Is it bad kamma to watch cinema movie online?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
faraway

Is it bad kamma to watch cinema movie online?

Post by faraway »

Let's say someone upload a full length cinema movie in free video streaming website such as youtube, dailymotion, etc.

1. If I watch the movie online, will my action generate fruit of bad kamma?

2. If I download the streaming movie by any means(*) and then watch it in my PC, will my action generate fruit of bad kamma?

Note:
*=video streaming website usually doesn't have Download button, but it's still possible to download the streaming video using specific software or browser add-on.

Thanks in advance,
:anjali:
walkart

Re: Is it bad kamma to watch cinema movie online?

Post by walkart »

Technicaly, i think that - yes.
TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

If your action involves, deceit, deprivation, alternative means other than those accepted or endorsed by the producers of such sites, then yes.

it is a breach of the 2nd precept.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

There was a lengthy earlier thread about illegal downloading:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7499

As well as the good advice given above, you also might want to examine your motives for wanting to watch the movie in the first place. What are you hoping to get out of it? Is it wholesome? How do you think watching the movie will make you feel and think afterwards?
TheNoBSBuddhist

Sam Vara wrote:There was a lengthy earlier thread about illegal downloading:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7499

As well as the good advice given above, you also might want to examine your motives for wanting to watch the movie in the first place. What are you hoping to get out of it? Is it wholesome? How do you think watching the movie will make you feel and think afterwards?
This is why I never watch Horror movies, or programmes/series with excessive violence, such as, for example, 'Banshee'.
It's actually a very good series, and extremely popular - but I cannot stomach the violent action.
It distorts my mind-set, and gives rise to sudden and unprompted images of violence, none of which are necessarily to do with the programmes or films seen.

so I steer clear.

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

I think It depends. Was the movie upload illegal to begin with? Youtube and other big video sites generally remove illegal movies pretty fast. If it's not actually breaking any laws, I would say it's no worse than just watching one on your TV.
faraway

Post by faraway »

I see. I guess it's indeed violate the 2nd precept because the copyright holder certainly doesn't give permission for anyone to see the movie for free.

I found this Q&A article:
Is watching free movies online illegal?

The phrase of the answer is really good:
The key is if the copyright holder has authorized the movie to be shown for free online.
If a person has intention to watch the movie online and he/she really does it, it can be said that the person violate 2nd precept:

The person is watching (taking) that (movie) which is not given (for free by the movie's copyright holder).

(although nitpicking person can argue if watching movie is same as taking object?)

But I wonder if the person didn't aware that watching online or downloading copyrighted movie are bad kamma, does he still commits bad kamma and will get the fruit of bad kamma?
Last edited by faraway on Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheNoBSBuddhist

No.
Kamma is Volitional, deliberate determined Action.

But if you are asking the question, presumably you have suspicions.

I always say that if it feels right, do it; when in doubt, don't.

faraway

Post by faraway »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:No.
How about if I changed the "watching movie online" action to more serious action like killing, so I reiterate my question:

"If a person didn't aware that killing living being is a bad kamma and he did the killing action, does he still commits bad kamma and will get the fruit of bad kamma?"

Sorry for a bit of Out-of-Topic.
TheNoBSBuddhist

faraway wrote:
How about if I changed the "watching movie online" action to more serious action like killing, so I reiterate my question:

"If a person didn't aware that killing living being is a bad kamma and he did the killing action, does he still commits bad kamma and will get the fruit of bad kamma?"

Well, I'm sorry, but that's a ridiculous analogy.
Killing someone is already wrong and you know it.
It's against the law.
This is an 'apples and oranges' argument, and yes, off-topic....

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

faraway wrote:"If a person didn't aware that killing living being is a bad kamma and he did the killing action, does he still commits bad kamma and will get the fruit of bad kamma?"
Yes. The laws of "action-result" apply everywhere.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
faraway

Post by faraway »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:
faraway wrote:

Well, I'm sorry, but that's a ridiculous analogy.
Killing someone is already wrong and you know it.
It's against the law.
This is an 'apples and oranges' argument, and yes, off-topic....
I asked about the killing analogy question, because you answered "no" for this question:
But I wonder if the person didn't aware that watching online or downloading copyrighted movie are bad kamma, does he still commits bad kamma and will get the fruit of bad kamma?
So can I conclude the person above is free of bad kamma result because he doesn't aware his action is belong to "stealing" despite he has intention to watch the movie for free?

Then in the killing example, the person awares his action is taking life of a living being, so he is not free of bad kamma result even if he thinks his action is not a bad kamma. Is my understanding right?
TheNoBSBuddhist

To be honest with you, a person who is intelligent enough to know how to download a movie on the internet, is probably also aware of the legal implications involved in illegal downloading.

However, the chance remains that some people may not be aware.

However, I have yet to meet anyone who does not know that killing another human being is both illegal and wrong.

Whether you think killing another person or not, carries bad Kamma, also depends on whether you practise Buddhism or not.

A Buddhist will always question his/her actions, in all cases.
A Buddhist will occasionally ask questions on what I would personally term 'Mild matters of a questionable nature.'
No Buddhist I know, would ask about 'bad kamma' with regard to killing another human being....

Zentruckdriver

Post by Zentruckdriver »

I suppose it's the digital version of getting a mate to open the
fire exit at the cinema and letting the gang in for free.

Ahh the matinee at the local flea pit,happy times. :embarassed:

Kind Regards Paul.
Dipping a toe in or pulling myself from a swamp...yeah that covers it for now.
TheNoBSBuddhist

Sat'dy mornin' pick-chers.... Tin-Tin, Champion the wonder Horse.....

Don't get me started!!