Atanatiya Sutta

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Atanatiya Sutta

Post by SarathW » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:25 pm

What is the purpose of Atanatiya Sutta?

The name of Atanatiya Sutaa is very popular in Sri Lanka.
Many people do not know the content of the Sutta but there are may folk stories around it.
Normally Atanatiya is chanting towards the end of the Pirith Chanting very early in the morning (Overnight Chanting)
People are warned not to go out of the temple or house as the Ghosts (Yakka) running away from the premises. :mrgreen:

So what is the real story?

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .piya.html
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

faraway

Re: Atanatiya Sutta

Post by faraway » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:59 am

just a mantra tips from the deva for protection against annoying yakkha in the remote area who dislike buddhists. I wonder if it also works for my annoying boss in my office :tongue:

LXNDR

Post by LXNDR » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:11 am

at first read it looks odd

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:04 am

The Atanatiya Sutta is unusual in that it was taught by a deva, King Vessavaṇa of the Four Great Kings, to the Buddha, who then told the monks to learn it for their own protection. I have to admit that I have never taken the trouble to learn it.

It is found in the third book of the Long Discourses. Sutta 32 (D.iii.194).

The Āṭānāṭiya Suttaṃ Paritta is a shorter version with just the actual verses taught by Vessavaṇa.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

Ananda26

Post by Ananda26 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:28 pm

SarathW wrote:What is the purpose of Atanatiya Sutta?

The name of Atanatiya Sutaa is very popular in Sri Lanka.
Many people do not know the content of the Sutta but there are may folk stories around it.
Normally Atanatiya is chanting towards the end of the Pirith Chanting very early in the morning (Overnight Chanting)
People are warned not to go out of the temple or house as the Ghosts (Yakka) running away from the premises. :mrgreen:

So what is the real story?

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .piya.html
The Atanata Protective Verses appears as discourse #32 in the Long Discourses of the Buddha collection. It also appears in the Pirita Compellation.

It is popular in Sri Lanka. In Thailand the Royal Family invites a monk to recite the Atanata Protective Verses and Discourse on the Marks of a Great Person around the Thai New Years time.

Buddha told the monks by repeating the verses about King Vessavana telling these verses to protect monks, nuns, males, and female layfollowers. I recommend that people memorize them. This popular discourse is very helpful for protection and I recommend that people momorize them.

Sokehi

Post by Sokehi » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:41 pm

I suppose the only valuable protecting comes through practicing and investigating ones own mind. How is the chanting of protective verses - or better: believing this protects me effictively from harm, poverty etc. - different from superstitious believes? Same applies to the protective tattoos in Thailand... I just can't get my head around this kind of stuff to be honest.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:48 pm

Sometimes it's better not to try to work everything out by thinking.

Just Listen to the Paritta and relax.

It must be more benefit than listening to music videos or watching the World Cup.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

LXNDR

Post by LXNDR » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:46 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Sometimes it's better not to try to work everything out by thinking.

Just Listen to the Paritta and relax.

It must be more benefit than listening to music videos or watching the World Cup.
Magok Mahanayaka Sayadaw U Sandar Siri voices musically meaningful pitches in coherent succession

does this qualify as singing?

LXNDR

Post by LXNDR » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:52 pm

a more appropriate type of protection is described in the Natha sutta (AN 10.17)