Why seventh precept split in to two?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

The Buddha gave teachings on how the eight precepts are to be practiced,[20] and on the right and wrong ways of practicing the eight precepts.[21]
1.I undertake to abstain from causing harm and taking life (both human and non-human).
2.I undertake to abstain from taking what is not given (for example stealing, displacements that may cause misunderstandings).
3.I undertake to abstain from sexual activity.
4.I undertake to abstain from wrong speech: telling lies, deceiving others, manipulating others, using hurtful words.
5.I undertake to abstain from using intoxicating drinks and drugs, which lead to carelessness.
6.I undertake to abstain from eating at the wrong time (the right time is after sunrise, before noon).
7.I undertake to abstain from singing, dancing, playing music, attending entertainment performances, wearing perfume, and using cosmetics and garlands (decorative accessories).
8.I undertake to abstain from luxurious places for sitting or sleeping, and overindulging in sleep.

============
The Ten Precepts (Pali: dasasila or samanerasikkha) refer to the precepts (training rules) for Buddhist samaneras (novice monks) and samaneris (novice nuns).[22] They are used in most Buddhist schools.
1.Refrain from killing living creatures.
2.Refrain from stealing.
3.Refrain from unchastity (sensuality, sexuality, lust).
4.Refrain from incorrect speech.
5.Refrain from taking intoxicants.
6.Refrain from taking food at inappropriate times (after noon).
7.Refrain from singing, dancing, playing music or attending entertainment programs (performances).
8Refrain from wearing perfume, cosmetics and garland (decorative accessories).
9.Refrain from sitting on high chairs and sleeping on luxurious, soft beds.
10.Refrain from accepting money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Precepts#Ten_Precepts
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
TheNoBSBuddhist

Re: Why seventh precept split in to two?

Post by TheNoBSBuddhist »

...What is the source of your first example of the 8 precepts?

I don't know the answer to this, it would be interesting to know also.

:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
Doshin

Post by Doshin »

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:
...What is the source of your first example of the 8 precepts?
Both examples are copy/paste from the wikipedia page.

_/\_
Knowing about dhamma, does not imply knowing dhamma
PsychedelicSunSet

Post by PsychedelicSunSet »

The factors cannot be combined since the practice differs in content. This precept does not concern just one matter as do other precepts. The first part concerns dancing, singing, watching and listening. The second part involves beautifying the body. Therefore the two parts cannot be turned into a single-faceted precept. These two parts are separated into two precepts when they occur in the context of the Ten Precepts. If these two parts were united as six factors then if the practitioner were to dance, sing, and watch entertainments but were to forgo cosmetics, such a one would not be in conformity with the six factors and the Uposatha would be broken.
-accesstoinsight.com
Sokehi

Post by Sokehi »

I was always wondering as well, good question.

But isn't it the same within the context of the 8 precepts? Singing, Dancing, Entertainment just don't belong to beautification. So it would make more sense as within the dasasilas, so why are there 8 precepts and not 9 just for clarification reasons?
Get the wanting out of waiting

What does womanhood matter at all, when the mind is concentrated well, when knowledge flows on steadily as one sees correctly into Dhamma. One to whom it might occur, ‘I am a woman’ or ‘I am a man’ or ‘I’m anything at all’ is fit for Mara to address. – SN 5.2

If they take what's yours, tell yourself that you're making it a gift.
Otherwise there will be no end to the animosity. - Ajahn Fuang Jotiko

https://www.youtube.com/user/Repeataarrr
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

here is an educated guess.
Cosmetics were not always used for beautification, and were used to protect from the sun also, as can be seen clearly in ancient egypt. It is more likely that for lay people the use of the two were often joined together when they went to a party, or festival, or in the case of a king to show his authority required certain ornaments. yet for a mendicant the two would be separated because they deal with two separate issues.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

10 sounds better; it's a nice round number . . .

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks all.
Good video David. I just took it more than a joke.
Modern society is thriving on breaking precepts. (liquor industry, gambling, pawn broking industry, meat industry, prostitution, weapons industry, politicians etc)

The Abrahamic religions should accept the Kamma, rebirth and stress (Dukkha) as a part of their teaching.
Without that, no reason to observe precepts.
:shrug:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Ananda26

Post by Ananda26 »

SarathW wrote:Why seventh precept split in to two?

The Buddha gave teachings on how the eight precepts are to be practiced,[20] and on the right and wrong ways of practicing the eight precepts.[21]
1.I undertake to abstain from causing harm and taking life (both human and non-human).
2.I undertake to abstain from taking what is not given (for example stealing, displacements that may cause misunderstandings).
3.I undertake to abstain from sexual activity.
4.I undertake to abstain from wrong speech: telling lies, deceiving others, manipulating others, using hurtful words.
5.I undertake to abstain from using intoxicating drinks and drugs, which lead to carelessness.
6.I undertake to abstain from eating at the wrong time (the right time is after sunrise, before noon).
7.I undertake to abstain from singing, dancing, playing music, attending entertainment performances, wearing perfume, and using cosmetics and garlands (decorative accessories).
8.I undertake to abstain from luxurious places for sitting or sleeping, and overindulging in sleep.

============
The Ten Precepts (Pali: dasasila or samanerasikkha) refer to the precepts (training rules) for Buddhist samaneras (novice monks) and samaneris (novice nuns).[22] They are used in most Buddhist schools.
1.Refrain from killing living creatures.
2.Refrain from stealing.
3.Refrain from unchastity (sensuality, sexuality, lust).
4.Refrain from incorrect speech.
5.Refrain from taking intoxicants.
6.Refrain from taking food at inappropriate times (after noon).
7.Refrain from singing, dancing, playing music or attending entertainment programs (performances).
8Refrain from wearing perfume, cosmetics and garland (decorative accessories).
9.Refrain from sitting on high chairs and sleeping on luxurious, soft beds.
10.Refrain from accepting money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Precepts#Ten_Precepts
10 is a nice round even number with the 8.
TheNoBSBuddhist

David N. Snyder wrote:10 sounds better; it's a nice round number . . .

Ah, But, Mr. Snyder.... Are you suggesting we hone the precepts down to two....?

Perhaps His Holiness the Dalai Lama was thinking this way, when he advised:
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.
:woohoo:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Mainly meant as tongue-in-cheek, humor, but if we wanted we could have just one:

1. No taking what is not given, i.e. theft:
which includes:

Not stealing someone's life (1st precept)
Not taking someone's property (2nd precept)
Not taking someone's innocence or partner (3rd precept)
Not taking someone's ability to know true information (4th precept)
Not taking someone's peace and quiet away through intoxication (5th precept)

But of course that wouldn't work with the expanded 8, 10, 227 and 311 precepts.
TheNoBSBuddhist

Well....it might.... But it would be an awful lot of work and condensing.....!

No, I am not up to the task, before you enquire!!

:jumping:

(Yes, just a little bit of fun.....!)