Maintaining samvega when things are going well

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Viscid

Re: Maintaining samvega when things are going well

Post by Viscid »

I wonder how necessary a belief in rebirth is to having a proper sense of samvega.. Dying once is unfortunate. Dying innumerable times in innumerable ways is horrific. The inalterable fact that one is going to suffer in myriad forms, regardless of how comfortable their life is now, is much more conductive to samvega than the popular idea that death is a final end to further suffering.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

HiViscid
Agree.
Contemplating on birth and death is a very powerful meditation object.
Contemplating on inconstant, stress and Anatta also very powerful.
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Mkoll wrote:
SarathW wrote:Many monks are actively involve with fund raising.
:shrug:
I am not against it.
What I am saying is that some monks are not free from financial burdens.
I don't deny that. But I'm talking about personal finance. A monk concerned with making profit for himself is no monk IMO.
Good point.
You can involve with worldly affairs without attachment.
Monk has to go begging for food. He does this without attachment.
Can't lay people involve with worldly matters without attachment?
:thinking:
phil

Post by phil »

SarathW wrote:
Mkoll wrote:
SarathW wrote:Many monks are actively involve with fund raising.
:shrug:
I am not against it.
What I am saying is that some monks are not free from financial burdens.
I don't deny that. But I'm talking about personal finance. A monk concerned with making profit for himself is no monk IMO.
Good point.
You can involve with worldly affairs without attachment.
Monk has to go begging for food. He does this without attachment.

Hi Sarath, all
Can monks? With all due respect to our venerable friends here, ordaining and putting on the robes does not get rid of attachment, nor does a monastic lifestyle. I'm sure there is nothing controversial about saying that!

The cittas that accumulate attachment are not "monks" or "lay people" are they? They keep on keeping on, accumulating attachment. But sure, the ordained have more freedom from the responsibilties that strengthen attachments.

One example I often think of is killing mosquitoes. I have family responsibilities as a lay follower and if there is a mosquito in my house and there is a chance to kill it, unfortunately I will kill it. There are tropical diseases coming north to Japan. I have a responsibility to care for my family. (Mangala sutta gets at that I think.) Perhaps an indication of the arising of samvega would be an adamant refusal to kill mosquitoes, no matter what. But if that happens to me, I should get divorced and leave lay follower life behind.

Phil
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Phil
What would you do if you were a monk? (if you were in the same situation in regard to mosquito)
phil

Post by phil »

SarathW wrote:Hi Phil
What would you do if you were a monk? (if you were in the same situation in regard to mosquito)
Hi Sarath

If I wee a monk it would depend on the citta at the moment. I'm sure for most people who have ordained there is enough accumulated abstention from killing and other accumulated (developed?) wholesome factors that the mosquito would not be killed. As for me as a lay follower, if my partner were away on a business trip, there is a better chance the mosquito would be wisely spared. Attachment to and concern for my loved one would not enter into the flow of cittas at that moment. (Attachment to my comfort certainly would!)

Phil
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)
jagodage

Post by jagodage »

Maintaining Samvega when things are going well

Samvega - By this what I understand is to do what to do without waiting.
The contemplation on death will enhance samvega.Samvega should be generated when things going well.Will be comparatively easy when things not going well.If we do the contemplation of death,we will develop the urgency to follow the Path more adamantly.Why we are not able to maintain samvega when happy is due to it's been hide by Moha.

There are two Buddha words.One is Thanha(attachment).Other is Chanda.This word Chanda means the minimum requirement of Thanha necessary to maintain the life. Anything beyond minimum is excessive attachment(Thanha).i e excessive desire.This is the desire that we should control.

Killing a mosquito can be avoid if we evaluate alternate options available.Thus keeping the precept intact.We have a responsibility to look after well being of all family members.Yes.There is a conflict situation with keeping precepts.We have to use wisdom to get over this conflict.

With Metta