What will be your last thought in this life?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Post by SarathW » Fri May 16, 2014 1:01 am

According to Buddhism how should we train ourselves for our last moment?

:thinking:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

culaavuso

Re: What will be your last thought in this life?

Post by culaavuso » Fri May 16, 2014 1:08 am

SarathW wrote: According to Buddhism how should we train ourselves for our last moment?
The instructions given to Mahanama in SN 55.54 may be informative along these lines.
SN 55.54: Gilana Sutta wrote: Mahanama, a discerning lay follower who is diseased, in pain, severely ill should be reassured by another discerning lay follower...
If he should say, 'My mind is raised above the Brahma worlds and is brought to the cessation of self-identity,' then, I tell you, Mahanama, there is no difference — in terms of release — between the release of that lay follower whose mind is released and the release of a monk whose mind is released.

James the Giant

Post by James the Giant » Fri May 16, 2014 1:48 am

The time I almost died, my last thought as I hurtled through the air, my motorcycle sliding beside me, before I thankfully missed the steel pole was; "oops that was a mistake. What a pity."
I wasn't a buddhist then, and I wonder if it would be different now.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11

gben

Post by gben » Fri May 16, 2014 3:09 am

SarathW wrote:What will be your last thought in this life? According to Buddhism how should we train ourselves for our last moment? :thinking:

Hello SarathW,

I am a buddha and this is how your question looks to the real world:

If you spend your life thinking of the future and past then you never will have lived in the first place.

You were never told about thinking, which is why you have spent so many years using it at the wrong time and building a world out of it.

As you have trained yourself to exist in the mode of thought, now train yourself to exist in the world of non-thought, the real world.

From now on think only when it benefits the continuity of life.

If you use thinking in this way and only at those times, then you will think very little, you will be free from thinking and you will be free period. Being free of thought does not mean never thinking it means being able to move through all the worlds of thought and back to the real world at will. At this you will be a buddha and will help others be free.

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Fri May 16, 2014 3:15 am

gben wrote:
SarathW wrote:What will be your last thought in this life? According to Buddhism how should we train ourselves for our last moment? :thinking:

Hello SarathW,

If you spend your life thinking of the future and past then you never will have lived in the first place.

You were never told about thinking, which is why you have spent so many years using it at the wrong time and building a world out of it.

As you have trained yourself to exist in the mode of thought, now train yourself to exist in the world of non-thought, the real world.

If you use thinking in this way and only at those times, then you will think very little, you will be free from thinking and you will be free period. Being free of thought does not mean never thinking it means being able to move through all the worlds of thought and back to the real world at will. At this you will be a buddha and will help others be free.
Thank you for sharing what your line of thinking about how things should be.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll » Fri May 16, 2014 3:16 am

gben,

You still haven't responded to me in your 'I am a "buddha"' thread. I anxiously await you!

:bow:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings » Fri May 16, 2014 3:20 am

Mkoll wrote:gben,

You still haven't responded to me in your 'I am a "buddha"' thread. I anxiously await you!

:bow:
That thread has been locked, but if our buddha wished to answer your questions, he can start of new thread.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

pegembara

Post by pegembara » Fri May 16, 2014 7:34 am

If you knew what it would be, it would be yours. But since it isn't yours to begin with how would you know what it would be? :tongue:
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Fri May 16, 2014 8:10 am

SarathW wrote:What will be your last thought in this life?
"Did I turn the gas off?" :tongue:
Buddha save me from new-agers!

lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor » Fri May 16, 2014 8:27 am

I imagine the last thought of this life will be the first thought of my next life!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/

gben

Post by gben » Tue May 20, 2014 3:47 pm

tiltbillings wrote:That thread has been locked, but if our buddha wished to answer your questions, he can start of new thread.

What locks threads an ego or a buddha?

Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud » Tue May 20, 2014 4:28 pm

last action: metta

:candle:
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters

TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist » Tue May 20, 2014 4:38 pm

"Watch this space... to be continued....."

:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....

TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist » Tue May 20, 2014 4:40 pm

gben wrote:

Hello SarathW,

'GSOH' wouldn't go in your dating profile, would it....?

:meditate:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....

TheNoBSBuddhist

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist » Tue May 20, 2014 4:41 pm

gben wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:That thread has been locked, but if our buddha wished to answer your questions, he can start of new thread.

What locks threads an ego or a buddha?
A Buddha with an Ego, I think you'll find.

And no, please don't bother responding. There's only so much tickling my ribs can take.......