Buddhist response to Terrorism

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ben

Buddhist response to Terrorism

Post by Ben » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:38 am

Greetings all,
Last night I chanced upon A video of Ajahn Brahm giving a talk on the Buddhist response to Terrorism.
Given recent events in Pakistan and elsewhere, I thought posting. A link to it here may be of benefit to some.
The talk goes for about 1h5m, and I recommend it.
With metta,
Ben

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... _BZfoQZYbk
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

SarathW

Re: Buddhist response to Terrorism

Post by SarathW » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:24 am

Thanks Ben.
Great Dhamma talk by Ajahan Braham as always. :bow:
Please make sure you watch the whole video (including question and answers), otherwise you end up getting only the half picture and you will misunderstand his talk.

============

PS:
Please see how real Buddhist react to terrorism by seen the following link:

The destruction of the Bahaminian Buddha statues by the Thaliban extremists which was considered as the largest Buddha Statue In the world today, provided the basic concept to creating the rock statue of this nature. The destruction of Buddha statue which was apprehended as a world heritage was scorned by the whole civilized world, Ven. Amaramoli Thero and the members of the statue carving committee who were deeply grieved over this barbaric action, made a firm determination to carve a large rock statue. Some ordained members of the clergy as well as some laymen thought that this idea can never be fulfilled

http://www.samadhibuddhastatue.lk/story.html#creation
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Edith Clampton

Post by Edith Clampton » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:00 pm

I watched the video but I don’t think Ajahn Brahmavamso’s ideas will work. I mean it’s all very well spouting about Mahatma Gandhi, but Gandhi’s tactics only worked because he was dealing with the British. I don’t think they would have worked against the Moslems, Nazis and that sort of type.

It’s my belief that Billy Connolly’s suggestions are more likely to work than Ajahn Brahmavamso’s. He thinks that instead of dropping bombs on these people like we’ve been doing, it would be a lot better if we sent over planes full of high-class prostitutes and parachuted them in so that the Muslim males would get distracted and forget all about the 72 virgins that they think they’ll get for blowing themselves up.

Mr. Connolly’s other suggestion is that we should drop lots of books on them, such as Agatha Christie novels. His argument is that part of the reason that these people are such retarded savages is that at the moment they’ve only got one book to read. If we give them some more it will expand their mental horizons a bit and that will carry their societies some distance on the road to secularization. Then hopefully after another century or two Islam will become a harmless bunny rabbit just like the Church of England.

Anyhow, whatever might be the truth of the matter, here is Mr. Connolly’s video for anyone looking for a more realistic suggestion about how to deal with these horrible pests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EInC73Kd37E

Yours sincerely,
Edith Clampton (Mrs.)

pulga

Post by pulga » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:27 pm

Edith Clampton wrote: Anyhow, whatever might be the truth of the matter, here is Mr. Connolly’s video...
And to think that Michael Savage is banned from entering the U.K. for expressing his views.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:37 pm

When Japan was surrendered after world war 2 many nation suggested that Japan should be punished.
However the Sri Lankan President (then finance minister) quoted a verse from Dhamma Pada and pleaded that world should forgive them.
He said to the world "Hatred ceases not by hatred but by love"
For that, Japan still honour late Mr. J.R. Jayawardana. (had built many monuments to remember him)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=are3D0TEaig
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Edith Clampton

Post by Edith Clampton » Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:12 pm

pulga wrote:
Edith Clampton wrote:And to think that Michael Savage is banned from entering the U.K. for expressing his views.
Hello Pulga,

I had never heard of the man before, but taking a quick look at his Wikipedia page I’d say it’s not a big surprise that he wasn’t allowed in. He seems to me like one of the less pleasant sorts of bigot. I mean Britain doesn’t really need to go importing any of these foreign extremist types when we've already got loads too many of our own homegrown ones. That's why I’ve chosen to put my weight behind Billy Connolly, the best spokesman for those of us who believe in nuance and moderation.

To summarize: we’ve got two extremes to be avoided. First Michael Savage’s and Ann Coulter’s “Jesus and Buddha say nuke the mo fo’s and send ’em back to Allah!” and second Brahmvamso’s ineffectual “Buddha says hug a Moslem!” approach. In between these two extremes we’ve got the Middle Way of Billy Connolly: planeloads of whores and Agatha Christie novels to get the bloodthirsty terrorists to lighten up a bit and forget about the 72 after-death virgins nonsense. I don’t know about you lot, but what I found was that watching the Connolly video gave me renewed hope in humanity and brought back happy memories of Jackie DeShannon singing “What the World Needs Now is Love Sweet Love”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fahg2q9IrAs

Sincerely,
Edith Clampton (Mrs.)

Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:03 am

There is something terribly preverse perpetrated by the right wing in the USA and Europe. The right wing is seizing the moment of censorship to bomb and kill hundreds of thousands of people. In Iraq there are sound estimates that 1 000 000 people died in the conflict.

