much more common in Asian cultures than in the West, such that we in the West are less adapt at detecting it. (more about this later)
Looking forward to reading what you have to say about this.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
davidbrainerd

Post by davidbrainerd »

Saoshun wrote:
davidbrainerd wrote:
Saoshun wrote:I can know whatever person is an arhant because his citta is always different. Translation is a bit weak and influenced by person who do not practice much by itself (very crude citta).
So what are you claiming here? That you see cittas? How would that itself not be a claim of attainmrnt of some sort?
It's not attainment. Is your breathing attainment?
What exactly do you think a citta is? This seems like a variant of the "I know he's enlightened because the way he smiles" argument some of Ingram's followers use. I just want to make sure you know that a citta is not a facial expression. Seeing cittas and breathing are by no means equivalents. Seeing smiles and breathing are much closer related, but beside the point.
SamKR

Post by SamKR »

David N. Snyder wrote: A lay person cannot claim to be an arahant, unless he is in that 7 day window (I presume) when he is looking for a robe (ordination). A lay person can attain enlightenment, but according to Theravada, will ordain or die within 7 days. If a lay person claims to have attained enlightenment more than 7 days ago, we can then dismiss it at once.
Can this "7 day window" be just a symbolic way to mean "very soon"?
David N. Snyder wrote: A lay person can however, proclaim his/her attainments (those that are less than full-enlightenment) as there is no rule against doing so. Although, as posted here by others, there wouldn't be much use in doing so, as people can see the value in the teachings and / or the person from their actions, not from the personalities.
I think it is good that people talk about their direct insights and liberation. It gives good hope that such liberation can be realized in modern world, and gives encouragement in practice. I hate the word "attainment" though since liberation is not an attainment of anything but rather giving up of clingings. It is not necessary to regard such awakening/liberation as something almost impossible to realize in the modern world.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

SamKR wrote: I think it is good that people talk about their direct insights and liberation. It gives good hope that such liberation can be realized in modern world, and gives encouragement in practice. I hate the word "attainment" though since liberation is not an attainment of anything but rather giving up of clingings. It is not necessary to regard such awakening/liberation as something almost impossible to realize in the modern world.
Yes, I agree with this too. In some limited cases it can be a good thing for lay people or especially lay teachers to discuss some progress and success on the path, otherwise it could be seen by some as a futile exercise with little chance at making any significant changes in your life.

Dipa Ma regularly talked about attainments and her success along the path, even stating which noble level she was at; near her death stating that she was "third stage" presumably anagami (non-returner). However, for most lay people today, it could become somewhat of a circus, with people making it into a contest, chiming in with their levels; spiritual materialism at its worst.

I agree too with your point about attainments and giving up clingings. I like the hindrances to enlightenment list and there we can focus on what we have given up, rather than what we are attaining or worse, what we might think we are "accumulating."
cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

SarathW wrote:
watching him speak
I haven't seen him speaking.
Can you give me the link?
Through the link given in the OP above:
http://mahanuwara-wajirabuddhi-thero.org/SI/

half-way down on the left, i.e.:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/bsIAf00zK1M?autoplay=1

It's not in English -- the better to observe the body-language, manner of speaking, etc., without the mind distracted by cognition of the contents.
davidbrainerd

Post by davidbrainerd »

cjmacie wrote:
SarathW wrote:
watching him speak

It's not in English -- the better to observe the body-language, manner of speaking, etc., without the mind distracted by cognition of the contents.
When you say he uses magic, do you mean he talks ridiculously fast to give the impression he knows what he's talking about?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

SamKR wrote:
David N. Snyder wrote: A lay person can however, proclaim his/her attainments (those that are less than full-enlightenment) as there is no rule against doing so. Although, as posted here by others, there wouldn't be much use in doing so, as people can see the value in the teachings and / or the person from their actions, not from the personalities.
I think it is good that people talk about their direct insights and liberation. It gives good hope that such liberation can be realized in modern world, and gives encouragement in practice. I hate the word "attainment" though since liberation is not an attainment of anything but rather giving up of clingings. It is not necessary to regard such awakening/liberation as something almost impossible to realize in the modern world.
Two things. The first is that I think claims of attainment of ariya status -- streamwinner, once returner, etc. -- are problematic for any number of reasons that could be discussed, and I think you are correct in your statement: 'I hate the word "attainment" though since liberation is not an attainment of anything but rather giving up of clingings.' "I am a sotāpanna, a once returner, etc." So easy for these terms to become credentials, terms of identity/ego. It becomes even more problematic when there is even a suggestion that such an attainment becomes: “You should listen to me because I am a once-returner.”

The second thing: “I think it is good that people talk about their direct insights.” I do not think it is unreasonable, and it can be very useful, to talk about one’s practice, but again not necessarily in terms self-aggrandizement – “Look at me, aren’t I the most insightful, wonderful person.” In this thread I give two examples meditation experiences that neatly illustrate what, in the thread, I want to talk about.

Also, we need to recognize and accept that there are significant variations in how the Dhamma is taught and practiced.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

cjmacie wrote:
SarathW wrote:
watching him speak

Thanks.
I just watch the video without the sound.
With very little knowledge I have about body language, it appears he is open, optimistic and assertive.
He appears to be a good monk.
I will post latter bout the content of his talk.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Saoshun

Post by Saoshun »

davidbrainerd wrote:
Saoshun wrote:
davidbrainerd wrote:
So what are you claiming here? That you see cittas? How would that itself not be a claim of attainmrnt of some sort?
It's not attainment. Is your breathing attainment?
What exactly do you think a citta is? This seems like a variant of the "I know he's enlightened because the way he smiles" argument some of Ingram's followers use. I just want to make sure you know that a citta is not a facial expression. Seeing cittas and breathing are by no means equivalents. Seeing smiles and breathing are much closer related, but beside the point.

You didn't even understood what I'm trying to say and did not put effort forward it. I mean knowing citta is like breathing or seeing scar on face of people. If you see the scar on people face you know there is such thing (it's just natural to seeing citta like seeing other people physical traits but it's not the same). You just can not relate to what I'm saying going totally off and distorting the meaning. Cultivate and you will know what I mean.
Remember… the Buddha had said that everyone living in this world is crazy, by the phrase, “Sabbē prutajjana ummattakā”; excluding the Arahants, everyone else is crazy. Would you get angry if a mad person scolds? Do we get angry for a crazy thing done by a crazy person? Just think about it! :candle:
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Saoshun wrote:

You didn't even understood what I'm trying to say and did not put effort forward it. I mean knowing citta is like breathing or seeing scar on face of people. If you see the scar on people face you know there is such thing (it's just natural to seeing citta like seeing other people physical traits but it's not the same). You just can not relate to what I'm saying going totally off and distorting the meaning. Cultivate and you will know what I mean.
Part of the problem here is that you are often less than clear as what you are saying. davidbrainerd asked you: "What exactly do you think a citta is? " And you completely ignored that, which is something you have repeatedly with others in this thread; rather, we get from you non-answers such as this: "Cultivate and you will know what I mean," as if saying something like this really has any meaning given that you refuse to explain the terms you are using. And then you turn around and blame those who are trying to make sense of your opaque language for not having cultivated their citta. There no thirst quenching here from you.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I just listened to Ven W. Dhamma talk.
As I expected he was a very genuine monk.
He talked about his experience about the present state of Buddhism in Sri Lanka.
He is concerned about the monks who involve with politics and keeping animals in temples etc. He also talk about how some monks do not support going alms round and instead promoting people to bring food to the temple. He express his concern about sound pollution due to excessive use of public address systems. He said he like to take only one meal a day and shows how it promote practice and health.

He also talk about the Sapta Aparihani Dhamma.
Some thing we all should be aware of.
http://blmitra.weebly.com/religious-space.html
Last edited by SarathW on Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saoshun

Post by Saoshun »

You expect to know things without knowing things. You should criticize yourself for such approach not me for not giving an answers because those answers are not really answers. Cultivate - that's right answer.

and yes one meal a day (google OMAD revolution) have enormous health benefit. It's actually healed me enormously if body learn to manage itself on basis on what it have rather then overeating

on the other side I read whole book (quick read). Very useful, practical and very in tact with dhamma. I see nothing against this guy.
Remember… the Buddha had said that everyone living in this world is crazy, by the phrase, “Sabbē prutajjana ummattakā”; excluding the Arahants, everyone else is crazy. Would you get angry if a mad person scolds? Do we get angry for a crazy thing done by a crazy person? Just think about it! :candle:
udani

Post by udani »

Dear all,
In Buddhas time there was a many of people in the world but only few can understand his teaching and able to attain nibbana. Many people blame him and insult him. Everyone judge others according to their own experience, learning and intelligence level. This world is never empty with Arahants untlill end of this “Buddha sasana”. However, any amounts of discourses by Arahants, or the Buddhas appear and disclose, in fact, the listeners would not understand, if the listeners are not having a prepared and a skilful citta. As an example Buddha saild to upaka about he is an arahant, Upaka shake his head and went, did not understand. But from the single conversation that having with Assaji thero , Upathissa attained to the Sathapaththi. Because he had been practicing and developing the way to end dukkha – skills - techniques and approaches, from past bhava, and he had instantly grasp the essence and cross over sam̊sara when he heard that dhamma.

In here I published about this thero with pure intention. Because He is one of healthy young living arahant(according to my experience ) who can guide many people to nirwana. If someone have a chance to meet an Arahant , that is the great opportunity. Arahant is the only one who can instruct and guide us till to nirwana. According to this discussion some are agreed with this Thero and some are not. That doesn’t matter. That depends on their own experience level. Having arguments on this is useless. if someone agrees with his teaching and have pure intention to practice noble eight fold path can follow him , others can ignore this and just forget this.

thanks with metta
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Because He is one of healthy young living arahant(according to my experience )
How do you know someone is an Arahant?
The way I understand only the Buddha can tell someone else is an Arahant.
Are you an Arahant?
Did Ven. W tell you that he is an Arahant?
Did you ask him whether he is an Arahant?
Did Ven. W told that he is an Arahant to someone else?
udani

Post by udani »

SarathW wrote:
Because He is one of healthy young living arahant(according to my experience )
How do you know someone is an Arahant?
The way I understand only the Buddha can tell someone else is an Arahant.
Are you an Arahant?
Did Ven. W tell you that he is an Arahant?
Did you ask him whether he is an Arahant?
Did Ven. W told that he is an Arahant to someone else?
As explained earlier after listing on his dhamma sermons and having dhamma discutions and observing his behaviour. I believe that he is in this great position. His explanation of dhamma is perfect and no one can explain it like that without having that experiance. So I believe so. I did not hang on that "arahants " term when I heard about him. Just listen what that venerable thero said and realized something. If you don't want to believe it just forget. If you are not agreed with his sermons just forget. I just share my feelings and my experiance. Anybody can have their own judgement. If you not agreed with this arahant term just leave it.