Where does 30 minutes a day of meditation lead ?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
MarkNZed

Where does 30 minutes a day of meditation lead ?

Post by MarkNZed » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:05 pm

Hopefully the subject says it all. There is a myth of 10,000 hours required to master something. That is about 55 years at 30mins a day...

It would be great to hear from someone who has practised for a long time with around 30 minutes a day of meditation.

chownah

Re: Where does 30 minutes a day of meditation lead ?

Post by chownah » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:42 pm

Everyone is different. Try it yourself and see. Thirty minutes twice a day is more than twice as good as thirty minutes once a day. Many people get benefits from this in a month or three.
chownah

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:52 pm

Well, the Buddhist Path takes lifetimes for most people to complete. Even a stream-enterer may take seven lives to achieve arahantship. And I will bet he/she is diligent in his/her practice during those lives which would amount to many times more than 10,000 hours of meditation.

Also note that meditation, though essential, is not the entire eightfold path. The teachings are ideally kept in mind and practiced at all opportunities.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Sokehi

Post by Sokehi » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:08 pm

Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr

TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:13 pm

Well, if you practise walking meditation, I wouldn't aim to go to far in one go....!

seriously though, I'm the kind of person that reaps much benefit from practising meditation at any random time of the day, whatever I'm doing.
Sitting still for me is excruciatingly painful after a time; lying down is conducive to too much relaxation, so actually, walking for me (and any other activity you would care to mention) if practised mindfully and in a focused, single-pointed manner, is beneficial.

I have found.

In time, I have increased my 'meditative moments' to around 5 to 8 minutes each time. Which doesn't seem much, but I fit in a few of those daily, so it mounts up.

I'm sure purists will advise me that I need to be more disciplined, but to be honest, I am contented with what I do... and am working to improve in my own way....Hopefully, one day I will be able to say, "When am I NOT meditating..?!"

(It's a little like that joke: 'When my grandma was 70, her doctor told her that walking a couple of miles a day would do her the power of good. She's 85 now, and we don't know where the hell she is!')
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....

daverupa

Post by daverupa » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:28 pm

I recommend treating satipatthana as a lifestyle such that seated meditation/anapanasati for e.g. ~30 minutes isn't the full extent of one's bhavana efforts for a given day.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

Ben

Post by Ben » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:35 pm

Where does it lead?
...to the cushion.

Firstly, the notion of practicing anything for 10,000 hours to master when applied to the Path is a bit bogus, IMHO.
Focus instead on establishing yourself on the path and the fruits of practice will manifest in their own good time.
We are all different and the progress of one person can't be compared to that of another.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:40 pm

This is why it's important to practice mindfulness throughout the day, 30mins is a drop in the bucket. There is no reason why one can't keep bringing back objective awareness from moment to moment, the quality will vary but after a period of time together with formal sitting and walking practice it starts to develop a momentum. The best way to kick start the momentum is an intensive residential retreat.
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.” ― Ajahn Chah

alan

Post by alan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:49 pm

30 minutes leads to 35. 35 leads to 40.
Concentration is the key; don't fall into the common delusion that a few moments of basic awareness qualifies as meditation.

MarkNZed

Post by MarkNZed » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:21 pm

chownah wrote:Everyone is different. Try it yourself and see. Thirty minutes twice a day is more than twice as good as thirty minutes once a day. Many people get benefits from this in a month or three.
chownah
If you focus on the differences then certainly they are there. But we can also consider ourselves to be very similar. If we don't share experiences of meditation then we will not be able to assert we are different :)

When I wrote "long time" I had the idea of years rather than months in mind, I should have been more specific.

Could you explain why 2 sessions a day is more than twice as good as one session ?

MarkNZed

Post by MarkNZed » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:26 pm

Mkoll wrote:Well, the Buddhist Path takes lifetimes for most people to complete. Even a stream-enterer may take seven lives to achieve arahantship. And I will bet he/she is diligent in his/her practice during those lives which would amount to many times more than 10,000 hours of meditation.

Also note that meditation, though essential, is not the entire eightfold path. The teachings are ideally kept in mind and practiced at all opportunities.
Mkoll, you may have read my question as "how much meditation does it take to reach nibbana?" But I was just wondering about how the benefits of meditation accrue over time. For example does it inevitably lead to either increased periods of practice or abandon. I'm wondering if there are people out there who have kept a regular but short meditation practice up for a long time i.e. many years.

MarkNZed

Post by MarkNZed » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:39 pm

Would you know if there are sutta about there being 500 silent buddhas ?

It mentions this idea of the buddha being a "normal" human being. But suttas like http://www.dhammaweb.net/Tipitaka/read.php?id=157 don't indicate a normal human being (walking as a newborn etc). I assume believing this is part of the Theravada tradition.

The challenge of 7 weeks, 10 minutes a day is great. But I'm more interested in hearing from people who've practised for longer periods e.g. years with a short daily practise.

MarkNZed

Post by MarkNZed » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:40 pm

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:Well, if you practise walking meditation, I wouldn't aim to go to far in one go....!

seriously though, I'm the kind of person that reaps much benefit from practising meditation at any random time of the day, whatever I'm doing.
Sitting still for me is excruciatingly painful after a time; lying down is conducive to too much relaxation, so actually, walking for me (and any other activity you would care to mention) if practised mindfully and in a focused, single-pointed manner, is beneficial.

I have found.

In time, I have increased my 'meditative moments' to around 5 to 8 minutes each time. Which doesn't seem much, but I fit in a few of those daily, so it mounts up.

I'm sure purists will advise me that I need to be more disciplined, but to be honest, I am contented with what I do... and am working to improve in my own way....Hopefully, one day I will be able to say, "When am I NOT meditating..?!"

(It's a little like that joke: 'When my grandma was 70, her doctor told her that walking a couple of miles a day would do her the power of good. She's 85 now, and we don't know where the hell she is!')
Inspiring, thanks!

MarkNZed

Post by MarkNZed » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:44 pm

daverupa wrote:I recommend treating satipatthana as a lifestyle such that seated meditation/anapanasati for e.g. ~30 minutes isn't the full extent of one's bhavana efforts for a given day.
That makes a lot of sense. I hope the question was not implying that meditation is all there is to Buddhism.

MarkNZed

Post by MarkNZed » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:00 pm

Ben wrote:Where does it lead?
...to the cushion.

Firstly, the notion of practicing anything for 10,000 hours to master when applied to the Path is a bit bogus, IMHO.
Focus instead on establishing yourself on the path and the fruits of practice will manifest in their own good time.
We are all different and the progress of one person can't be compared to that of another.
Kind regards,
Ben
I don't think there is even agreement that 10k hours is relevant to other abilities! But I thought I'd mention it to get the ball rolling :)

It is great if "the fruits of practice will manifest in their own good time" is enough of a motivation for someone. Saying we are all different implies that we do compare ourselves with others. I have a suspicion that we are all more similar than different - deluded about how different we each are. The self being largely defined by differences.

I can see how many people would not like to compare themselves to others - they can choose to not read this thread ;)

A lot of the Dhamma is "selling" the benefits of the Path. It seems we don't start the path to find the fruits of practice - we start practicing hoping to get some fruit :)

It would be interesting to know how the path unfolds for typical laypeople - it seems there is a lot of details about how it works for monks. I can't see there being any harm in sharing experiences - if someone gets themselves caught up in a competition that is their attachment. But having reasonable expectations could help to know when to look at changing things.

I guess I'm getting my answer in some way through this thread - little experience sharing but lots of good intentioned advice.