How to support a monk in Asia

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sati1

How to support a monk in Asia

Post by Sati1 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:30 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on how to provide support ("lay support") to specific monks abroad. I have two friend monks in Sri Lanka that I would like to support. I could send them packages, but am not sure what would be of use - obviously items that lay people would enjoy (eg candies, clothes) would not be of any use.

Thank you,
Sati1
London, UK

----
"I do not perceive even one other thing, o monks, that when developed and cultivated entails such great happiness as the mind" (AN 1.10, transl. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi)
"So this spiritual life, monks, does not have gain, honor, and renown for its benefit, or the attainment of moral discipline for its benefit, or the attainment of concentration for its benefit, or knowledge and vision for its benefit. But it is this unshakable liberation of mind that is the goal of this spiritual life, its heartwood, and its end," (MN 29, transl. Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi)

appicchato

Re: How to support a monk in Asia

Post by appicchato » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:47 pm

Perhaps contacting your friends, stating your desire to provide support, and ask them what is allowable, and/or what they may be in need of...

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:51 am

Hi Sati
Please to see that you are practicing some Dana (giving) as well.
This is some what complete your mission.

Attachment is eliminated by giving
Anger is eliminated by practicing Brahamaviharas.
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Sati1

Post by Sati1 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:46 am

Dear apicchato and SarathW,

Thank you for your comments. I did ask them if they needed anything, and they said that they would let me know if they did. I am afraid that they might be too modest to ask for anything though! But perhaps I should be patient and wait for a request.

With metta,
Sati1
London, UK

----
"I do not perceive even one other thing, o monks, that when developed and cultivated entails such great happiness as the mind" (AN 1.10, transl. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi)
"So this spiritual life, monks, does not have gain, honor, and renown for its benefit, or the attainment of moral discipline for its benefit, or the attainment of concentration for its benefit, or knowledge and vision for its benefit. But it is this unshakable liberation of mind that is the goal of this spiritual life, its heartwood, and its end," (MN 29, transl. Ven Bhikkhu Bodhi)