Is it wrong to have a negative view of Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Islam, Judiasm)?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Nirrtix

Is it wrong to have a negative view of Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Islam, Judiasm)?

Post by Nirrtix » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:38 pm

I am talking about the faiths in general and their desires to harass and convert. I talk on religious forums and forums that get into religious discussion a ton (such as ones talking about gay issues.) I know that these forums do not represent the mainstream Christians, but they get really negative. They try to adhere me to their god's laws, but I tell them I am not Christian, so their beliefs are unimportant to me, they insult Buddha (or their poor idea of who Buddha is usually saying he is my god or calling him a "jolly fat man".)

I know they are filled with ignorance of who and what they are insulting, but what should we do in reaction to these types? Should we bow down to their telling us to follow their ways? Sometimes ignoring them is not enough, at school where I go the Campus Christians group hassled me for years to join their group. I told them I am not interested 1000 times. After a couple years of hassling (yeah I am not the best student) I got in their face and told them "I am Buddhist I do not want to join your group." I was a little too blunt some might construe it as mean if they did not know I had been hassled by the same guy every time I passed through that student center.

Anyhow some insight would help. I would like to work on being a better Buddhist, as I said in my intro. I do not meditate etc. I know the basic beliefs, but am not the best follower sometimes either. Sadly the only temple I have been to is in Thailand, I have never been to one at home in Houston. I would like to change that however.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Is it wrong to have a negative view of Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Islam, Judiasm)?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:28 pm

There are plenty of centre in your area in the Buddhanet Directory

Learn as much as you can about Buddhism so that you can give a good answer to anyway who harasses you to join another faith.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Sam Vara

Re: Is it wrong to have a negative view of Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Islam, Judiasm)?

Post by Sam Vara » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:44 pm

I don't know about it being wrong, but having negative views doesn't really help one to be happy and peaceful. For me, the ideal would be to remember that we all have different views about the world, and to not get bothered by this. Maybe people can come across as pushy and negative, but in reality they might be good people who are concerned about your welfare, and who have forgotten how to be sensitive and polite.

And don't forget that we often have the option of not engaging with people who annoy us. If there are internet forums where people are aggressive, we can try avoiding those forums (and other situations) altogether.

Nirrtix

Post by Nirrtix » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:01 pm

Sam Vara wrote:I don't know about it being wrong, but having negative views doesn't really help one to be happy and peaceful. For me, the ideal would be to remember that we all have different views about the world, and to not get bothered by this. Maybe people can come across as pushy and negative, but in reality they might be good people who are concerned about your welfare, and who have forgotten how to be sensitive and polite.

And don't forget that we often have the option of not engaging with people who annoy us. If there are internet forums where people are aggressive, we can try avoiding those forums (and other situations) altogether.
I agree 100% this is why I ask My frustration with hardcore Abrahamic belief followers does not help me, but they frustrate me often beyond belief.

Many of them are very negative individuals, while claiming to speak for god. I have told them "I am glad I do not believe in your god he sounds very hate filled" even telling them flat out a god that negative has to be "man made." This is how I truly feel. I will admit I say it less kindly as I do here. I honestly wonder why I care, but when they condemn me for not being a believer among other things, it really strikes a nerve. I understand most might deep down be good people, but some say things like "gays deserve AIDS" and stuff... anyone that believes that is messed up in the head.

I think that is a tad more past insensitive and impolite though...

I do understand what you mean in not giving them reason to dis myself or the Buddhas teachings and letting them me feel negative.

Nirrtix

Post by Nirrtix » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:11 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:There are plenty of centre in your area in the Buddhanet Directory

Learn as much as you can about Buddhism so that you can give a good answer to anyway who harasses you to join another faith.
Thank you for the directory, but all of those are a ways from where I live about 20+ miles. There is a Zen temple very near where I live that might fill some of the needs. I just do not know how much it will help. I am not 100% of all of the differences between Theravada and Zen other than Theravada is considered old-school Buddhism.

thank you,
Nirrtix

culaavuso

Post by culaavuso » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:37 pm

Nirrtix wrote: I know they are filled with ignorance of who and what they are insulting, but what should we do in reaction to these types?
This appears to be an opportunity to practice development of a number of mental and verbal skills. Feeling good-will and compassion for them even when they are ignorant and insulting can be a beneficial skill to develop. It may be possible to interact with them without quarreling or being ignorant or insulting in return. Perhaps some of these individuals actually have developed virtue, conviction, or generosity and are worth emulating in that regard. The opportunity to interact amicably with them may allow for learning from these beneficial attributes.
MN 18: Madhupiṇḍika Sutta wrote: The sort of doctrine, friend, where one does not keep quarreling with anyone in the cosmos with its devas, Maras, & Brahmas, with its contemplatives & brahmans, its royalty & commonfolk; the sort [of doctrine] where perceptions no longer obsess the brahman who remains dissociated from sensuality, free from perplexity, his uncertainty cut away, devoid of craving for becoming & non-. Such is my doctrine, such is what I proclaim.
Snp 1.8: Karaṇīyamettā Sutta wrote: Let no one deceive another
or despise anyone anywhere,
or through anger or irritation
wish for another to suffer.