What I mean is this: the people who refuse to criticise islam (not muslims, islam) are usualy decent people. Yet what the Western society is doing is bombing muslim countries and barbarically killing hundreds of thousands of people. This is because the view that is prevailing is that the problem with terrorists is muslims, not islam itself. By not criticising islam out of political correctness, we are taking the decent people out of the dialogue. But the preversion of this apparently good attitude is the massacre in the middle east.
"He turns his mind away from those phenomena and, having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' " - Jhana Sutta

pulga

Post by pulga » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:53 am

Edith Clampton wrote: To summarize: we’ve got two extremes to be avoided. First Michael Savage’s and Ann Coulter’s “Jesus and Buddha say nuke the mo fo’s and send ’em back to Allah!” ...
I'm not a big fan of Michael Savage, but I do listen to his radio talk show now and then. He has a complex personality and isn't as one-sided as most conservative commentators are these days. Very popular in the Bay Area of California, he was a friend of Timothy Leary -- though he's very much against the drug culture. If you follow news from the U.S., he came out against George Zimmerman. He's the sort of ultra-conservative that liberals come to like, and I believe that is what makes him so threatening.

Although it is painful to some, I think it isn't such a bad idea for secular culture to make a mockery of all religions -- if only to hold them in check. It's when we suppress the truth and try to shape one another with lies in the name of cultural and religious sensitivity that we come to cheat ourselves as a society.
Last edited by pulga on Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:04 am

pulga wrote: Although it is painful, I think it isn't such a bad idea for secular culture to make a mockery of all religions -- if only to hold them in check. It's when we suppress the truth and try to shape one another with lies in the name of cultural and religious sensitivity that we come to cheat ourselves as a society.
Precisely! The first ammendment of the USA constitution, which is law/contitutional in every civilised country, was created precisely to prevent two types of tyrany: statal and religious. We have a false sense of security in the West and we go as far as thinking we don't need the first ammendment to protect us from each type of tyrany. Or the fourth ammendment, for that matter _ the right to privacy. I fear that one day all this will hit us a lot stronger than we may even imagine. All in the name of lies spread by the right wing of the western world. It's really despicable. Sensitivity is overthrowing truth with really severe consequences for everyone that doesn't profit from the selling of military equipment.
"He turns his mind away from those phenomena and, having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' " - Jhana Sutta

pulga

Post by pulga » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:44 am

Modus.Ponens wrote:All in the name of lies spread by the right wing of the western world.
The left wing is just as culpable as the right.

Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:28 am

pulga wrote:
Modus.Ponens wrote:All in the name of lies spread by the right wing of the western world.
The left wing is just as culpable as the right.
In the USA that's true. In Europe, there's a grey area. If you define the left as one of the two alternating parties in every country's government, then that's very true, unfortunately. But in all honesty, these parties are not left to me. They're just business men/mobsters, just like the right, except their words are more pleasing.

But the true left, like the greens in many countries, has to speak up on this. The left, even if it does not hold executive power, has always been the moral consciousness of european countries. If they don't do their duty of speaking up against islam, they end up allowing the massacre in the middle east. That is the sad story so far: we stand up to defend islam and end up leting muslims die.

chownah

Post by chownah » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:23 am

but Gandhi’s tactics only worked because he was dealing with the British.
But Ganhi's tactics did not work. His goal was a single united India with muslims and hindus living together in peace.....he failed....there are now three countries in place of his single united one and two of them have been fighting continually ever since their founding.
chownah

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:40 am

Ben wrote:Last night I chanced upon A video of Ajahn Brahm giving a talk on the Buddhist response to Terrorism.
0:10:15 - 0:10:55 :thumbsup:

I’m glad to learn that I’m not the only bhikkhu who applauds the French government for its ban on the public wearing of the burqa‘ and niqāb and its refusal to compromise with the spokesmen for 7th century barbarism.

Ben

Post by Ben » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:18 pm

Dhammanando wrote:
Ben wrote:Last night I chanced upon A video of Ajahn Brahm giving a talk on the Buddhist response to Terrorism.

I’m glad to learn that I’m not the only bhikkhu who applauds the French government for its ban on the public wearing of the burqa‘ and niqāb and its refusal to compromise with the spokesmen for 7th century barbarism.
Dear Bhante,

And if it is the women themselves that wish to wear the niqab and burka as an expression of their devotion, how is it any different to a Buddhist lay person wearing white or a catholic nun wearing a veil?
With metta,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:28 pm

Ben wrote:
Dhammanando wrote:

Dear Bhante,

And if it is the women themselves that wish to wear the niqab and burka as an expression of their devotion, how is it any different to a Buddhist lay person wearing white or a catholic nun wearing a veil?
With metta,
Ben
Since we're getting into this topic again, here is a recorded debate featuring an actual Frenchman politician who supports the law and lays out the reasons why he does so. I might have gotten the video from this forum but I don't remember.

France is Right To Ban The Veil - A Debate
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa