the great Nibbana = annihilation, eternal, or something else thread

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mikenz66

Re: Is Nibbana a transcendent reality, or just a state of mind?

Post by mikenz66 »

Goofaholix wrote:
davidbrainerd wrote:Are you claiming that "There is, monks, an unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated. If there were not that unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, there would not be the case that escape from the born — become — made — fabricated would be discerned." is poetry rather than prose?
Yes, on the basis that the Udana is mostly verse. If someone more intimate with the Pali knows better I'm sure they'll correct me.
davidbrainerd wrote: And no, "an" is not a problem. Its required by English grammar. So Pali and a host of other languages don't need an indefinite article. Only somone who knows English only would complain about that as if it matters at all.
I think the reason "an" is needed because it makes for better poetry than...
"There is, monks, that which is unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated. If there were not that which is unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, there would not be the case that escape from that which is born — become — made — fabricated would be discerned."
So we have:
https://suttacentral.net/pi/ud8.3/-1
“Atthi, bhikkhave, ajātaṃ abhūtaṃ akataṃ asaṅkhataṃ.
https://suttacentral.net/en/ud8.3/3-3.277
“There is, monks, an unborn, unbecome, unmade, unconditioned.
But literally, the Pali says:
Exists monks unborn...
See: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?t=2409#p33515 for a detailed discussion.

:anjali:
Mike
davidbrainerd

Post by davidbrainerd »

mikenz66 wrote:But literally, the Pali says:
Exists monks unborn...
See: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?t=2409#p33515 for a detailed discussion.

Mike
Nope. Monks is in the vocative. So it says:

"There exists, O monks, [something] unborn..." (i.e. he's telling the monks something unborn exists, not saying the monks are unborn)

The construction "There exists, O monks, unborn..." is fine in Pali, Greek, Latin, Hebrew, etc.

But in English we need an "an" or "something" or "that which", etc.

Its merely a difference in grammar between ancient languages and English. There is no difference in meaning hidden in it.
Last edited by davidbrainerd on Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

mikenz66 wrote: But literally, the Pali says:
Exists monks unborn...
Thanks, that makes more sense than the translations we've been working with.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Know that faith is one of the five faculties.
And the four stages are a measure, of the strength of these five faculties.
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

tiltbillings wrote:
polarbear101 wrote:
It seems to me that one only has two choices, either accept that nibbana is "merely" the destruction of passion, aversion, and delusion, the ending of craving, the remainderless cessation of dukkha, or nibbana is a form of consciousness.
It is both.
I'm not sure if you are referring to arahatta-phala samadhi or just the fact that any time-slice of the arahant's consciousness is freed from craving, but what I meant by nibbana as a form of consciousness was that it is a form of consciousness that survives the final ending the of the five aggregates. And there is no good evidence for that notion in the suttas as far as I can tell.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

“There is that dimension where there is neither earth, nor water, nor fire, nor wind; neither dimension of the infinitude of space, nor dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, nor dimension of nothingness, nor dimension of neither perception nor non-perception; neither this world, nor the next world, nor sun, nor moon. And there, I say, there is neither coming, nor going, nor staying; neither passing away nor arising: unestablished, unevolving, without support. This, just this, is the end of stress.”
Ud 8.1
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
theY

Post by theY »

when you wanna actually know something, you should learn everything what it be. Nibbaana are from pali, please learn it from pali.
Above message maybe out of date. Latest update will be in massage's link.
--------------------------------------------------
Tipitaka memorization is a rule of monks. It isn't just a choice. They must done it.
bahussuto nāma tividho hoti – nissayamuccanako, parisupaṭṭhāpako, bhikkhunovādakoti.
http://UnmixedTheravada.blogspot.com/20 ... monks.html
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

polarbear101 wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
polarbear101 wrote:
It seems to me that one only has two choices, either accept that nibbana is "merely" the destruction of passion, aversion, and delusion, the ending of craving, the remainderless cessation of dukkha, or nibbana is a form of consciousness.
It is both.
I'm not sure if you are referring to arahatta-phala samadhi or just the fact that any time-slice of the arahant's consciousness is freed from craving,
Pretty much these two things.
but what I meant by nibbana as a form of consciousness was that it is a form of consciousness that survives the final ending the of the five aggregates. And there is no good evidence for that notion in the suttas as far as I can tell.
Interestingly, I had a conversation on E-Sangha with Malcolm Smith, aka Namdrol, about this sort of thing. He was advocating this sort of position that you are taking. Honestly, I won't go there, not that it could not be defended, but the dangers of taking such a position far outweigh any advantage in making sense of post-mortem nibbana. Way too easy to slip into holding an ersatz atman/brahman -- tat tvam asi/om tat sat/sat chit ananda -- notions, but mostly I do not really care about this issue at this level since I do not see a practical application in terms of practice.

But then I really do not care about such ideas a sotāpanna, once returners and such as goals of practice. I have seen/known over the past 48-9 years of my being a Buddhist any number of folks who have claimed of themselves of having attained ariya status. Most, almost all, of the people were in fact seriously flawed in ways that undermines any claim of awakening, and this includes some of the more recent ones I have encountered on this forum and elsewhere.

