Nimitta

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
khemindas

Nimitta

Post by khemindas »

I found interested thing.

Buddhagosa :

215. It appears to some like a star or a cluster of gems or a cluster of pearls, to others with a rough touch like that of silk-cotton seeds or a peg made of heartwood, to others like a long braid string or a wreath of flowers or a puff of smoke, to others like a stretched-out cobweb or a film of cloud or a lotus flower or a chariot wheel or the moon's disk or the sun's disk. [Underlining mine].
khemindas

Re: Nimitta

Post by khemindas »

Tibetan practice of Tummo:

Inner heat

(Tib. gtum-mo) Visualizing the channels, Visualizing the mantric syllables and engaging in the vase breathing technique. This gives rise to five signs: like a mirage, like a wisp of smoke, like the flickering of fireflies, like a glowing butter lamp, and like a sky free of clouds.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Interesting isn't it. :)

This article may some interest as well.

http://dharmafarer.org/wordpress/wp-con ... a-piya.pdf
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
no mike

Post by no mike »

SarathW wrote:Interesting isn't it. :)

This article may some interest as well.

http://dharmafarer.org/wordpress/wp-con ... a-piya.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have had some frustration during the last year or so not attaining a visual or preparatory sign; however, after reading some of Lee's description of nimitta I realize I often get to a state as described by the above article as " 'minor zest' (khuddaka pīti)." In fact, I can start these sensations and manipulate them to move to various parts of the body (sometimes). When I am facing fatigue and at threat of falling asleep, I use this to energize myself. Years ago while practicing meditation methods from a book called T'AI CHI CH'UAN & MEDITATION, I was getting the sensations very strongly in waves.

I have been vary lax lately and need to get back into routine sitting and walking meditation. Maybe these kind of articles will help me gain a sense of confidence.

Thank you for this thread, hopefully I can find some more material that seems to include more characteristics of things of which I can relate.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Do not try to chase Nimtta or Jhana.
They will come to you naturally.
Instead keep you attention on the meditation object (Kasina, Breath, precepts, Bhahama Viharas etc)
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
no mike

Post by no mike »

Thank you :)