buddha tattoo

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
redcloud

Re: buddha tattoo

Post by redcloud »

I cant find the quote but their used to be a member here that used a drug (dont want to advertise but not weed,LSD,mushroom ) that he thought helped him reach jhana - he said that all drugs are bad except this drug and that he uses it safely ect
Ayahuasca? DMT is the active ingriedient in ayahuasca and it is in every human (pineapplegland) and it is said to be released naturally when you are born, during deep sleep and when you die. The amazon indians say that when ingested you die without your body dying so you go into the world of the afterlife/spiritworld. Ayahuasca means vine of the dead or vine of the soul. I find it fascinating but i dont have the balls to do it. I'm not ready yet to be confronted with demons, angels, spirits etc. Fact is that it has cured many people from alcoholism, drugaddiction, depression and also physical illnesses.
Its funny these shamans have never heard of buddhism but they always say ayahuasca teaches them to love and protect mother earth and the forest, to not lie or steal, to live in the now etc, very similair to buddhism. Offcourse there are also charlatans and fake shamans just like fake gurus.
The shamans call it a sacred medicine and feel insulted when people call it a drug. Here are two very interresting docus: Shamans of the amazon...and...DMT the spirit molecule

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca1TGqODjzM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-9AHa9YXmM
i wonder if you will one day regret using LSD
No unless i develop schitzophrenia but i dont have any mental illness in my family so the chance is extremely small. I can die in a car accident but that dont stop me from driving. The very few people that develop schitzophrenia after LSD would have most probably gotten it anyway, the LSD just made them get it earlier. Same with marijuana users.
the thing is that this is exactly what others said on this forum about other drugs like weed for instance - and the same with them - because i didnt try LSD i dont want to say your wrong i always think "what if his right?" BUT the bigger chance is that it is an unwholesome act which wil cause bad results even if you dont notice them - if i would ask you some years ago about "weed" you would also find some explanation on why its good for you and how it doesnt have a bad side
I always knew weed was bad for me because i coughed my lungs out every morning and it had a negative influence on my life. I never said marijuana was good for me not even years ago. LSD is something completely different. I'm not promoting it and its not good for everybody, i'm just telling my experience with them. I find it interresting what LSD does to buddhists. There have been westerners that went to Asia to give LSD to buddhist monks to see what would happen. Some monks said the effect were the same as the highest state of enlightment, some monks said they felt very little because they were in a permanent high state of awareness already and some found it a scary experiencse.
Ram Dass gave an extremely high dose to his guru in India which few people would be able to handle well without help and guidance. His guru just laid down under his blanket for a while and came out with a huge smile on his face. Eckhart Tolle also tried LSD and he said it had similairities to enlightment but was not that impressed. But who know what dose he took and the quality might have been bad. The first time i took LSD i was dissapointed because i expected much more. But later i got my hands on some clean pure LSD and it completely blew my mind.
Without dragging this on and on, I will get to my friends downfall. He got into LSD (Fat Freddies Cat's) which were very powerful, one a 1/2 you would be strongly hallucinating and sweating your ring out, I don't recall them being that pleasant LOL.

He started to get get into these tabs nothing short of addictive, he would rather prefer to be in an altered state, than in reality and we often talked about "levels" or stages of consciousness we experienced. He due to his background in both Asian and Western Occult traditions, would use "candle" Kasina, such as LK Kop from Wat Salika (famous monk from Thailand) in these states of he would visit graveyards etc.
How do you know your fiend took LSD, was it lab tested? There are many drugs sold as LSD which in fact is something completely else. Here in Holland you can have all drugs tested in a lab for free but there are very little countries where this is possible. If he got addicted to it then it was definately not LSD. If i take LSD and do it again the next day then the LSD is inactive because it builds up tolerance fast. I have to wait at least one or two weeks before it works again. In fact if i take it more than once a month it loses its magic.
The LSD had also caused his teeth to rot.
Sorry but this is complete bullsh#t. LSD does not do this. Your friend sounds more like a heroin junkie, crackhead, meth user, mentally ill or just a nasty fella that didn't take care of himself.
So bottom line is, drugs are bad, they destroy your mind and lead you into the abyss, they cant offer any type of real enlightenment, just illusion.
If you are talking about heroin, meth, cocaine, cigarettes then i agree with you. But if you mean mushrooms, peyote, ayahuasca, LSD then i think you're a bit ignorant. The indians from north to south america have whole religions formed around these plants and consider them very sacred. They have not destroyed their minds but made there lives very fulfilling. I have as much respect for shamanism as i have for buddhism. Take a look at the docus i posted that might change your mind

But anyway this thread has taken a whole other direction. My question was if it would cause bad karma having a buddha tattoo under the waist but i guess not so i'll leave the tattoo alone. It does look pretty nice anyway i think.

Thanks everybody
Last edited by redcloud on Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

bodom

Re: buddha tattoo

Post by bodom »

redcloud wrote: But anyway this thread has taken a whole other direction. My question was if it would cause bad karma having a buddha tattoo under the waist but i guess not so i'll leave the tattoo alone. It does look pretty nice anyway i think.

Thanks everybody
Seems like a good place to end this then.

:anjali:
With no struggling, no thinking,
the mind, still,
will see cause and effect
vanishing in the Void.
Attached to nothing, letting go:
Know that this is the way
to allay all stress.

- Upasaka Keep Nanayon