As a mother would risk her life
to protect her child, her only child,
even so should one cultivate a limitless heart
with regard to all beings.
With good will for the entire cosmos,
cultivate a limitless heart:
Above, below, & all around,
unobstructed, without enmity or hate.
AN 10.176: Cunda Sutta wrote: "And how is one made impure in four ways by verbal action? There is the case where a certain person engages in false speech. When he has been called to a town meeting, a group meeting, a gathering of his relatives, his guild, or of the royalty [i.e., a royal court proceeding], if he is asked as a witness, 'Come & tell, good man, what you know': If he doesn't know, he says, 'I know.' If he does know, he says, 'I don't know.' If he hasn't seen, he says, 'I have seen.' If he has seen, he says, 'I haven't seen.' Thus he consciously tells lies for his own sake, for the sake of another, or for the sake of a certain reward. He engages in divisive speech. What he has heard here he tells there to break those people apart from these people here. What he has heard there he tells here to break these people apart from those people there. Thus breaking apart those who are united and stirring up strife between those who have broken apart, he loves factionalism, delights in factionalism, enjoys factionalism, speaks things that create factionalism. He engages in abusive speech. He speaks words that are harsh, cutting, bitter to others, abusive of others, provoking anger and destroying concentration. He engages in idle chatter. He speaks out of season, speaks what isn't factual, what isn't in accordance with the goal, the Dhamma, & the Vinaya, words that are not worth treasuring. This is how one is made impure in four ways by verbal action.

"And how is one made impure in three ways by mental action? There is the case where a certain person is covetous. He covets the belongings of others, thinking, 'O, that what belongs to others would be mine!' He bears ill will, corrupt in the resolves of his heart: 'May these beings be killed or cut apart or crushed or destroyed, or may they not exist at all!' He has wrong view, is warped in the way he sees things: 'There is nothing given, nothing offered, nothing sacrificed. There is no fruit or result of good or bad actions. There is no this world, no next world, no mother, no father, no spontaneously reborn beings; no brahmans or contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is how one is made impure in three ways by mental action.
AN 8.54: Byagghapajja Sutta wrote: And what is meant by admirable friendship? There is the case where a lay person, in whatever town or village he may dwell, spends time with householders or householders' sons, young or old, who are advanced in virtue. He talks with them, engages them in discussions. He emulates consummate conviction in those who are consummate in conviction, consummate virtue in those who are consummate in virtue, consummate generosity in those who are consummate in generosity, and consummate discernment in those who are consummate in discernment. This is called admirable friendship.

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:39 pm

Sam Vara wrote: And don't forget that we often have the option of not engaging with people who annoy us. If there are internet forums where people are aggressive, we can try avoiding those forums (and other situations) altogether.
I second that :anjali:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

Nirrtix

Post by Nirrtix » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:46 pm

thank you for your insight... I think part of my problem is I let some things just get to me too much as well...I should work on all of that. :buddha1:

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:50 pm

Sam Vara wrote:I don't know about it being wrong, but having negative views doesn't really help one to be happy and peaceful. For me, the ideal would be to remember that we all have different views about the world, and to not get bothered by this. Maybe people can come across as pushy and negative, but in reality they might be good people who are concerned about your welfare, and who have forgotten how to be sensitive and polite.

:goodpost:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:30 pm

I second Culaavuso.
Jehovah witness people knock my door all the time.
I welcome them and buy their books.
I ask questions. Sometimes they can't answer my questions.
So they leave me alone.
They are no different to an average uninformed Buddhist.
:group:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Nirrtix

Post by Nirrtix » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:49 pm

SarathW wrote:I second Culaavuso.
So they leave me alone.
I agree to a point, I understand being informed etc, but I would rather not be bugged by them at home.

That is one thing I appreciate about Buddhism over Christianity and Islam. Both feel the need to convert others. Buddhists TEACH, but do not pressure conversion or condemn non-believers. :buddha1:

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:56 pm

Nirrtix wrote: I agree 100% this is why I ask My frustration with hardcore Abrahamic belief followers does not help me, but they frustrate me often beyond belief.
Me too. Any way you could reduce the amount of time you have to spend with them?
Buddha save me from new-agers!

Nirrtix

Post by Nirrtix » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:23 am

If you live in the United States it is often hard to. I get solicited to become one of them at work! I have a friend who is Hindu who has a customer at Target who frequently goes to her lane and tells her "I hope that some day I will see you come to Jesus so you you will be saved." IT is all over in the United States especially Southern USA. I probably get solicited less, because people assume I am Caucasian, where my Hindu friend is Indian.

Family is awkward too... they fear their family member will go to "hell" :roll:

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:22 am

Nirrtix wrote:
SarathW wrote:I second Culaavuso.
So they leave me alone.
I agree to a point, I understand being informed etc, but I would rather not be bugged by them at home.

That is one thing I appreciate about Buddhism over Christianity and Islam. Both feel the need to convert others. Buddhists TEACH, but do not pressure conversion or condemn non-believers. :buddha1:
I agree.
But this is a good way to test your knowledge and compassion.
Just read Sutta and see how Buddha tackled those Brahamins.
Many of Buddha's disciples are Brahamins.
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:43 am

Nirrtix wrote:If you live in the United States it is often hard to. I get solicited to become one of them at work! I have a friend who is Hindu who has a customer at Target who frequently goes to her lane and tells her "I hope that some day I will see you come to Jesus so you you will be saved." IT is all over in the United States especially Southern USA. I probably get solicited less, because people assume I am Caucasian, where my Hindu friend is Indian.
Well, you're in Texas. I've never been there but I definitely trust what you're saying. I lived in a very liberal part of the Bay Area for much of my life and the only time I can recall being personally proselytized to there was when two Jehovah's Witnesses came to my door. I could have just said I wasn't interested and closed the door, but I decided to hear their spiel because I wasn't busy. They were quite friendly.

When walking the streets, I'd be much more likely to get proselytized to by Greenpeace or something like that. :tongue: