The Pali word for craving used in the 4 Noble Truths

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Nibbida

The Pali word for craving used in the 4 Noble Truths

Post by Nibbida » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:43 pm

Two related questions:

1. Is "tanha" the actual word that is translated as "desire" or "craving", used in the second noble truth?

2. I sometimes wonder why upādāna wasn't used instead (i.e. "clinging", "attachment") since even when vedana and tanha are present, relinquishing clinging would interrupt the cycle of dependent origination. I'm sure it would be easier to interrupt it earlier, like at the level of vedana, or sense contact, but clinging seems to be the final step before a false sense of self is created.

Any thoughts on this?

:anjali:

culaavuso

Re: The Pali word for craving used in the 4 Noble Truths

Post by culaavuso » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:54 pm

Nibbida wrote: Is "tanha" the actual word that is translated as "desire" or "craving", used in the second noble truth?
Yes.
SN 56.11: Dhamma­cakka­ppavattana Sutta wrote: Idaṃ kho pana, bhikkhave, duk­kha­sa­muda­yaṃ ariyasaccaṃ—yāyaṃ taṇhā ponobbhavikā nandi­rāga­saha­gatā tatra­tat­rā­bhinan­dinī, seyyathidaṃ
—kāmataṇhā, bhavataṇhā, vibhavataṇhā.

Now this, bhikkhus, is the noble truth of the origin of suffering: it is this craving which leads to renewed existence, accompanied by delight and lust, seeking delight here and there; that is, craving for sensual pleasures, craving for existence, craving for extermination.

Nibbida

Post by Nibbida » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:59 pm

Thanks. I was searching online but couldn't find the original Pali. :anjali:

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:08 pm

Nibbida wrote:Thanks. I was searching online but couldn't find the original Pali. :anjali:
The site culaavuso linked has most of the suttas in Pali and is an excellent resource in general. I'm very grateful to those who've made the site possible.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Kalama

Post by Kalama » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:36 pm

Two related questions:

1. Is "tanha" the actual word that is translated as "desire" or "craving", used in the second noble truth?

Similar question would be to ask whether the word dukkha is used in the first Noble Truth , i.e. yes, in both cases . What do you have in mind?

2. I sometimes wonder why upādāna wasn't used instead (i.e. "clinging", "attachment") since even when vedana and tanha are present, relinquishing clinging would interrupt the cycle of dependent origination. I'm sure it would be easier to interrupt it earlier, like at the level of vedana, or sense contact, but clinging seems to be the final step before a false sense of self is created.

Any thoughts on this?

Not only easier , the Vedana – Tanha connection is the weakest spot of the chain , because it is possible by growing insights to become disentchanted , dispassionate about what one feels is pleasant or unpleasant. ( the state of equanimity , not disinterest ).
Only by that the thirst , urge (tanha ) lacks the power to trigger the clinging .
Yes , by clinging there is becoming , the seed starts to grow.

Kalama