Drug experiences and Buddhism

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
ihrjordan

Drug experiences and Buddhism

Post by ihrjordan »

Hi, around 2 or 3 years ago I had a horrible experience taking a certain hallucinogenic drug. I experienced everything from a mental torture so horrible that i felt like committing suicide at one point during it..to absolute ecstasy where i felt like every bit of inhibition I had in my mind had escaped me and I was experiencing something so pleasurable that NOTHING else mattered at that moment.. both experiences I was seeing the most twisted and absurd things my mind could produce. It would take me forever to explain everything i saw but in short i seen that the Ego and everything involved with self is crazy, delusional and at that time sickening and I honestly felt like I had experienced a part of Heaven, Hell and everything in between. I have heard that the reason most people convert to Buddhism is because they're suffering horribly (which i was and was probably a major reason for Buddhism ). But I'm also wondering if the Nightmarish/Heavenly/Crazy things i realised during this drug trip could have had a part in my practicing Buddhism and if anyone else has had a similar experience and feels the same that maybe it had a small part in this? P.S. I haven't done any drugs in a while and don't plan to I'm just curious as to whether maybe I'm on to something...
"Ko imaṃ pathaviṃ vicessati, yamalokañca imaṃ sadevakaṃ.
ko dhammapadaṃ sudesitaṃ, kusalo pupphamiva pacessati"
Mkoll

Re: Drug experiences and Buddhism

Post by Mkoll »

Hi jordan,

Yeah, I've had similar experiences with those kinds of drugs. You description matches how I'd describe it pretty well. They were certainly among the most intense experiences I've had in my life. And I do think they could have affected my outlook on life. They certainly did in the short-term! But my decision to follow the Buddha's teachings was a sober one. Whether my drug experiences played a part in that decision is hard to say for sure, but either way it is irrelevant to me.

One comparison that I would draw between drugs and Buddhist practice is the opposite effects they have on oneself. One takes drugs to relinquish control of the mind, to varying degrees depending on the drug. That's because the pleasure one gets comes from that lack of control, from having the mind thrust into a state where it is bewildered and experiencing pleasant feelings. On the other hand, one practices the Buddhist path in order to train and purify the mind. That brings a happiness that doesn't depend on external things.
35. Wonderful, indeed, it is to subdue the mind, so difficult to subdue, ever swift, and seizing whatever it desires. A tamed mind brings happiness.

36. Let the discerning man guard the mind, so difficult to detect and extremely subtle, seizing whatever it desires. A guarded mind brings happiness.

37. Dwelling in the cave (of the heart), the mind, without form, wanders far and alone. Those who subdue this mind are liberated from the bonds of Mara.

-Dhammapada
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
ihrjordan

Post by ihrjordan »

Mkoll wrote:Hi jordan,

Yeah, I've had similar experiences with those kinds of drugs. You description matches how I'd describe it pretty well. They were certainly among the most intense experiences I've had in my life. And I do think they could have affected my outlook on life. They certainly did in the short-term! But my decision to follow the Buddha's teachings was a sober one. Whether my drug experiences played a part in that decision is hard to say for sure, but either way it is irrelevant to me.

One comparison that I would draw between drugs and Buddhist practice is the opposite effects they have on oneself. One takes drugs to relinquish control of the mind, to varying degrees depending on the drug. That's because the pleasure one gets comes from that lack of control, from having the mind thrust into a state where it is bewildered and experiencing pleasant feelings. On the other hand, one practices the Buddhist path in order to train and purify the mind. That brings a happiness that doesn't depend on external things.
35. Wonderful, indeed, it is to subdue the mind, so difficult to subdue, ever swift, and seizing whatever it desires. A tamed mind brings happiness.

36. Let the discerning man guard the mind, so difficult to detect and extremely subtle, seizing whatever it desires. A guarded mind brings happiness.

37. Dwelling in the cave (of the heart), the mind, without form, wanders far and alone. Those who subdue this mind are liberated from the bonds of Mara.

-Dhammapada
Yes I completely understand what you mean, I just think that for some, psychedelic drugs might actually be a factor in them leading a noble life (If you have no prior knowledge of any spiritual path and take something for example) They might be freaked out..there very core shaken, for me it was anyways. But I will admit after looking at it more you're definitely right about SHORT TERM. I noticed that after about a week or so I fell back into old habits I swore i was done with after the trip and the whole experience did feel "artificial" on some level. I felt somewhat of a lightning bolt in the middle of my forehead the entire time so I knew this wasn't the answer because it didn't feel authentic like i had truly realised something and then I noticed i was feeling disconnected from reality after i while with anxiety and paranoia so I had to stop...I just think it's very interesting and ironic that in turn the very same thing I've sworn to not do, is the same thing that got me into what made not do them.. hilarious how this universe works huh?
"Ko imaṃ pathaviṃ vicessati, yamalokañca imaṃ sadevakaṃ.
ko dhammapadaṃ sudesitaṃ, kusalo pupphamiva pacessati"
Nicro

Post by Nicro »

I think it is overall irrelevant. If somebody is going to find the dhamma it is because they already have at least some natural inclination toward religion /spirituality.
Ananda26

Post by Ananda26 »

Abstaining from intoxicating drink and drug causing heedlessness and infatuation is one of the 5 precepts.

Abstaing from killing. Abstaing from stealing. Abstaing from sexual misconduct. Abstaining from false speech. Abstaining from intoxicating drink and drug causing heedlessness and infatuation.

In Long Discourse of the Buddha #31 Buddha also warns that intoxicating drink and drug is one of the ways of wasting one substance.