The ones I feel, without question, who have managed to gain no small degree of insight and transformation from their practice rarely claimed such of themselves (even privately), or have spoken of it in ways that drew no attention or little favor in their direction.

For myself, doing the practice is enough, and in a very real way, what I am practicing for is dying, death. If one cannot sit with an equanimous, concentrated mindful mind in face of the dangerous mind states, sit with an equanimous, concentrated mindful mind in face of difficulties of being seriously ill, I suspect one will find it a bit more difficult to face the moments of death. As a hospice nurse, I deal with death directly, with the dying and with their families before and after the death of their loved one, and see how difficult death can be for those are dying and for those who are losing a loved one. If I have to have a goal, it is to have a good death, to be as much awake as possible as I die, which is to say to be awake as much as possible during my life. After that, I am not worried.

The sort of things I outlined here and here is how I understand the Dhamma in terms of practice. No one needs to agree with me on any of this.

So, the bottom line, I have offered some ideas on the subject of this thread, and others have proffered their ideas. Now it is time to practice.
Last edited by tiltbillings on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
chownah

Post by chownah »

cappuccino wrote:Some cannot accept transcendent realities,
for they already accept there are none, period.

(God is impossible attitude…)
Some neither accept nor reject "transcendent realities" because some understand that this concept lies beyond range.

Some neither accept nor reject "transcendent realities" because it seems that a cogent and functional definition of this term has not been found.

People use the term "transcendent reality" without even referring to the rather mundane issue as to whether they mean "santa claus is a transcendent reality" or whether they mean that "santa claus lives in a transcendent reality". People don't seem to understand that one needs to indicate which usage one is asserting which shows how ambiguous the conversation can become....never mind that both of these definitions lack a cogent and functional definition and seemingly are out of range.
chownah
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

davidbrainerd wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:But literally, the Pali says:
Exists monks unborn...

Mike
Nope. Monks is in the vocative. So it says:

"There exists, O monks, [something] unborn..." (i.e. he's telling the monks something unborn exists, not saying the monks are unborn)
Yes, sure, the monks are not unborn, of course...

Anyway, the link I gave goes into this in excruciating detail.

:coffee:
Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

cappuccino wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:
cappuccino wrote:Obviously you're not accepting Buddha's rejection of annihilation…
Is this a comment addressed to a particular post or person?
If you don't accept nirvana is a reality.
What do you mean by "a reality"? It might be better to frame the question along the lines of whether or not "nibbana is possible".

Mike
SDC

Post by SDC »

mikenz66 wrote:It might be better to frame the question along the lines of whether or not "nibbana is possible".
What fun would that be?
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

cappuccino wrote:“There is that dimension where there is neither earth, nor water, nor fire, nor wind; neither dimension of the infinitude of space, nor dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, nor dimension of nothingness, nor dimension of neither perception nor non-perception; neither this world, nor the next world, nor sun, nor moon. And there, I say, there is neither coming, nor going, nor staying; neither passing away nor arising: unestablished, unevolving, without support. This, just this, is the end of stress.”
Ud 8.1
I'm guessing, as we generally have to with your posts, that you like the word dimension here.

The pali word used is āyatanaṃ:(Place,dwelling-place,abode,home,seat,rendezvous,haunt,receptacle,mine; altar,shrine; place of origin,source,fount,cause,origin) and it is also variously translated as base or sphere.

Ripe ambiguity for poetry I'd think.

I saw a couple of comments that the Buddha was specifically referring to brahmanical cosmology here.

Interestingly if you drop the m you get Āyatana (sense base) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayatana I wonder if the Buddha was punning here.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

mikenz66 wrote:See: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?t=2409#p33515 for a detailed discussion.
Clearly the Udana passage is describing Nibbana, and it would make sense for unborn, unbecome etc to be adjectives describing it.

I think the ambiguity is really around the meaning of "There is" and "There exists". Does this mean that Nibbana exists now, or does it mean Nibbana is a potential state of mind?

There is, bhikkhus, a not-born, a not-brought-to-being, a not-made, a not-
conditioned. -- J. Ireland

There is, monks, an unborn -- unbecome -- unmade -- unfabricated. --
Thanissaro

Monks, there is a not-born, a not-brought-to-being, a not-made, a not-
compounded. -- F.L. Woodward

There exists, monks, that in which there is no birth, where nothing has come
into existence, where nothing has been made, where there is nothing conditioned.
-- P. Masefield
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Spiny Norman wrote: I think the ambiguity is really around the meaning of "There is" and "There exists". Does this mean that Nibbana exists now, or does it mean Nibbana is a potential state of mind?
Consider these clunky pieces of poor grammar...

"There is an uneducated - unemployed - unqualified - insolvent"
... do you assume this is talking about the existence of a separate reality/sphere/existent entity? or a group of people sharing similar characteristics in our own reality?

"There is an undamaged - unused - unsoiled - unexpired"
... do you assume this is talking about the existence of a separate reality/sphere/existent entity? or some stock or goods sharing similar characteristics in our own reality?
― Ajahn Chah