Numerical Discourses of the Buddha Full Translation

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Post Reply
Ananda26
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:41 pm

Numerical Discourses of the Buddha Full Translation

Post by Ananda26 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 pm

The Numerical Discourses of the Buddha, a Full Translation into English, published by Wisdom Publications

The Numerical Discourses of the Buddha, a full translation into English by Bhikkhu Bodhi, and published by Wisdom Publications is now available.

Already available from Wisdom Publications are The Long Discourses of the Buddha, The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha, and The Connected Discourses of the Buddha.

These are all also available through pariyatti.org

User avatar
daverupa
Posts: 5980
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Numerical Discourses of the Buddha Full Translation

Post by daverupa » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:50 pm

see this thread: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5094

where it has already been announced, but good to see your interest in the Anguttara Nikaya.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

User avatar
Unrul3r
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Porto, Portugal

Re: Numerical Discourses of the Buddha Full Translation

Post by Unrul3r » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:55 pm

Ananda26 wrote:The Numerical Discourses of the Buddha, a Full Translation into English, published by Wisdom Publications

The Numerical Discourses of the Buddha, a full translation into English by Bhikkhu Bodhi, and published by Wisdom Publications is now available.
Indeed, it has been available since September of 2012.

:anjali:

walkart
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Re: Numerical Discourses of the Buddha Full Translation

Post by walkart » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:35 pm

Yesterday i finnished AN. Now it's a time for Vinaya Pitaka :meditate:

If somebody knows when KN will be translate? :thinking:

User avatar
daverupa
Posts: 5980
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Numerical Discourses of the Buddha Full Translation

Post by daverupa » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:45 pm

Most of the KN is available in pieces; the Sutta Nipata exists in a number of translations, as do the Thera-Theri-gathas, the Patisambhidamagga, and so on.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

Ananda26
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: Numerical Discourses of the Buddha Full Translation

Post by Ananda26 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:09 pm

walkart wrote:Yesterday i finnished AN. Now it's a time for Vinaya Pitaka :meditate:

If somebody knows when KN will be translate? :thinking:
There is a full translation into English of the Vinaya Pitaka by Pali Text Society.

pariyatti.org distributes for Pali Text Society in America.

In addition to Pali Text Society translations, there is a translation of Sutta Nipata by Ven. Saddhatissa. There are translations of Udana and Itivuttaka by John Ireland.

There is the Pali Text Society Translations of Theragathas and Therigathas.
Last edited by Ananda26 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

walkart
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Re: Numerical Discourses of the Buddha Full Translation

Post by walkart » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:10 pm

daverupa wrote:Most of the KN is available in pieces; the Sutta Nipata exists in a number of translations, as do the Thera-Theri-gathas, the Patisambhidamagga, and so on.
Thank you, it's true!
But actually i meant KN in hard version, like Wisdom Publication. :reading:
Ananda26 wrote: There is a full translation into English of the Vinaya Pitaka by Pali Text Society.

pariyatti.org distributes for Pali Text Society in America.
I'am reading now printed Vinaya of 1881 translated by Davids and Oldenberg.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bud/index.htm

User avatar
DNS
Site Admin
Posts: 11828
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, Estados Unidos de América
Contact:

Re: Numerical Discourses of the Buddha Full Translation

Post by DNS » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:48 pm

walkart wrote:
daverupa wrote:Most of the KN is available in pieces; the Sutta Nipata exists in a number of translations, as do the Thera-Theri-gathas, the Patisambhidamagga, and so on.
Thank you, it's true!
But actually i meant KN in hard version, like Wisdom Publication. :reading:
That would be nice if such a thing was published all in one book. I imagine the book would have to be huge, perhaps in much larger dimensions of say something like 18"x12" (45cmx30cm) hardcover to handle the high number of pages. Right now it is a collection of several smaller books, including Dhammapada, Sutta Nipata, Buddhavamsa, Jataka, etc.

Ananda26
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:41 pm

Re: Numerical Discourses of the Buddha Full Translation

Post by Ananda26 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:53 pm

I read all of one of the Pali Text Society translation before and now I have read aloud the Numerical Discourses of the Buddha, the Bhikkhu Bodhi translation, from the section of the ones through the section of the elevens and have started again with the ones. I recommend that people include Numerical Discourses of the Buddha in their Buddhist Study Cycle.


:reading: :reading: :reading: :reading: :twothumbsup:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], cappuccino, Johnnymac, one_awakening, Pondera, rightviewftw and 87 guests