Buddhist response to Muslims

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Re: Buddhist response to Muslims

Post by SarathW »

Kamran wrote:"Suppose some bandits catch one of you and sever his body limb from limb with a two-handed saw, and if he should feel angry thereby even at that moment, he is no follower of my teaching."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Guard your mind against an outburst of wrong feelings. Keep your mind controlled. Renouncing evil thoughts, develop purity of mind."

— Dhp
:goodpost:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Dhammanando wrote:
Dan74 wrote:Good manners? I think Charlie Hebdo went far beyond anything considered good manners. Have you seen what they had put out?
Yes, and so what? Muhammad is dead and France is not an Islamic state. It's a laïcistic western country whose citizens are free to say anything they like about Moses, Muhammad, Jesus, the Buddha, or any other deceased religious eminence. They are free to ridicule them in any way they like. If French Muslims don't like this then they've settled in the wrong country. They should pack their bags and go to some place like Australia where their supposed right not to be offended will be ardently defended by a grisly gang of meddling multiculturalist nannies.
Dan74 wrote:In Sri Lanka, not so long ago, an English nurse with a Buddha tattoo, who was a practicing Buddhist, if I recall correctly, was harassed and deported. Now Charlie Hebdo, not only depicted Mohammed, but did so in the most degrading and humiliating way, for no good reason either.
Presumably the nurse's tattoo violated some or other Sri Lankan law. Now if I were a Sri Lankan myself I would be opposed to having a law that presumes to dictate what manner of tattoos one may have. But if the Sri Lankans want to elect parliamentarians who pass laws of this sort, then that's their business, and those who choose to visit the country or to live there should comply with its laws. And in the same vein, if the French want to continue with laïcisme — which appears to be the case — then that's their business. And if Muslims want to live in France, then they should bite the bullet and accept that they've opted for a country that is not going to privilege them or uphold their fondly imagined right not to be offended.

And as for Charlie Hebdo's degrading and humiliating depiction of Muhammad, I don't believe that any depiction of that cutthroat could possibly make him less attractive than he is made in his earliest Muslim biography: the Sirat Rasul Allah by Muhammad ibn Ishaq, link.

Example: in the video below is an interesting account of one of the Sirat's most horrific chapters: Muhammad's torture and murder of the Jewish leader, Kenana ibn al-Rabi after the Battle of Khaibar.
  • phpBB [video]
PS:

Now I refuse to believe that any scurrilous French cartoonist could possibly make Muhammad look more of an absolute prat than he does in the Sirat.
Dan74 wrote:As for chanting hateful slogans inciting to murder etc, that's what our legislation is designed to prevent. Regardless of whether it is done against Muslims or by Muslims.
And the blatantly unequal enforcement of them is a matter of public record in every single country that's opted for multiculturalism rather than laïcisme or something similar.
Bhante it appears to me that you are sending a mix message.
According to video it warns you not to be violence. "Live by the sward die by the sward"
The same time you are criticising peace loving Australians as "A grisly gang of meddling multiculturalist nannies"
As a Buddhist monk we look up to you, for your guidance.
Are you teaching Buddha's teaching or you are expressing your own personal opinion.
If you are expressing your personal opinion I request you to make it clear.
There is no place in Buddhism for violence what so ever.
:thinking:

PS:
This is how true Buddhist stand for:

http://dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 20#p325887" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Another sad development

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ttack.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Another act of barbarism by Islamic State, throwing a gay man from a building.

http://attitude.co.uk/horrifying-new-pi ... his-death/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Bhikkhus, whatever is not yours, abandon it. When you have abandoned it, that will lead to your welfare and happiness. ” SN 35:101

Kamran

Post by Kamran »

Your governments are 100% allied with Saudi Arabia.

Saudi Arabia is not like Turkey, or Indonesia, or Malaysia - its a country that beheads more of its own citizens per month than ISIS.

I don't understand, how can you sell Saudi Arabia hundreds of billions of dollars worth of weapons each year and then blame others for Islamic Extremism ?
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Kamran wrote:Your governments are 100% allied with Saudi Arabia.

Saudi Arabia is not like Turkey, or Indonesia, or Malaysia - its a country that beheads more of its own citizens per month than ISIS.

I don't understand, how can you sell Saudi Arabia hundreds of billions of dollars worth of weapons each year and then blame others for Islamic Extremism ?
“Bhikkhus, whatever is not yours, abandon it. When you have abandoned it, that will lead to your welfare and happiness. ” SN 35:101

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Bundokji wrote:Another sad development

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ttack.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As I said before.
It is not French or Muslim.
It is uninformed ignorant people.
:thinking:

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

SarathW wrote:
Bhante it appears to me that you are sending a mix message.
According to video it warns you not to be violence. "Live by the sward die by the sward"
The same time you are criticising peace loving Australians as "A grisly gang of meddling multiculturalist nannies"
My disdainful phrase was directed not at peace-loving Australians, but statist Australians. These people are not really peace-loving. They might profess to love peace, but what they really love is power. They might profess to be freedom-loving, yet this is belied by all that they do, in particular by their constant assault on the right of free speech. The multiculturalist bureaucrats of Australia, like multiculturalist bureaucrats everywhere else, are just arrogant and authoritarian busybodies whose highest joy appears to consist in the never-ending expansion of state power via frivolous litigation.

Edit: Whoops, the thread was closed as I was writing my reply, so I didn't notice it. Mr Man, I'll reply to your question by pm.
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Since this thread has moved far beyond the OP and since it is repeating much of the same as has been said before, it is time to bring this to an end.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723