Sigalovada Sutta shaped my life.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Sigalovada Sutta shaped my life.

Post by SarathW »

A copy of the Sigalovada Sutta was framed and displayed in my father's restaurant.
I used to read it almost everyday while I have nothing else to do.
This teaching greatly help with my studies and the lay life.
I just like to share it with you as this topic is not normally discussed in this forum.
Please do not hesitate to comment on this as some of the content may be controversial in the modern day of thinking.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nara.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Sanjay PS

Re: Sigalovada Sutta shaped my life.

Post by Sanjay PS »

SarathW wrote:A copy of the Sigalovada Sutta was framed and displayed in my father's restaurant.
I used to read it almost everyday while I have nothing else to do.
This teaching greatly help with my studies and the lay life.
I just like to share it with you as this topic is not normally discussed in this forum.
Please do not hesitate to comment on this as some of the content may be controversial in the modern day of thinking.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .nara.html
Thank you very much Sarath . I had read this quite a few years ago , and was very inspired . Thanks to you , i get to see this compass again . Times may change , people and living may change , but good values, good advice , remain good values and good advice :-) Your Father is great :-) A wonderful noble inheritance has been passed on .
The Path of Dhamma

The path of Dhamma is no picnic . It is a strenuous march steeply up the hill . If all the comrades desert you , Walk alone ! Walk alone ! with all the Thrill !!

U S.N. Goenka
DhammaOS

Re: Sigalovada Sutta shaped my life.

Post by DhammaOS »

I love this sutta, and I find it very profound. I will have to go and re-read it at some point to refresh myself since it has been awhile.
"There are, O monks, these four lights. What four? The light of the moon, the light of the sun, the light of fire, and the light of wisdom. Of these four lights, the light of wisdom is supreme."-AN 4:143

Buddham saranam gacchami, Dhammam saranam gacchami, Sangham saranam gacchami