Is it bad kamma to watch cinema movie online?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
LXNDR

Re: Is it bad kamma to watch cinema movie online?

Post by LXNDR » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:16 pm

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:It's a simile, analogy.

You understood that, really.... :roll:
i might not be as bight as yourself, therefore i apologize for being dull :bow:

and still, does walking on a grass where it is banned, produce bad kamma?
Last edited by LXNDR on Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sokehi

Post by Sokehi » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:18 pm

LXNDR wrote:
do you think that everybody should align themselves with your perception of what is moral and right?
No I don't. That would just be a burden to me. You will see for yourself what's right or wrong, wholesome or unwholesome through your own practice. :anjali:
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr

Ananda26

Post by Ananda26 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:19 pm

faraway wrote:Let's say someone upload a full length cinema movie in free video streaming website such as youtube, dailymotion, etc.

1. If I watch the movie online, will my action generate fruit of bad kamma?

2. If I download the streaming movie by any means(*) and then watch it in my PC, will my action generate fruit of bad kamma?

Note:
*=video streaming website usually doesn't have Download button, but it's still possible to download the streaming video using specific software or browser add-on.

Thanks in advance,
:anjali:
If you are just observing the 5 precepts you are allowed to watch appropriate shows.

If you are observing the 8 precepts that includes abstaining from dancing, singing, music, and shows.

Renuniciates find abstaining from such shows allows more time for things like study and meditation.

daverupa

Post by daverupa » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:38 pm

LXNDR wrote:and still, does walking on a grass where it is banned, produce bad kamma?
This question isn't well-framed. It should ask, what sort of contextual intention must be in place for walking on grass to be unwholesome kamma?

This has been the shape of the answer to the OP, generally, and is useful. Morality isn't a list of line-item laws, it's a guidebook for embodying a wholesome velocity that helps to emplace a proper feel for Dhammically integrous effort.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

LXNDR

Post by LXNDR » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:51 pm

daverupa wrote:
LXNDR wrote:and still, does walking on a grass where it is banned, produce bad kamma?
This question isn't well-framed. It should ask, what sort of contextual intention must be in place for walking on grass to be unwholesome kamma?
so the ban shouldn't be a factor here, as with wicked intention one may tread grass when it's not banned as well, the ban isn't something which shapes the intention

daverupa

Post by daverupa » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:14 pm

LXNDR wrote:the ban isn't something which shapes the intention
It can be - not noting the sign will be due either to lack of awareness or the presence of a decision.

This lack of awareness is a problem to fix with mindfulness, but one can make unintentional mistakes all the time so this is a moderate matter.

But if seeing the sign, one must then make a decision - and this will be kamma, and a decision to ignore a sign probably has an unwholesome root, somewhere: impatience or frustration are aversion, greed for shade or greed for a shortcut or to snub the sign-maker... so, the sign can easily be a part of the context that informs the kamma one enacts.

But it's the kamma that we are to deal with, not the sign (...not the movie, not the...).
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

Sekha

Post by Sekha » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:10 am

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:If there was no 'loser' why would they have made the law?
They don't lose anything. Actually, they have never made this much money. They just figure they could make more.
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sekha

Post by Sekha » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:15 am

Sokehi wrote: The right to view that movie from it's owner wasn't given to you. You have taken something that wasn't given.
It is perhaps "taking what is not given" but so long as there is no prejudice, I do not think this is a serious breach.
Sokehi wrote:
Human laws are not a reference for moral laws.
I disagree. I have the standard of practicing the 5 precepts to my best AND following the laws of my country/nation. When I doubt what is right and what is wrong why not go the extra mile? It's good to get rid of your defilements.
Well. Germany in the early 40s is a good example.

LXNDR

Post by LXNDR » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:40 am

daverupa wrote:
LXNDR wrote:the ban isn't something which shapes the intention
But if seeing the sign, one must then make a decision - and this will be kamma, and a decision to ignore a sign probably has an unwholesome root, somewhere: impatience or frustration are aversion, greed for shade or greed for a shortcut or to snub the sign-maker... so, the sign can easily be a part of the context that informs the kamma one enacts.

But it's the kamma that we are to deal with, not the sign (...not the movie, not the...).
it also can be both ways, if i'm going to walk on the grass just in spite that's one thing, but if i'm simply doing a shortcut to the other side of the park that's another

i agree that urge to ignore ban can inform you of certain unwholesome tendencies in the consciousness but it's to be analyzed on a case by case basis

so obviously violation of proscription doesn't mean bad kamma by default

TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:11 am

A ban on walking on the grass, is a ban on walking on the grass; whatever reason you have for walking on the grass, may seem justifiable to you, and a valid excuse; but it won't wash or affect the Warden writing you a fine for having walked on the grass.

He won't care WHY you did it.
All he cares is that you contravened the ruling.

Same with speeding; same with talking on your 'phone while driving; same with not wearing your seat-belt. Same with letting your dog foul the footpath or public places, same with dropping litter, same with parking hastily in a family parking-spot at the supermarket, (when you don't have a young family) same with using a disabled bay at the rail station.(All violations or offences in the UK)

You can have a really damn good reason in mitigation as to why those things happened.
Doesn't wash.
Shouldn't have done it.

The reason people do it is because they're lazy, can't be bothered to do the right thing, and hope they won't get caught.
They KNOW it's wrong, so their actions violate regulations AND bring them negative Kamma.

And that's all I'm prepared to argue on the topic, because naturally, you won't agree with a single word of that.
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....

Sokehi

Post by Sokehi » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:54 am

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:The reason people do it is because they're lazy, can't be bothered to do the right thing, and hope they won't get caught.
They KNOW it's wrong, so their actions violate regulations AND bring them negative Kamma.

And that's all I'm prepared to argue on the topic, because naturally, you won't agree with a single word of that.
For most truly something is only then agreeable if it fits their preoccupations and views.

If one doesn't own the lawn he better follows the wishes of those who own it. Why wasting time arguing with the owners or their wishes? Just do it. Simple. If it's your lawn you are free to let strangers run across it if you wish. Someone who likes to break regulations and rules and seemingly get's some ego fostering out of it is just following desires endlessly and won't challenge his preoccupations. Practice doesn't start and end at the meditation cushion. He or she will only follow rules, laws and regulations if they please his or her rational. Someone who likes rules and regulations since they frustrate his desires, sees the benefit in not transgressing them, rejoices in the goodness of his or her actions. That's the immediate good khammic result - to live blamelessly and without remorse.

edit: spelling :anjali:
Last edited by Sokehi on Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr

Sekha

Post by Sekha » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:48 am

one cannot compare walking on grass and watching movies online.

In the first case, there is a potential for altering the property of another. Not in the second case. Meaning there is no PREJUDICE at the individual level if one was not going to pay regardless of whether one sees the movie or not.